PDA

View Full Version : Which batteries to take on an extended trip

AnalogueToDigital
12-04-2005, 10:50 PM
So I'm reading the manual for my precious new *ist DS, and it says I can expect 750 shots from CR-V3s, or 650 from AA lithium, or 560 with Ni-MH AA (All figures with 50% flash - which is more than I'd use it).

How realistic are these claims - that sounds like a LOT of photos?

I was planning on taking two sets of NiMH AAs, a charger, and an adaptor for Indian power plugs - but maybe I should just stock up on a few CR-V3s or lithium AAs ?

Any advice ?
Oh, my trip will involve 3 weeks in India - and yes I know 1 billion people live there and I assume that camera batteries will be available:rolleyes: but I may not know where to look, or want to spend the time looking:)

Thanks!

WightWalker
12-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Using AA NiHi 2100mAH batteries, I manage over 600 shots when taken on consequative days.

Unlike my old Fuji S602 in which partially used batteries would die after a weeks lack of use, the Pentax *isDS retains the charge.

I would recommend using a minimum of 3 sets of 2300 mAH (or higher) just in case one cell was to die rendering a set U/S and keep them charged swapping sets across as you do so.

If I remember correctly, Pentax advised against the use of rechargeable lithium as the voltage could exceed the safe working level for the camera - shame 'cause they're much lighter that NiHi.

Ishkabibble
12-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Energizer produces a charger for NiMH that will fully charge a set of 2100mAH in 15 minutes flat. With 4 cells, it sells for $60CDN. I would suggest this as the ultimate solution for you. If you are genuinely concerned that you will still run out of power, drop an extra $20 for 4 additional cells. I personally don't see the need, I've never managed to drain my batteries in a single outing, and I shoot for hours.

Ishkabibble
12-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Energizer produces a charger for NiMH that will fully charge a set of 2100mAH in 15 minutes flat. With 4 cells, it sells for $60CDN. I would suggest this as the ultimate solution for you. If you are genuinely concerned that you will still run out of power, drop an extra $20 for 4 additional cells. I personally don't see the need, I've never managed to drain my batteries in a single outing, and I shoot for hours.

PS. I first saw these chargers at Walmart Canada; if you are in North America, you might try there first. Havn't seen them anywhere else yet.

AnalogueToDigital
12-05-2005, 04:53 PM
I'm thinking I might take 3 sets as suggested (thanks WW - oh and nice photos BTW :) ) and the crv3s that came with the camera. That should get me 2000 shots easily, so I could leave the charger at home. If/when? I flatten the 3 sets of NiMH I could start looking for Li AAs.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?
2000 shots is after all a LOT of photos ! ( 83 rolls of 24 :D )

patrickt
12-05-2005, 05:42 PM
For a trip, I would probably get two sets of lithium AA and put one in the camera and carry the spare. When I put the second set in the camera I'd decide whether I needed another set for a backup or not. I wouldn't want the hassle of recharging or, perish the thought, checking out of a hotel with my batteries sitting in the room charging.

eduardofrances
12-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Have 2 sets of Rechargable NIMH 2100 (or higher) batteries and a charge, and buy as back up some CR-V3 (the ones that you throw to the garbage after they drain out!) but Dont use CR-V3rechargables a friend of mine had this ones after 20 shots... Bang camera dead, he sent the camera for reparation and the problem was that the CR-V3 batteries toasted some stuff in the camera :( !!

AnalogueToDigital
12-06-2005, 04:33 PM
thanks for the tip about recharging crv3:eek:

WightWalker
12-20-2005, 04:48 AM
thanks for the tip about recharging crv3:eek:

No - the comment was about rechargeable crv3 batteries & NOT recharging crv3 batteries.

You CANNOT recharge the cells that were supplied with the camera.

astro
12-20-2005, 07:02 PM
When you buy rechargable AA batteries, make sure you get a good charger. A good charger is more important than the batteries themselves. Many of your average cheapo $10 chargers have problems charging past 50% of the battery's capacity according to this site that tested many chargers.
Their recommendations, get the Maha C204 charger. I got one, and I'd say the 2500mAh cells I use with it gives me about the same amount of power as the CR-V3 batteries that came bundled.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

Spot focus
12-20-2005, 11:57 PM
I have had a good run out of Inca 2600 & 2500 batteries and Inca rapid charger which uses an intermitant charge system ;)

AnalogueToDigital
01-04-2006, 07:00 AM
well I'm back, and I have to say i am disappointed with the NIMH AAs. They lost a LOT of capacity in storage. I took 3 sets of (Energizer) 2500 mAh AAs and the first set were OK, but the second set I got maybe 70 photos and the 3rd set around 50. The batteries were new, and were fully charged before leaving.

Next time I travel internationally I'll take a few sets of CRV3 Lithiums. The one set that came with the camera have lasted a long time, and they are very light. I'd then look for replacement CRV3s when I put my last set in the camera. It is reassuring that you can use standard AAs in a pinch.

If travelling within my country where I don't need a transformer and plug adaptor, THEN I'll use the NIMHs and a recharger since weight will be less of a problem and NIMHs are cheaper.

WightWalker
01-04-2006, 10:30 AM
NiHi batteries will take several charges before they reach their full capacity.

That aside, only 70 & 60 shots from a set of charged batteries is less, far less than I would have expected.

It's always worth swapping batteries around as all 4 don't discharge at the same rate; that way, when pushed, it's possible to create an 'extra' set - albeit a bit of a hit & miss method.

Ishkabibble
01-04-2006, 12:56 PM
NiMH batteries don't hold a charge for a long time; this is one of the reasons that they are not recommended for use in low-draw devices such as clocks or TV remotes. I have read that they lose 10% of their remaining power per day, and while I don't know if this amount is accurate I can certainly attest to the rapid loss of power while off the charger. This is one of the reasons I suggested the Energizer 15min rapid charger, which (thank you Santa) I now own and love. You might consider one as an investment if you travel regularly. It's a lot cheaper than your CR-V3s, and more convenient. I would suggest that you still carry the lithiums, but use them only when charging hasn't been an option. (I still have my originals, and my camera is has already rolled past 10,000 images).

When I travel, I plug my charger in while I unpack and transfer images to my laptop, then transfer batteries before I sleep. Once more in the morning and I have a full 3 sets and am good for many days. If I realize in the morning that I've forgotten (which does happen), I need only 15 mins and I have a fully charged set, good for 600+ photos. In all honesty. this charger is so fast I can't imagine going back to my old charging system.

Regarding your pitiful battery performance on sets 2 and 3: I would assume this is a combination of battery design (drain mentioned above) and the fact that full capacity of the battery isn't reached until you have cycled them a few times (My Kodak pack says 8-10 cycles before full capacity is achieved).

Rhys
01-04-2006, 01:34 PM
For extended trips, perhaps you should invest in some lithium batteries for when your NIMH batteries die?

Alternatively you could look at this:
http://www.siliconsolar.com/shop/catalog/AA-Solar-Battery-Charger-p-135.html

AnalogueToDigital
01-04-2006, 06:08 PM
I looked at the websites of some major battery brands (energizer and duracell), they quote losing 1% of charge per day of storage. This would have been acceptable, but I believe they lost capacity significantly faster than that. I wanted to avoid carrying a charger (plus adaptor and transformer) because of the weight and bulk, but it seems a neccessity if travelling for more than a week or so with NIMH.

Rhys
01-04-2006, 06:36 PM
I looked at the websites of some major battery brands (energizer and duracell), they quote losing 1% of charge per day of storage. This would have been acceptable, but I believe they lost capacity significantly faster than that. I wanted to avoid carrying a charger (plus adaptor and transformer) because of the weight and bulk, but it seems a neccessity if travelling for more than a week or so with NIMH.

Try Lithium batteries. They should be lighter and easier to carry. Plus you never know whether you'll get electricity in India.

My vote goes to the solar battery charger though. Having said that, you could knock one up for significantly less cost. All you need is wire, solar panels, a battery holder/holders and a diode.