PDA

View Full Version : FZ 20 Durability?

nooner
10-14-2004, 04:47 PM
:confused: I bought an FZ 20 & days ago. Today I exchanged it for a new one because the lens was making a grinding sound on startup and shutdown. I checked it against a new one and the sound was not there on the new one. Now I'm concerned about the longterm durability of the Panasonic cameras. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Maybe an FZ 10 user who has had their camera for a longer time. I assume the lens operate the same. I just wonder if the lens is too complex and ends up being undependable in the long haul. I'm trying to decide about taking it back for a refund before I try this one. Thanks for any opinions.

genece
10-14-2004, 06:26 PM
I have had a FZ10 about a year and feel the dependability is very good.
I do believe an adapter and a filter should be kept on the camera, in order To keep dust as far away from the lens as possible. Some have complained about dust getting behind the lens which is what may have happened to yours.
But I would relax I have taken many,many pictures and the camera has been turned on and off many times.
Gene

wmussatto
10-15-2004, 03:08 PM
The adapter will also protect the lens it the camera hits something with the lens extended. My first purchase was an adapter and a UV filter.

isis
10-15-2004, 04:47 PM
I'm ashamed to admit this but 1 week after i bought my new FZ-20, I dropped it on the pavement. Actually it slipped out of my unzipped camera bag while i was getting out of my truck. It hit the ground with quite a thunk. Most fortunately the camera is fine. The adapter was securly in place and the lens cap was on. the first thing I checked was whether or not the lens extended properly. I think the build quality is pretty solid on this camera and have heard others say the same thing. I know it's more sturdy than my other digital cameras. Regards, Marcia

Payne
10-18-2004, 06:57 PM
I'm ashamed to admit this but 1 week after i bought my new FZ-20, I dropped it on the pavement. Actually it slipped out of my unzipped camera bag while i was getting out of my truck. It hit the ground with quite a thunk. Most fortunately the camera is fine. The adapter was securly in place and the lens cap was on. the first thing I checked was whether or not the lens extended properly. I think the build quality is pretty solid on this camera and have heard others say the same thing. I know it's more sturdy than my other digital cameras. Regards, Marcia

Fortunately your camera and your extremely valuable lens are working fine.
I have an FZ10 and as the other members the first thing that I bought was a lens adaptor and a backpack "Targus" to take all the accesories to everywhere, this backpack is particullarly important to me since in my country there are many thieves. If I had a special bag for the camera it will be attractive for thieves and its probably that they try to snatch me it.

pattyangelis
10-19-2004, 09:08 AM
Fortunately your camera and your extremely valuable lens are working fine.
I have an FZ10 and as the other members the first thing that I bought was a lens adaptor and a backpack "Targus" to take all the accesories to everywhere, this backpack is particullarly important to me since in my country there are many thieves. If I had a special bag for the camera it will be attractive for thieves and its probably that they try to snatch me it.

I'm Italian and I've never herd of this pack. Could you explain please what it is and "Targus" is the brand?

Patrizia

Payne
10-19-2004, 03:41 PM
I'm Italian and I've never herd of this pack. Could you explain please what it is and "Targus" is the brand?

Patrizia

Sure, itīs the brand....I bought my backpack at Amazon.com. Right now, Im at work so I do not remember what is the specific model....but I guess the one that I bought is on the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000TR79I/103-9219934-3189420?v=glance&s=pc&n=507846