PDA

View Full Version : resolution & compression

rhc
10-12-2004, 12:00 AM
i was curious for shooting pictures should i always use the highest resolution & the highest quality (superfine) compression? i'll just be printing out 4X6's & will not be doing any cropping. will i be getting the best quality pics with those settings?

kpurcell
10-12-2004, 06:00 AM
I personally shoot at highest quality because you never know what you will do with a picture down the road. I say, "storage is cheap" so go big. That said, you can print 4x6 with 2 MP very well, I believe. I used to have a 1 MP Kodak dc215 and it took nice photos that I printed mostly in that size and they looked almost film quality. My printer was probably the reason they were not as good. I was not as good as my current printer.

D70FAN
10-12-2004, 06:11 AM
i was curious for shooting pictures should i always use the highest resolution & the highest quality (superfine) compression? i'll just be printing out 4X6's & will not be doing any cropping. will i be getting the best quality pics with those settings?

I, and all of the photographers I know, shoot at the best quality JPEG settings. Someday there will be one shot that you will want to print at 8 x 10 or even 11 x 14, and you will be happy you did.

With the cost of storage so low, there are few reasons to shoot at lower resolutions and quality settings. So if you don't have to...don't.