PDA

View Full Version : Black and White photos with Digital Rebel?

meng-chieh
10-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Is the Digital Rebel capable of shooting in black&white mode?

jamison55
10-12-2004, 03:19 AM
No DSLR can shoot in B&W. That's a trick they leave to the PnS'ers. The reason is that most folks w/DSLR's would rather do any necessary post processing in PS, including conversion to B&W. Since Canon was nice enough to include PSE with the DReb, conversion to b&W is simple.

PS - I suggest you use the hue/saturation control to convert to B&W instead of the remove color command. Completely desaturating the image leaves the color information intact so you can tone the B&W image.

D70FAN
10-12-2004, 07:00 AM
No DSLR can shoot in B&W. That's a trick they leave to the PnS'ers. The reason is that most folks w/DSLR's would rather do any necessary post processing in PS, including conversion to B&W. Since Canon was nice enough to include PSE with the DReb, conversion to b&W is simple.

PS - I suggest you use the hue/saturation control to convert to B&W instead of the remove color command. Completely desaturating the image leaves the color information intact so you can tone the B&W image.

Another excellent suggestion. The only way to convert color to gray scale.

meng-chieh
10-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Thanks guys! I just tried it and it looked great!

eagle17
10-12-2004, 01:51 PM

The canon EOS-20D has a black and white mode that gives you smaller jpg images if you shoot jpg. otherwise you can use almost any software to convert a color jpg to b/w.

jay
11-02-2004, 01:27 PM
I agree with everyone else,

if you're trying to get images of people b/w I have a great tut for ya Great black and white tut (http://www.thinkoutsidethesoftbox.com/tutorials/bwconversion.htm)

eagle17
11-04-2004, 10:53 AM
That was a great tutorial... thank you.

ziggyferret
04-05-2006, 06:13 PM
THe Canon 20D can shoot B&W and even has built in filters to do it. It will do Sepia as well. It is possible to do infrared too.

aparmley
04-05-2006, 06:18 PM
THe Canon 20D can shoot B&W and even has built in filters to do it. It will do Sepia as well. It is possible to do infrared too.

On 10-12-2004:

The canon EOS-20D has a black and white mode that gives you smaller jpg images if you shoot jpg. otherwise you can use almost any software to convert a color jpg to b/w.

A little late to the party there Ziggy. Nearly a year and half late by my calendar. . . LOL ;)

timmciglobal
04-05-2006, 06:26 PM
He's trying :p

Tim

aparmley
04-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Helluva first post! LOL!!!

But your right tim!

Sorry Ziggy - Where are my manors. Welcome to the DCRP! I assume you shoot with the 20D - Lets see some of your images! :)

24Peter
04-05-2006, 07:43 PM

What exactly was Jamie talking about? They all have a B&W mode...:confused:

And ziggy my man... ain't we got enough fresh posts to keep you busy? :)

98 SNAKE EATER
04-15-2006, 07:20 PM

My XT has a B&W mode:confused:

Took me a while to find it, but it's there:o

Rick