PDA

View Full Version : Dead/colored/stuck pixels

rgr003
10-14-2004, 08:38 PM
Hi folks. First time poster. I did a search for this topic but didn't find much. Hopefully, this hasn't been posted too often. How often does a dead, or in my case colored, pixel on the CCD/CMOS sensor occur?

I own a Nikon CoolPix5000 and I have had the CCD replaced twice since I bought it a couple of years ago. Both times the CCD had a colored pixel on it. The camera was under the 1-year warranty so the replacement was free. Now the warranty is expired and it still has a colored pixel on it. I am not willing to spend any more money on it so I haven't had it fixed.

I am thinking about buying the Canon Digital Rebel. I have read some good recommendations from some of the senior members on here. I also own an EOS Rebel film camera that I bought almost 10 years ago. It's a fantastic camera. I, my wife, and my stepdaughter have taken some great pictures with it. So I am excited about the Dig Reb SLR. BUT, I was reading the review of the Dig Reb by Jeff Keller and looking at the picture of San Francisco at night and I saw it immediately! The stuck-blue pixel in the middle of the black water. Like on many of the pictures I took with my Nikon, that's all I see when I like at the photo.

So is the stuck/colored pixel something we have to live with? Are larger resolution/size sensors more prone to this problem? My Nikon had a CCD. The Dig Reb has a CMOS sensor. Do both types of sensors have this issue?

Any comments would be appreciated before I invest over $1000 on this camera and accessories (and probably an extended warranty!).

Thanks,
Rich

Rhys
10-15-2004, 12:21 AM
I believe the pro cameras have better quality control.

Having said that, my experience is as follows:
Olympus C820L - dodgy area on CCD
Olympus C200Z - magenta pixels
Olympus C200Z (replacement) - no problems
Nikon 885 - green pixels
Nikon 995 - no problems
Nikon 3100 - no problems
Canon S1 IS - no problems

Thus, it would seem that problems are in the minority and that your experience is unusually bad.

nutmeg
12-17-2004, 03:24 PM
I think you're a little bit overreative. Replacing the CCD because of a single dead pixel? I just received a Canon 20D. There is one hot/stuck pixel. I don't think I'll bother to exchange it. I might get one with more bad pixels. In reality I doubt I would ever see that single pixel among the other 8.2MP. I have another camera, Sony V2, which has two stuck pixels. My Canon Elura camcorder has one. I never noticed that dead pixel until I was shooting at very low light and that white dot got really annoying. Otherwise, in normal lighting, that dead pixel has never got noticed.

Take a look at this review of comparing 20D to 10D.
http://www.anandtech.com/digitalcameras/showdoc.aspx?i=2272&p=11
The 20D has one and 10D has several bad pixels.

Well, hot/stuck pixels on CCD, CMOS, LCD are part of our life at this moment and in digicam, one or two had pixels should not have any effects on picture quality.

And it took me a long time to see that blue pixel you mentioned in the SF night scene.