PDA

View Full Version : Any Mac users out there? SD card question

erikab
12-29-2005, 01:55 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been having problems with the SD card for my new *ist DS2. I used it once, downloaded images to my iBook no problem, and then was unable to do so again because the computer didn't recognize the SD card (no error message or anything; to the computer, the card just wasn't there). Formatting the card in the camera did not solve the problem.

Thought the trouble might be with the cable, so I bought a card reader. That allowed the computer to see the card, but now the card can't be unmountedt unless I log out of the Finder and log back in.

Please tell me this isn't normal and IS fixable. Could it be the card, or is there a basic incompatibility between my computer (running MacOS 10.3.9) and the camera (which apparently formats the card in MS/DOS format)?

Also, is there any point at all in e-mailing Pentax about this?

Thanks for any help,

EB

coldrain
12-29-2005, 02:15 AM
I need to ask some questions to get a clear picture and understand everything.

When I plug in a camera via USB to my mac, I do not get a card to show on the desktop. Instead Image Capture starts (or iPhoto, depending on the settings of Image Capture, or in my case Canon's own software if I want that).

So I do not understand that with Pentax it would be any different, the card is not supposed to act as a drive volume. Have you tried to start Image Capture (and turn on the camera too, in the correct mode according to the camera manual (I do not have a Pentax so I do not know if you have to put it in a certain mode, with my Canon I just have to turn it on))?

I think you just have to start Image Capture, the camera will then show up there and you can download all or a selection of photos to a folder of your choice. I am not familiar to the Pentax software, so I do not know if there is Pentax Mac software for downloading the photos too.

About the card in a card reader: The mac can not unmount volumes when they are in use still (it is to protect a volume to be removed when there is still a file open and used). So probably you still have a file open, and then it will not unmount, telling you the volume is in use. You need to close all files or programs that use the files on the card first. Do you have any files open from the card when it tells you it can not unmount it?

jeisner
12-29-2005, 04:50 AM
Firstly when the DS is plugged in to the computer the SD card will show up as a standard mass storage device (just like if a card reader is connected) in either windows, linux, mac, freebsd etc etc etc.. unlike Canon you shouldn't need to use any special software to access the card in the camera, a very good thing IMO..

Now to your specific problem, the MS/DOS format shouldn't make a difference, as suggested since you are having trouble even with a standard card reader, I agree something must still be accessing the card to stop it from unmounting?

I know a number of mac/pentax uses and none have this problem, so I think the problem is not the way the camera connects or formats the card...

erikab
12-30-2005, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the responses. I have a Canon point-and-shoot (the Digital Elph 230) and have never had problems downloading images to my computer, so the Pentax setup is obviously different. (Different kind of memory card, for starters, and the Canon software can read JPEG files but not Pentax RAW [.PEF] files.)

Since I posted my original question, I returned the SD card I was using and bought another of a different brand. This works slightly better: that is, I can use it with a card reader. But I still can't use it to download pictures from the camera using the Pentax-supplied cable.

At one level this obviously isn't a big deal: I can get at my photos for the moment. But I'm the kind of person who gets annoyed if things don't work the way they are supposed to, and it makes me nervous that things might suddenly stop working sometime when I really, really want the photos. So, again, any specific advice on getting a Pentax *ist DS2 to play nicely with Mac OS 10.3.9 would be most welcome.

Thanks,
EB

jeisner
12-30-2005, 03:52 AM
OK, do you have access to another machine? say a windows box, I curious to see what happens when you try connecting to it.. even a different MAC would be OK, as maybe the cable itself is faulty, ,or your individual camera is faulty as it should connect to a MAC.. I just want to eliminate your computer as being the cause of the problem first.. one step at a time ;-)

Thanks for the responses. I have a Canon point-and-shoot (the Digital Elph 230) and have never had problems downloading images to my computer, so the Pentax setup is obviously different. (Different kind of memory card, for starters, and the Canon software can read JPEG files but not Pentax RAW [.PEF] files.)

Since I posted my original question, I returned the SD card I was using and bought another of a different brand. This works slightly better: that is, I can use it with a card reader. But I still can't use it to download pictures from the camera using the Pentax-supplied cable.

At one level this obviously isn't a big deal: I can get at my photos for the moment. But I'm the kind of person who gets annoyed if things don't work the way they are supposed to, and it makes me nervous that things might suddenly stop working sometime when I really, really want the photos. So, again, any specific advice on getting a Pentax *ist DS2 to play nicely with Mac OS 10.3.9 would be most welcome.

Thanks,
EB

isis
01-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Hello - i had a similar problem with an Xd card. It worked once on a Windows box using a card reader but the next time i tried it the machine couldn't read it, said it wasn't formatted correctly. When I put the card back in the camera to try to get the images off using the USB cable, the card gave me a 'card error' message and the images were gone. I took the card back to Best Buy and the customer service person looked at it and said that he had never seen a Fuji Xd card with an M next to the Fuji logo on the card???? Best Buy just exchanged the card. All of my other cards, SD and Xd worked fine on both readers, my Mac and my windows box so i concluded it must have been the card. If i were you, i'd definitely try another card.

mkappy
09-15-2008, 10:11 PM
I have the same problem--I just purchased a new san disk 4gig SD and the pentax ISt will not format it either--sometimes it displays a card error as soon as I turn on the camera--sometime it will let me go the tools--format card;;OK and the NOT go any further. With my previous card it will re-format it and a red SD on the read lower body will light as it formats the card.
I sent an email to Pentax Support: http://pentax.quicksupportlink.com
and suggest you do the same.
On my imac it will show up in Disk Utilities but is grayed out and willnot let me format it (as a MS-Dos card)
By the way I checked my batteries and made sure they were OK and that the card is not locked, etc. The Pentax will take photos as usual with my previous card (from years ago when I could read/format with my MS-DOS pc)

S_p_i_d_e_r
09-16-2008, 02:48 AM
I have the same problem--I just purchased a new san disk 4gig SD and the pentax ISt will not format it either

Are you sure that you can use 4GB SDHC cards with your camera? Probably you can use cards up to 2GB (non-HC versions) and you need a firmware update to use 4GB/SDHC.

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/download_digital.html