PDA

View Full Version : XP Free Digital Photo Tools

F3HP_2_the_grave
12-03-2005, 05:59 AM
There are a few tools available free from Microsoft that may interest some of the folks out there. They can be found at

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

They include (text from site)

Color Control Panel Applet

Professional-level photographers and designers know that getting consistent, accurate color from file to screen to print and beyond is a requirement for great results. This new tool helps you manage Windows color settings in one place.

RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer

Are you a serious photographer? Now you can organize and work with digital RAW files in Windows Explorer (much as you can with JPEG images). This tool provides thumbnails, previews, printing, and metadata display for RAW images.

Image Resizer

This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files with a right-click.
CD Slide Show Generator

With this PowerToy you can view images burned to a CD as a slide show. The Generator works downlevel on Windows 9x machines as well.

Enjoy

Matthew
12-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks, those are some great tools. I went to an article on the page about color management, 10 Little Known Photoshop CS2 Camera RAW Tips (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/raw_tips.mspx). I have photoshop2, but there was an interface there that I have never seen before. It looked like a direct communication with the camera type interface. I don't hook my camera up to my computer because I've heard scare stories about voltage differences damaging the camera, and I can afford to replace cf cards where I can't afford to replace my rebel. :)

That said, is there anyway (without using bridge) to get such an interace using the raw section of cs2? You know, using it to browse a folder? Right now I'm using RawShooter Essentials 2k5, but I should be able to use my 800 buck program over a free one... right?

F3HP_2_the_grave
12-04-2005, 11:14 PM
Communication with a PC is such an integral part of digital photography, I would suggest you go that route. If it were true that cameras were getting smoked, I am sure that the manufacturers would do something.

Make sure you PC has a decent power supply 300W or more, a UPS (APC) and I am sure you will be ok. The software Canon offers to commuicate with the camera sure beats xp. You could well find you have more flexibility being able to talk directly to the camera. CS2 can browse images on the camera in an explorer type window as long as you hook it up. Get your $800 worth.

Good Luck

D70FAN
12-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Stay with the card reader, but only because it is a heck of a lot easier, and in many cases faster.

That said, there is no way that a USB +5V connection can damage your camera. In fact I'm pretty sure that the +5V function is left unconnected on the camera side. In the nearly 10 years that I have been using digital cameras, I have never heard of the USB connection damaging a camera.

Also, because the computer is not powering the camera, the computer power supply has no effect on the camera.

As a final note Nikon Capture 4 will allow complete camera control via USB as well as being perfectly matched to your D50 for RAW and JPEG post processing. Definately worth the $99.

coldrain
12-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Stay with the card reader, but only because it is a heck of a lot easier, and in many cases faster.

As a final note Nikon Capture 4 will allow complete camera control via USB as well as being perfectly matched to your D50 for RAW and JPEG post processing. Definately worth the $99.
In many cases being the D70(s) with its slow USB 1.1... the D50 has a fast USB 2.0 connection (as have most other DSLR's from Olympus, Pentax, Canon, KM).

As a final note USB camera control and RAW and JPEG post processing comes free with a Canon.

F3HP_2_the_grave
12-12-2005, 08:40 AM
Microsoft have it in a nutshell.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/default.mspx

Enjoy

vjack
12-15-2005, 01:42 PM
Unfortunately, I can't get the Raw viewer to install on my XP SP2 machine. Keep getting "Error 1904.Module" errors. Oh well.

F3HP_2_the_grave
12-16-2005, 12:06 AM
Maybe your XP SP2 needs a CLA (format NTFS)

I always split my drive C: & D:, keep the good stuff on D:, and create a bootable DVD with all the software slipstreamed with the latest service packs, and all the latest hardware drivers. Reloading is a breeze, plus you are well positioned for recovery if needed.

Rhys
12-16-2005, 06:20 AM
I don't regard Windows as very reliable at all. Write caching on the drives is a nightmare waiting to happen. Apple handles the process far better.

F3HP_2_the_grave
12-20-2005, 05:54 PM
This is from dpreview.com

Monday, 19 December 2005
Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer update
Microsoft has released an update to its RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for Windows XP, which was made freely available in June this year. Version 1.0 adds support for RAW image files from selected Canon and Nikon cameras. The two Canons are the EOS 1D Mark IIn and the s EOS 5D. Supported Nikon cameras include the entry-level DSLRs, the D50 and D70s, plus the D2Hs It also fixes other bugs relating to the the TIFF file locking issue and problems with RAW files produced by the 5D. (11:40 GMT)