PDA

View Full Version : Memory card help for a rookie...

GregofTribe12
10-11-2004, 06:46 PM
Hello, this is probably a dumb question, but here goes...
I just purchased the FZ20 and it my first digital camera. Actually, it's my first camera period and my knowledge level is ZERO. I have put it on the P (automatic) setting while I get my feet wet. Over the weekend I took about 90 photos (I bought a 256 memory card) and still had about 30 or so left on the card but wanted to try to load them on to my computerto see what happened. That went fairly smoothly but when I went back to use my camera there were only 30 shots remaining, like before, and all my photos were gone. Can't you use the card over and over? If all my photos are off the camera, shouldn't I have 100+ shots available again? I'm very confused and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Greg.

genece
10-12-2004, 05:42 AM
After transferring to the computer you need to remove the pictures from the card. I do not know how you transferred them but if you used a program there is an option to remove the pics from the card after transfer.
If you just copied them from explorer you will need to remove them yourself. Or depending on the operating system instead of the copy option use the move option. Clear as mud ..Huh

judge9847
10-12-2004, 06:25 AM
After transferring to the computer you need to remove the pictures from the card. I do not know how you transferred them but if you used a program there is an option to remove the pics from the card after transfer.
If you just copied them from explorer you will need to remove them yourself. Or depending on the operating system instead of the copy option use the move option. Clear as mud ..Huh
Genece's answer is quite correct: some programs that transfer the image from the camera to the computer offer you the option of automatically removing the images from the memory card once the transfer is complete. You should check and see if there is such an option with your software.

What I don't understand is that you seem to be saying that there was only enough space on the card for another 30 images or thereabouts. That does seem a bit weird.

The first thing to say is that yes, of course you can use the card over and over and over and over and over ... you get the idea. It's one of the beauties of digital photography - you don't have to keep on buying film! So don't worry about that.

As for not being able to see the original 90 images I don't understand why that might be. Put the camera into P mode - does the LCD display on the back of the camera tell you "No valid image to play" or words to that effect? If so, then you have no images on your card.

If it does not display that message, or one like it, there are images on your card.

Now I have an FZ10 but I'd think this applies to the FZ20 as well, so this is how you can get rid of them: go into P mode and then switch the camera on. Press the button that's marked with a dustbin symbol (on the FZ10 it's directly below that symbol) and then press it again a second time. You'll see two options: using the rocker buttons move down to "All Delete" and then press the rocker to move to the right. It says "Delete all pictures?" and the options of "Yes" or "No". Use the left rocker to go to "Yes" and then press the down rocker. Your card will be cleared of all the images it has and you should now see a blue screen with the words "No valid image to play".

You've cleared the card.

As my own personal preference, I always transfer the images to the computer and then once I'm satisfied that I've got them all I delete the card ready for next time. But that's just my way of doing it and others might be able to give you their own preferences.

(And if the FZ20 is different to what I've described, I'll apologise now and let an owner of that camera give you the corresponding method for it.)