PDA

View Full Version : Canon Powershot S2 IS battery life problem

Surya_Pramanik
12-26-2005, 01:21 AM
The S2 IS is reputed to give around 500 plus shots on 4 AA NiMH (2300 mAH) batteries. I am getting only 8 to 10 shots before the low battery indicator comes on and later the camera shuts off. I tried using normal alkaline batteries and they are giving similar life. Considering the fact the I turn on the LCD for around 30 seconds on an average before I take the shot, is this kind of battery life normal?

Can anybody suggest what the problem could be?

coldrain
12-26-2005, 02:10 AM
It seems that you may just have really bad batteries, try a good make of NiMH rechargables (and charger), the camera can not all of a sudden use more that 10 times the energy it normally would.

TampaJim
12-26-2005, 07:08 AM
Something is definitely wrong since you reported the same problem with a fresh set of alkaline - I am assuming a name brand was used. Give Canon technical support a call, they are fantastic and can help you sort this out. I use 2500mAH Energizer batteries and leave my display on tons and they last FOREVER almost - I actually start wondering if the thing is nuclear powered! LOL.

Severin
12-26-2005, 09:22 AM
I think something is wrong for sure. I get 300-400 or so pictures easily from one charge. The 500 number seems a little high from my experience, but if I use the viewfinder it extends it out further.

Dawoofo
12-26-2005, 10:52 AM
I use NiMH 2200 mah batteries and have taken as many as 1,700 outdoor shots (without flash) on one charge and have never had the battery indicator come on with the 2200s.

Try 4 regular alkaline batteries...they should give you about 400-500 shots (without flash). If they give you significantly less then you know your camera is defective in some way and needs repair.

joller
12-27-2005, 06:36 AM
Try 4 regular alkaline batteries...they should give you about 400-500 shots (without flash). If they give you significantly less then you know your camera is defective in some way and needs repair.

No way.
First of all not 400-500 but around 150 and not on regular 4 alkalines, but on the best alkalines you can find.
I had the same problem - thought my S2IS was too heavy on batteries, and I only used alkalines, I could get around 20-30 shots from the cheap ones(since I was too cheap to buy rechargables, I already got 3 sets at home!) I bought the best alkalines I could find, and I get around 150 shots with them.
After the camera initially complains about the batteries being low on charge, turns out the still have around 50-70% of their original capacity! (at least that's what the duracell in-bult battery tester says). So after letting them rest for a while, I can use them again and maybe get another 20-30 pictures before the camera shuts down again.

Apparently it's much better with rechargables (the quoted 400-500 shots with 2200-2500 mAh capacity)- will give it a go in 4 weeks time :)

Dawoofo
12-27-2005, 09:04 AM
No way.
First of all not 400-500 but around 150 and not on regular 4 alkalines, but on the best alkalines you can find. <SNIP>

Umm, yes way. I used regular Energizer and Duracell alkaline batteries from Walmart for about the first month that I had my S2 IS, and I averaged approximately 600 shots per day (in about an hour and a half span) and had to change batteries every day since one set wouldn't quite get me through filling up my 1Gb memory card. Settings were on highest resolution, superfine compression, no flash, "shoot only" image stabilization, single shot autofocus, and probably 75% of the pictures I took were on burst mode.

Your mileage may vary. :)

JimBollman
12-27-2005, 08:07 PM
I have only had my S2 a little over a month. I made the decision to use Lithium batteries instead of rechargeable since I knew the camera would sit for a week or more at times and I wanted it to always be ready without swapping out batteries every time I picked it up.

I am still on my first set of Lithium and have taken 600+ pictures and several movies. I don't use the flash much or the back LCD. No sign of low battery indicator yet. I carry an extra set of batteries if I'm leaving the property.

With the price you can get Lithium now at discount stores I'm happy with my decision.

Jim...

joller
12-29-2005, 06:01 AM
I made the decision to use Lithium batteries instead of rechargeable
Jim...
Lithium bateries are not recommended for S2IS by Canon. They say they may damage the camera, since they heat up a lot.

Umm, yes way. I used regular Energizer and Duracell alkaline batteries from Walmart for about the first month that I had my S2 IS, and I averaged approximately 600 shots per day (in about an hour and a half span) and had to change batteries every day since one set wouldn't quite get me through filling up my 1Gb memory card. Settings were on highest resolution, superfine compression, no flash, "shoot only" image stabilization, single shot autofocus, and probably 75% of the pictures I took were on burst mode.

Your mileage may vary.

Yes, your milage may vary, but even Canon quotes in the user manual up to 130 pictures can be taken with a set of alkalines (every second shot with the flash, and changing from wide to max tele). With Duracell Ultra that's about what I get (I do use flash about every second picture and I don't use burst mode a lot. All other setting are exactly as yours). With normal cheaper alkalines (duracell doesn't even recommend them for usage in digital cameras), I get about 40-50 shots before they go flat.
Maybe it uses less energy on burst mode, and definitely it uses less without the flash, so that might be the reason - I'll see how I go with the rechargables. If I get much less than what Canon quotes, I'll return the camera.
I never even got close to half what you quote with alkalines - that's why my 'no way' :), didn't mean to offend anyone, sorry if I did.

JimBollman
12-29-2005, 06:48 AM
Lithium bateries are not recommended for S2IS by Canon. They say they may damage the camera, since they heat up a lot.

I looked in the manual and don't see where it says not to use Lithiums so I ran a couple of quick tests.

I did a:
2 minute movie - Batteries cold
6 minute movie - Batteries cold
Flash pictures with LCD display as fast as the flash can recycle for a dozen photos - Batteries cold

I can't think of a situation that would draw more power.

I do use good quality lithiums, "Energizer e". I pay $16 for 10 at the local wholesale warehouse. If I was a power user I would probably go with rechargeable. The last set of rechargeable I had (previous camera), taking about 4000 pictures a year, last less that 2 years. Not that much cheaper than lithiums.

Jim...

joller
12-29-2005, 07:36 AM
I looked in the manual and don't see where it says not to use Lithiums so I ran a couple of quick tests.

I did a:
2 minute movie - Batteries cold
6 minute movie - Batteries cold
Flash pictures with LCD display as fast as the flash can recycle for a dozen photos - Batteries cold

I can't think of a situation that would draw more power.

Jim...

There you go:

Canon is silent in the manual about whether it is okay to use AA lithium batteries in the S2. The S1 manual specifically states that lithium batteries should NOT be used. Though all other information about batteries is the same in the S2 manual, there is no mention about lithium batteries.

Canon's online S2 FAQs say not to use lithium or magnesium batteries (item #4). Speaking with Canon tech support, they highly recommended "NOT" using lithium batteries because they heat up and can damage the camera.
source:
http://www.digicamhelp.com/canon-s2-blog/index.htm

4. Never use manganese or lithium batteries, as these battery types may overheat in the camera.

source: http://alpha02u.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900

Dawoofo
12-29-2005, 09:31 AM
I never even got close to half what you quote with alkalines - that's why my 'no way' :), didn't mean to offend anyone, sorry if I did.

No offense taken. I wasn't exaggerating, though...maybe the burst mode saves some battery juice by not allowing things like autofocus and autoexposure to kick in like it does when depressing the shutter button halfway. I don't use burst mode nearly as much these days, but now I'm using the rechargables and they last longer than I do. :p

JimBollman
12-29-2005, 01:59 PM
There you go:

source:
http://www.digicamhelp.com/canon-s2-blog/index.htm

source: http://alpha02u.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900

Thanks for the pointers. I think I'll chance it for now, unless someone has had an actual problem. I'll check the batteries when I have taken a lot of photos to see if I feel any elevated temperatures.

A friend has been using Lithiums in his S1 for about a year now with no problems. I used them for 2 years in an Olympus D40 with no problems.

Jim...

GoodAsGold
12-30-2005, 12:13 AM
What type of lithium batteries do you use? And, are they not rechargeable? Can we charge a certain type of lithiums on the same charger as the NiMH batteries? I just want to make sure I buy the right lithiums. Thanks!

I have only had my S2 a little over a month. I made the decision to use Lithium batteries instead of rechargeable since I knew the camera would sit for a week or more at times and I wanted it to always be ready without swapping out batteries every time I picked it up.

I am still on my first set of Lithium and have taken 600+ pictures and several movies. I don't use the flash much or the back LCD. No sign of low battery indicator yet. I carry an extra set of batteries if I'm leaving the property.

With the price you can get Lithium now at discount stores I'm happy with my decision.

Jim...

JimBollman
12-30-2005, 09:35 AM
What type of lithium batteries do you use? And, are they not rechargeable? Can we charge a certain type of lithiums on the same charger as the NiMH batteries? I just want to make sure I buy the right lithiums. Thanks!

I use "Energizer e" and they are not rechargeable. I can't give you true useful life till I run down the first set. I'm at about 600 pictures and 10 minutes worth of movies at this time. Plus all the play time learning all the controls and menus. They have a shelf life of over 10 years so you can stock up when they are on sale. I use them in LED flashlights for all my cars, that way the flash light will out live the car and I have yet another spare set for the S2 if I have any of my cars along (4 cell flash light).

I ran another test this morning to see if I could warm up the batteries, I went in the burst mode and took about 2 dozen shots in a row, cells still cool to the touch.

Jim...