PDA

View Full Version : write/read speed of A95

10-14-2004, 08:48 PM
What is the write/read speed of the Canon A95 ?

I know the camera comes with a "high speed" card which is rated something like 8x so I presume that means 1.2 MB/s, I don't know if the camera is able to fully take advantage of that card or if it could use a better card(without buying a card that would overkill it).

Alnath
10-15-2004, 03:24 AM
Donít worry about the speed of the card, i am using a 512MB 40X PQI card and a normal non accelerated 1GB Kingston card and in use there is no difference between the 2 used in a G6. However but them in a write accelerated camera like a Canon EOS-1D Mark II and there is a big hike in performance from the faster cards.

10-15-2004, 06:07 AM
As far as I know, it can take advantage of a higher speed card(than 1x)... I know it can't take complelty advantage of a card of 40x, but in between, there are other cards...

So, I'd still like to know what the read/write speed of the A95 is.

Alnath
10-15-2004, 08:10 AM
But it is not a WA camera thats my point, no matter how fast the camera is a basic card will only be marginaly behind a really fast one and the buffer in the camera will basicaly wipe out any speed advantage the faster card has.

Here are some speed tests in a 10D which one would presume is going to be faster than A95 and even in that the speeds are all pretty close http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6111 from that you can see that the speed rating on the cards is pretty subjective with some 24X cards being faster than some 40X cards etc.

10-15-2004, 08:30 AM
I totally agree with you, the 10D is surely faster than my A95, but looking at the speeds for the 10D, the maximum speed(Lexar 80x) is about twice as fast as the slowest speed(Sandisk Standard). Now I am sure that lexar 80x is WAY too much... So I looked a little furter...

Comparing the Sandisk standard(aka the slowest) to the Lexar 12x there was still an improvement of roughly 38%... Its not huge, maybe I won't even notice it, but I figure that if I am buying a card, I might as well buy one which can take advantage of my camera read/write capability without actually being EXCESSIVELY above what the camera can do.