PDA

View Full Version : Poll Raw vs. JPG

maflynn
10-13-2004, 01:45 PM
I'm a new owner of a Nikon D70. Wonderful camera and I've been experimenting with the various file formats.

So now as I get aquinted with this new camera I wondered how people use theirs. Basically what is the preferred file format for all of you experts out there and why?

Mike

Howard Gabbert
10-13-2004, 01:49 PM
My preferred format is JPG - I do not print pics, but usually put them on CDs. Since the display is usually dependent on the viewer's monitor or TV, the RAW format provides no benefit except to reduce the number of pics on a CD.

But, those who deal in prints and publishing probably prefer RAW.

So, bottom line - it depends on the primary usage or objective.

D70FAN
10-13-2004, 04:22 PM
My preferred format is JPG - I do not print pics, but usually put them on CDs. Since the display is usually dependent on the viewer's monitor or TV, the RAW format provides no benefit except to reduce the number of pics on a CD.

But, those who deal in prints and publishing probably prefer RAW.

So, bottom line - it depends on the primary usage or objective.

In Photoshop you can adjust JPEG images almost as effectively as in RAW, and fine JPEG is virtually lossless compression anyway.

I have used both and find RAW to be annoying for editing more than a few photos. With JPEG images I generally do all the modifications in one Photoshop session and save the original, and the adjusted copy, since I am not going back to the adjusted copy to make more modifications, detail loss is also negligable.

I haven't found an adjustment in RAW that I can't duplicate in JPEG. Prints that I have made using both formats turn out very similar (meaning very good) and even on careful examination no one can identify which is which.

Bottom line is: I don't really see much point in the RAW image format, other than selling larger flash cards.

maflynn
10-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Cool thanks

I just came back from NH and photographed the foliage up there. I took a number of the pictures in the RAW, err I mean Raw format :p

I too found the issue of converting and then working with it (in iPhoto) to be a pain. I seem to like to keep the camera on medium size and fine quality.

Mike

D70FAN
10-13-2004, 05:35 PM
Cool thanks

I just came back from NH and photographed the foliage up there. I took a number of the pictures in the RAW, err I mean Raw format :p

I too found the issue of converting and then working with it (in iPhoto) to be a pain. I seem to like to keep the camera on medium size and fine quality.

Mike

Mike, As a note of advice, and just for the sake of argument, always take pictures in full-size and fine quality. Medium size means that you are not using the full resolution of the camera sensor. And if you mean the (JPEG) quality is set to medium then you will get some compression artifacts.

The difference in memory card usage in the different JPEG and resolution modes is not worth the poorer quality original.

maflynn
10-14-2004, 05:43 AM
Thanks, I do that.

I noticed that in RAW mode you have no such choice, but then that makes sense, since RAW is before the camera processes the image.

I'm still learning, this camera is light years ahead of my Sony DSC p72, while that was a good camera, I felt its short comings like all of the point and shoot, (slow, inadaquite control over picture etc) were a hinderance to what I wanted to do.

I'll be looking for books and magazines to hone my skills.

Now I need to sell the sony, it will head off to craigslist.org.

Mike

D70FAN
10-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Thanks, I do that.

I noticed that in RAW mode you have no such choice, but then that makes sense, since RAW is before the camera processes the image.

I'm still learning, this camera is light years ahead of my Sony DSC p72, while that was a good camera, I felt its short comings like all of the point and shoot, (slow, inadaquite control over picture etc) were a hinderance to what I wanted to do.

I'll be looking for books and magazines to hone my skills.

Now I need to sell the sony, it will head off to craigslist.org.

Mike

I have just ordered Peter iNova's new book on the D70. I purchased the Nikon 990 e-book(s) and found them to be excellent. I'm sure that the D70 e-book will be worth it as well.

http://www.digitalsecrets.net/

You might want to take a tour through the Ansel Adams books. I checked them out from the library first, but then bought book 2 as a reference.

Rhys
10-14-2004, 06:44 PM
I prefer JPG but on the finest quality setting. Imagine you're out and you see President Bush in a compromising position with Dick Cheyney's daughter and you take a picture using RAW format. If the National Enquirer can't handle each of the RAW formats then they're not going to be able to publish the pcitures. Meanwhile, little Johnny who took a similar photo on a 3.99 throwaway compact has had the pictures processed and has sold them to the New York Times.

I'm also against extra post-processing.