PDA

View Full Version : MZ5 died, switching this week - advice pls!

AnalogueToDigital
12-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Hi all,

My trusty MZ5 died this week. I had been planning on switching to digital a little later down the track, but I'm off to India this Saturday so the pressure is on to choose a digital replacement.

Money is tight, as I wasn't planning this expense.

I have a Tamron 28-200 which I was happy with on my MZ5 - will this work OK with a *ist DL ? I know it'll be 42-300 equiv. But i could swap lenses with the kit 18 - 55 to cover wide angle.

How much of an issue is dust on the CCD ? I've never been into swapping lenses - just seems a hassle when travelling.

How does the sigma 18 - 125 compare with the tamron or sigma 18 - 200 ?

My final option would be to go for an ultra zoom rather than an SLR ? Any thoughts on trade off b/w $$$, convenience, focal range, and image quality for say a Fuji s9000/9500 ?

Thanks

Clyde
12-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Hi all,

My trusty MZ5 died this week. I had been planning on switching to digital a little later down the track, but I'm off to India this Saturday so the pressure is on to choose a digital replacement.

Money is tight, as I wasn't planning this expense.

I have a Tamron 28-200 which I was happy with on my MZ5 - will this work OK with a *ist DL ? I know it'll be 42-300 equiv. But i could swap lenses with the kit 18 - 55 to cover wide angle.

How much of an issue is dust on the CCD ? I've never been into swapping lenses - just seems a hassle when travelling.

Thanks

The tamron you have will be an even better lens on a pentax dslr. You will only be using the sharper center of the lens. Frankly, if you are happy with 28-200, you might just buy the plain kit camera, and put off lens purchasing in general. The 42mm equivalent lens you will be starting with (the new wide angle of your 28-200) is still a little wider than the old fashioned 50mm prime folks used to use on their K1000. After you get back from India, you will have a good idea of what new lenses you might want. Alternatively, look for an old manual wide prime for pentax on ebay. Pentax is the only manufacturer that actually uses the good old cheap lenses from back in the day.

Just a pentax digital body will get you pretty well set up, that and a memory card. The pentax is also the DSLR that uses standard AA batteries.

Bet you weren't expecting to hear such a cheap recomendation!

Clyde

AnalogueToDigital
12-04-2005, 04:55 PM
thanks clyde - cheap recommendations are the best IMHO:)

any idea how the AF on the *ist DL would go with the Tamron zoom?

Clyde
12-04-2005, 05:11 PM
thanks clyde - cheap recommendations are the best IMHO:)

any idea how the AF on the *ist DL would go with the Tamron zoom?

No idea. However, I have a friend with the older *DS, and it has a wonderful viewfinder. Evidently the *DL doesn't have the nice viewfinder. I used my friends camera with an old cheap 50 1.7 prime manual lens in a dive bar with a jazz trio. I was able to manually focus no problem. This would have been much more difficult on the chintzy viewfinder on my canon XT. With my canon, I find good AF a necessity. With my friends pentax, manual focus is quite reasonable, and AF is a luxury item. I believe AF should be a luxury item. A good viewfinder should be standard equiptment.

So, if it were me, I would go for the *DS2, which has the higher quality viewfinder. That removes some of the cheapness of the *DL, but the viewfinder is probably the only area where pentax can actually claim to be qualitatively better than the competitions products.

Clyde

AnalogueToDigital
12-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Well - I took the plunge. Bought the DS, came with a kit lens of Sigma 18 - 125 F 3.5 - 5.6 with the crop factor it'll give me 27-188 right ? Anyone know if this lens is any good?

I also considered the DL, but the DS was almost the same $ and most people here seem to think it's better despite the smaller LCD.

I also liked the Nikon D50, but I went pentax because

1) with a decent length zoom kit it was significantly cheaper
2) it fits my old Tamron 28-200, so if I need 300mm equiv I can use it - I tried using it in the shop, so far the AF seems OK and the shop was darkish
3) I can get some nice old Pentax primes when I get more adventurous
4) actually the biggest factor - it can use AA batteries, which will be more available in India

Thanks for all the advice to people from this, and my previous thread.
Will post pics from India upon my return !

Greg

Clyde
12-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Well - I took the plunge. Bought the DS, came with a kit lens of Sigma 18 - 125 F 3.5 - 5.6 with the crop factor it'll give me 27-188 right ? Anyone know if this lens is any good?

I also considered the DL, but the DS was almost the same $ and most people here seem to think it's better despite the smaller LCD.

I also liked the Nikon D50, but I went pentax because

1) with a decent length zoom kit it was significantly cheaper
2) it fits my old Tamron 28-200, so if I need 300mm equiv I can use it - I tried using it in the shop, so far the AF seems OK and the shop was darkish
3) I can get some nice old Pentax primes when I get more adventurous
4) actually the biggest factor - it can use AA batteries, which will be more available in India

Thanks for all the advice to people from this, and my previous thread.
Will post pics from India upon my return !

Greg

You made a fine choice. The sigma lens is pretty well thought of. It (along with its bigger cousin, the 18-200) is/are probably the best wide range zoom out there, I would be suprised if it wasn't better than your old tamron. The downside to your purchase is that if you don't take great pictures, you can't blame your equipment.

Looking forward to your India pics,

Clyde

Clyde
12-05-2005, 08:52 AM
BTW, pentax came out with a firmware upgrade (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14768) for the *DS. It improves the continous AF, making it available in all modes, as opposed to the one (maybe "sports"?) that it used to work for. You should get the upgrade before you go to India.

Clyde

AnalogueToDigital
12-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the link.

Has anyone installed the update ? did it go smoothly ? Sometimes firmware updates cause headaches, and I don't have time to iron out any problems it may create before I go. I think I might hold off till I get back.

Ishkabibble
12-06-2005, 09:36 AM
There is a thread regarding the firmware update. So far, there have been no posts regarding update failures. I've flashed my camera three times and had no problems. The process is simple, just don't use dead batteries.

If you will be taking shots in continuous drive mode, the AF improvements might prove useful. I can think of little else that would prove vital for your trip.