PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation Request: SD Memory Card Reader

Spanky
10-10-2004, 05:07 PM
DCRP Forum Members: Please give me a recommendation for a fast, high quality SD Memory Card Reader for my new DMC-FZ20. Thank you.

genece
10-11-2004, 05:23 AM
Not much difference ....I use a lexar.

Spanky
10-11-2004, 07:46 AM
Thank you.

propwash
10-11-2004, 12:53 PM
The one I have is made by Microtech. The actual model is called a ZiO. I actually got it free with a mail in rebate as a result of buying a Mini DV camcorder. It works great with the camcorder and the SD cards from two different digital still cameras. I don't know if there is a speed difference in the different readers or not. Mine is by no means anywhere near the "top of the line" (remember what I paid for it!), but it seems to work just fine. It transfers images to my computer much faster than I can do by hooking the USB cable up to the digital camera. Plus, I can transfer images without using up the charge on my camera's batteries.

genece
10-11-2004, 02:11 PM
If your computer handles USB2 you would want a USB2 reader ..same if you could use firewire I think I have seen firewire readers, much faster.

D70FAN
10-11-2004, 04:37 PM
If your computer handles USB2 you would want a USB2 reader ..same if you could use firewire I think I have seen firewire readers, much faster.

Firewire is only moderately faster, due to the file transfer method. USB 2.0 High Speed is actually faster on paper at 480Mb/sec. Firewire (IEEE1394) is about 400Mb/sec. but considerably more expensive and harder to find.

Also most computers do not have Firewire I/O's, so you would need an adapter card. Of course this is true for computers not equiped with USB 2.0 High Speed as well, but at least USB 2.0 is backward compatible to any USB port.

Spanky
10-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Thanks you guys!
I appreciate your input.