PDA

View Full Version : whats difference between SANDISK and Lexar?

markpb93
07-13-2004, 07:04 PM
I just got this camera Canon PowerShot A75 a few days ago, and i find it is the perfect camera for everyday users and it comes with 32MB compact Flash Memory.. My Question is for the compact Flash memory.. Whats the difference between SANDISK and Lexar? whats the difference with thier Features?

Which Compact Flash Memory I should Buy? What would you guys recommend

and i just went to SANDISK Compatibility Page on their Website and Canon PowerShot A75 is not compatible with the SANDISK flash card.. true or False?

Jake Conner
07-13-2004, 10:33 PM
False, unless this particular Sandisk card is Type II. For the A75, get whatever Type I CF card is cheapest, as long as it's not Mr. Flash brand. The speed of high-end cards doesn't tend to matter until you get into high-end cameras.

Jake

Gravy88
07-14-2004, 09:49 AM
I have a Lexar 12x card that I use with my PowerShot S-60. I have had no trouble with it. I have read that the Canon High Speed cards are Sandisk regular cards. I agree with Jake that you should just look for the best deal and stay away from the off brands.

Dave

D70FAN
07-14-2004, 01:36 PM
I agree with Jake that you should just look for the best deal and stay away from the off brands.

Dave

Actually, Jake said stay away from "Mr. Flash" cards. The rest, like PQI, PNY, and etc. work fine.

While you won't see an in-camera advantage to higher speed cards, you will notice a higher transfer rate when used with USB 2.0 full speed readers and computers.

Also as cameras advance you will see more low to mid range DC's with the ability to utilize faster Flash cards/transfer speeds. But, if cost, not work-flow, is a driving factor then it doesn't matter.

Even for my D70 I have one Ultra II and one regular 256MB Type I Flash cards, as well as several off-brand 128MB cards that I have purchased over the years. They all work just fine in both the D70 and my old 990.

The UltraII is used mainly for sporting events where I want to use the very fast sequential shooting avaiable on the D70. The majority of time the standard flash card works as fast as I can frame and shoot in single frame mode.

John_Reed
07-14-2004, 04:41 PM
I keep hearing you say that card speed only makes a difference in "higher end cameras." My personal experience with my FZ10 in burst mode (with SD cards) is that the write speed makes a LOT of difference when I'm using burst mode, the difference between "freezing" the viewfinder for maybe 10 seconds after a 5-shot burst with a "normal" card, and 2 seconds with a high-speed card. Likewise, the Canon PowerShot S1 IS writes a lot of data when it's in VGA movie format. I don't think a "normal" card could keep up with it, you'd need an extra-fast card to stay apace. Both of these cameras sell for around $500 or less; I think even the new Kyocera swivel-bodies may need a high-speed card to keep up with their data rates as well. All of these cameras wouldn't be known as "high end" cameras. So be careful what you proclaim to be true here.

Jake Conner
07-14-2004, 05:26 PM
OK. What I said is true for CF cameras in still mode as far as I know. And George, I think you mean USB 2.0 High Speed -- Full Speed is just as slow as 1.1.

Jake

fogllama
07-16-2004, 01:37 PM
I'll have to test whether the high-speed cards make a difference in shooting.

I have an assortment of CF cards. These include old 32 and 256 MB cards (not high-speed), a high-speed 32 MB, and a "45X" 512 MB.

While my timing methodolgy will be pathetic (one-banana two-banana...), shooting using raw mode (approx 4.5MB per shot) ought to take long enough to tell a difference.

Jake Conner
07-17-2004, 06:48 PM
With a 45x card, a 4.5MB file should take under a second if the camera utilizes the card to its fullest. 1x stands for 150 KB/s.

Jake

D70FAN
07-19-2004, 04:42 PM
OK. What I said is true for CF cameras in still mode as far as I know. And George, I think you mean USB 2.0 High Speed -- Full Speed is just as slow as 1.1.

Jake

Yup. Thanks. One of my pet peev's is 2.0 Full Speed, :mad: can't believe I made that mistake. Thanks again. :)