PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Need Pentax *ist DS software

Planetrider
12-18-2005, 08:03 PM
My software was lost in a move (along with a bunch of other important items :( ). Can anyone help me out? I need the software for a new computer and I no longer have the originals.

I'm desperate!

Thanks!!!!

coldrain
12-19-2005, 03:03 AM
Did you contact Pentax (or its importer)?

astro
12-19-2005, 03:49 AM
Why do you need the software? I still have mine in the box, never even opened it nor used it once. It's pretty useless.
If you need a raw converter, there are tons of free ones, many better than pentax's, that can easily be found online.

Planetrider
12-19-2005, 08:11 AM
To be honest it's been some time since I moved and I only just started using my camera. I wanted to use it with all of the supplied materials - including the software. I've got a new computer and wanted to put it on there.

Also - I have some paranoia (probably unfounded) that some of the items that will come out for upgrading the camera will be associated with the software too.

I've seen some upgrades to firmware (yes, I realize this is different software) and thought perhaps one day they'd be linked.

Mostly, I'd just like to have my whole package together again. If anyone is not using theirs, or would be able to offer me up a copy, I'd appreciate it very much.

I've contacted Pentax, but no response within the "5 days" they said they'd respond.

P.

WightWalker
12-20-2005, 04:52 AM
A copy of the manual in pdf format, which has been UNLOCKED to enable it to be printed (can you really believe that Pentax are that paranoid that they protected the file to stop it being printed) is also available at:

http://www.catbells.plus.com/Utilities/istDS_webUlocked.pdf

The RAW converter supplied with the Pentax SW is OK but a tad too contrastry - yes there are other converters but none are as good as using the RAW converter with Adobe Photoshop CS but obviously that comes at a price.

rprii
12-20-2005, 06:43 AM
Did not realize that the pdf manual was locked to prevent printing. You are correct, how crazy. Thanks for the unlocked version. :)

WightWalker
12-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Following up on my previous posting, here's a sequence of RAW conversions:

Adobe RAW Converter set to default with linear contrast.

WightWalker
12-20-2005, 11:38 AM
Set to auto

WightWalker
12-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Set to auto with linear contrast.

WightWalker
12-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Set to default

WightWalker
12-20-2005, 11:52 AM
I guess that at the end of the day, it's down to personal preference.

Planetrider
12-21-2005, 07:47 AM
Thank you for posting this file. I've downloaded it. I'll confess though, I don't know what an ISO file is. Does it automatically self extract?

Ishkabibble
12-21-2005, 09:58 AM
An ISO file is an image of a CD. Most burning software will process it properly if you just double-click it. If yours will not, you'll need to read the manual or online help system for your burner package. A quick search on Google for ISO and the name of your burner software should also do the trick.

I would concur with the comments about the software on the CD; there are better packages out that cost nothing.

WightWalker
12-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Thank you for posting this file. I've downloaded it. I'll confess though, I don't know what an ISO file is. Does it automatically self extract?

Nero Burning ROM will process ISO files to recreate the files on CDROM.

WinISO will also process the ISO file and is available as shareware from http://www.tucows.com/get/209285_87283

WinRAR will also do the the trick and is available from http://www.download-it-free.com/winrar/