PDA

View Full Version : Increased noise

Phill D
12-17-2005, 03:40 AM
Anyone have any suggestions on how to tweak this image in photoshop but not increase the noise. Here is my attempt at improvements but with excessive noise in the sky.

Phill D
12-17-2005, 03:42 AM
Here's the original just very slightly cropped to centre up the pylon a bit better.

D Thompson
12-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Phill - here is a quick try.

levels adj layer
curves adj layer
ran thru neat image
save for web

Dawoofo
12-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Agree, just remove the noise first and then have at it. :)

lovepictures
12-17-2005, 03:10 PM
By veiwing these photos, and with my minimal knowledge is it safe to assume that by noise you are refering to the "grainy" effect that say 1000 speed film would give you with a 35mm? (especially at night)

Thanks!
Rebekah

Norm in Fujino
12-17-2005, 03:32 PM
By veiwing these photos, and with my minimal knowledge is it safe to assume that by noise you are refering to the "grainy" effect that say 1000 speed film would give you with a 35mm? (especially at night)

Yes. A number of dedicated Noise Reduction programs are available to remove the noise. Try googling for Neatimage, Noise Ninja, Noiseware.

Phill D
12-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Thanks guys you've convinced me to get a noise reduction programme your version looks much better Dennis thank you, I think I'll need an adobe book for Christmas though to understand exactly what you did. The only thing I would want to tweak now would be the sunrise glow across the centre of the shot & the sky at the top which ought to be a slightly deaper blue. Then it would be a better reproduction of the actual view. It was that combination of the sunrise glow and the moon that caught my eye as I was driving past this morning scene.

D Thompson
12-18-2005, 09:01 AM
Thanks guys you've convinced me to get a noise reduction programme your version looks much better Dennis thank you, I think I'll need an adobe book for Christmas though to understand exactly what you did. The only thing I would want to tweak now would be the sunrise glow across the centre of the shot & the sky at the top which ought to be a slightly deaper blue. Then it would be a better reproduction of the actual view. It was that combination of the sunrise glow and the moon that caught my eye as I was driving past this morning scene.
Phill - there are several noise reduction programs around. I don't use it much, but Neat Image has a pretty good demo. There are a few options not available in the demo tho. There are several good books on Photoshop out there. Actually what I did was fairly simple. You can paint on the layer adjustment mask to really fine tune where the changes will be. Here is another stab at it. btw - nice shot.

Phill D
12-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the complement Dennis, I still don't think I quite captured the scene properly though. I've a few more with different aspect ratios & from slightly different angles I might try & experiment with. PS certainly opens up a lot of possibilities the variations seem endless. Yes I think a good book is going to be my next purchase I think it would be the next best thing to looking for a TARDIS to go & try again:D

D Thompson
12-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the complement Dennis, I still don't think I quite captured the scene properly though. I've a few more with different aspect ratios & from slightly different angles I might try & experiment with. PS certainly opens up a lot of possibilities the variations seem endless. Yes I think a good book is going to be my next purchase I think it would be the next best thing to looking for a TARDIS to go & try again:D
Phill - there is still nothing like getting it "right in the camera", but PS is endless in what can be attained. Not only your basic PS, but then there are 3rd party filters which really expand its power. Good luck and hope you enjoy playing around in PS (or whatever you use).