PDA

View Full Version : Help learning DOF

CoolJai
12-15-2005, 06:01 AM
Hi Experts,
Here I am, trying to learn the correct DOF settings. I've read a lot of articles on DOF which gives us the different methods of controlling the DOF, one being controlling the aperture, the smaller the aperture, greater the depth. I was trying to focus on a target and take snaps with different aperture, with the shutter speed set to a constant value.Now, my question is, do we use the aperture priority mode and then let the camera choose the proper shutter speed or do we control both of these manually.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards,
CoolJai

ktixx
12-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Well I am definitely not an expert...but here are my 2 cents:
It is entirely up to you. I know for most shooting I use aperture priority (probably 90% of the time) If my histogram looks off I will tell the camera to over/under expose the shot and take it again to slightly tweak the image. It is your choice to shoot fully manual, but I think it is easier to just have the camera select the correct shutter speed. There are times when you will need to adjust the shutter speed and aperture manually, but those situations usually have tricky lighting and your camera will expose the shot wrong (like shooting a night scene with a spot light. The spot light should have slightly blown highlights but your camera will try and properly expose for the light. making the rest of the picture too dark.
Ken