PDA

View Full Version : Non-digital EOS lenses on D-SLR?

Lee
10-11-2004, 11:59 AM
Some years ago I purchased a good bit of Canon EOS SLR equipment and am now considering purchasing a Canon digital SLR, but am wondering how my lenses will behave differently on a digital body. I've assumed I only need to purchase a body and accessories since I have:
24mm
28mm-200mm zoom
35mm-135mm zoom
100m-300mm zoom
I'm unsure if there are any problems using these existing lenses, and how their focal lengths change in digital (is that correct?).
Thanks for any feedback you can give me!
Lee

jamison55
10-11-2004, 12:08 PM
Your lenses should work fine on a Canon DSLR as long as they are Canon EOS lenses. I have only heard of issues with the older off-brand lenses (Sigma, etc.)

On the Digital Rebel and the 20D, you can figure out the focal length of your lenses by multiplying them by 1.6 (e.g. your 28-200 becomes a 45-300). The higher end Canon DSLR's have less of a crop (1.3x and none I believe).

D70FAN
10-11-2004, 04:23 PM
Some years ago I purchased a good bit of Canon EOS SLR equipment and am now considering purchasing a Canon digital SLR, but am wondering how my lenses will behave differently on a digital body. I've assumed I only need to purchase a body and accessories since I have:
24mm
28mm-200mm zoom
35mm-135mm zoom
100m-300mm zoom
I'm unsure if there are any problems using these existing lenses, and how their focal lengths change in digital (is that correct?).
Thanks for any feedback you can give me!
Lee

In addition to the crop factor, I haven't heard of any problems with older Canon lenses. In fact I've read that almost anything Canon has made for 35mm will work.

Just keep in mind that manual lenses are still manual. A point lost missed by many.