PDA

View Full Version : Problem (user error) with my A95

Vette1
10-10-2004, 06:11 AM
I needed a good quality 'point and shoot' camera. We have a new baby and want the best picture quality we can get but I know nothing about camera's or taking pictures.

All of the inside pictures are totally washed out and have no color. My old Kodak 2.0 mp takes better pictures. I know it's me but I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Also, the pictures only look good when they are blown up larger than the full screen on my computer. When you try to look at them normal size it looks a little distorted or something and there are lines in the objects.

Anyone have any advice? Even though this is a point and shoot, I may have to return it for another Kodak or something easier to use.

judge9847
10-10-2004, 09:04 AM
I needed a good quality 'point and shoot' camera. We have a new baby and want the best picture quality we can get but I know nothing about camera's or taking pictures.

All of the inside pictures are totally washed out and have no color. My old Kodak 2.0 mp takes better pictures. I know it's me but I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Also, the pictures only look good when they are blown up larger than the full screen on my computer. When you try to look at them normal size it looks a little distorted or something and there are lines in the objects.

Anyone have any advice? Even though this is a point and shoot, I may have to return it for another Kodak or something easier to use.
Just in the interests of giving you a quick reply because I am not a Canon user, I wonder if somehow the camera is being operated in manual mode or either shutter or aperture priority? Try setting the dial on the top of the camera to Auto and see what happens.

If you've still got washed out pictures it might be a faulty unit.

But there are many people here who do use that camera so I'm sure one of them will be able to offer you better advice if it's needed.

Have a look at your manual or this review (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a95.html) or the one posted by Jeff on this site here (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a95-review/)
Hope that helps.

Billiam
10-10-2004, 05:44 PM
We need some more detailed info on the exposure problems, so a few questions - are outdoor photos exposed OK? Are you using the flash for indoor shots? What program and flash settings are you using? What kind of lights are in the room? How close are you to the subject in the washed out pic's? Are both the foreground (baby) and background (walls, furniture) affected? Have you adjusted the camera's white balance for indoor lighting? Can you post a sample? I'm sure that with all of the details the maven's here can help you out!

As for displaying the pictures on your monitor, full sized images from the A95 are 2592 x 1944 pixels, far greater than you monitor can display. When your viewer crams the picture down to 1024 (or 800, or whatever) lines to fit on the screen, you are likely to see some ragged edges. That's normal, not a fault of the camera. When you zoom in on them you're seeing what the camera is really doing. Your 2 mp Kodak takes 1600 x 1200 images that don't have to be squeezed down as much to fit on the screen, so they may well display with fewer artifacts. That doesn't mean that the Canon is inferior!

If you're taking full size pictures to get good resolution for making large prints but you still want good looking images for computer viewing, you may want to make copies of your photos and resize them in your photo software for viewing on screen. That should give you smoother results. Be sure not to overwrite the originals!

Billiam

Vette1
10-10-2004, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the reply! Excellent advice. I wasn't sure I would be able to explain the resolution thing but you got what I was talking about.

I have it set on auto and haven't touched anything else so I may need to play around with it a little to get things like the 'white balance' and resolution the way I want them.

I will spend some time with it and practice and if I am still having problems I will post some pictures.

Thanks!!!

judge9847
10-11-2004, 03:00 AM
Thanks for the reply! Excellent advice. I wasn't sure I would be able to explain the resolution thing but you got what I was talking about.

I have it set on auto and haven't touched anything else so I may need to play around with it a little to get things like the 'white balance' and resolution the way I want them.

I will spend some time with it and practice and if I am still having problems I will post some pictures.

Thanks!!!
That's exactly the right sort of thing to do. And if necessary, make the posts and ask again. It may still be a faulty unit and you'd need to get it sorted quickly.