PDA

View Full Version : How to shoot a giraffe?

tim11
12-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Hello,
Can anyone please give me some tips how to take a photos of a tall animal like a girafffe, or a swan? Both have long necks...
To have shallow DOF and blur out the background I knew that I should use largest aparture setting possible. BUT in doing so, if I focus on the eyes of the animal, will the other extreme end like legs or tail section become unsharp???????? :confused:
Someone please give me some tips? Thanks.

Ruggerjoe
12-06-2005, 08:31 AM
Close down the shutter a tad, it will give you a litte more depth of field.

leohans
12-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Photo stich? (just kidding)

ktixx
12-13-2005, 08:58 PM
Close down the shutter a tad, it will give you a litte more depth of field.
I think you mean the aperture..

To have shallow DOF and blur out the background I knew that I should use largest aparture setting possible. BUT in doing so, if I focus on the eyes of the animal, will the other extreme end like legs or tail section become unsharp????????
To answer the original question, if you want to blur the background but still have a good amount of DOF, you will need to stop down to f/8 or above (if your camera will go that tight) then blur the background with photoshop or another editing program
Ken

tim11
12-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Thanks for replies, I thought this post went dead. My camera has max F/8 but that will give max DOF which really has no room for blurry background. I suspected as much.

ReF
12-16-2005, 05:19 AM
Thanks for replies, I thought this post went dead. My camera has max F/8 but that will give max DOF which really has no room for blurry background. I suspected as much.

most fixed lens cameras won't give good background blur unless at considerable tele setting, which might not work out with a giraffe. even the majority of shallow DOF images shot by pros or very good amatuers will "settle" with having the just "important parts" being in focus (usually the eyes, face) in order to achieve significant background blur. it's a pretty difficult task unless your background is far off or the parts that you wish to have in focus are all at the same distance. your image is pretty good the way it is IMO. i don't feel that the backgound is distracting, and even if it were blurred, either: 1) you would still be able to tell that the blur resembles a fence, or 2) the background is so blurry that the giraffe appaears almost like a cut-out or is standing in the middle of nowhere.