PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Basketball Games

oleander63
12-06-2005, 09:20 PM
I need advise on how to take good indoor shots of a high school basketball game. I own a Sony DSC H1. I tried the Sport mode but it didn't take in enough light. Pictures were very dark. Any good manual settings I can try. Thanks in advance.

kanderson42
12-29-2005, 09:33 PM
you want the largest aperture (smallest f number), and an iso of around 1600 to get a shutter speed as close to 1/500 as possible. If the photos come out too dark you may want to drop the shutter a little but then you risk motion blur. If the pictures look dark on your screen you can still pull them up in photoshop; a lightend photo with a fast shutter will look better than a blury one right out of your camera.

Pringle9666
01-08-2006, 01:08 PM
I am having the same exact problem with the same exact camera! I just shot about 200 pictures of an indoor cheerleading competition and used the burst. The burst was great for getting a lot of nice action shots but using the sports setting made everything dark. I tried to lighten them up after I downloaded and they became very grainy. I am taking my instruction book to the next game to try to figure out a better way to get the pictures. I'll let you know if I come up with some better settings, I am still learning about this camera and I am a novice to say the least.

Pringle9666
01-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Just got back from a basketball game and I got it figured out. Using the Sony DSC-H1, set your dial to "A". Using the jog dial on the front, move it so you are changing the aperature to 2.8 (that is as low as it will go). It will get pretty bright. Next, hit the menu button to change the film speed from "auto" to "400" (that is as high as you can go). You can use the burst feature when the camera is set on "A". I was very impressed with the pictures I took. Good luck with yours.