PDA

View Full Version : Superzooms

Rhys
07-12-2004, 11:21 AM
I've been looking into superzoom digitals, having pretty much decided that if I get a D70 then most of my existing lenses won't be compatible and also that I want to lug as little weight around as possible.

I'm looking at cameras with over 8 times zoom. I picked that figure because 8 times should equal approximately 300mm in 35mm format and because 300mm seems quite a nice focal length. 400mm is nicer but doesn't make much extra difference, hence 35mm lenses seem to go in larger steps - 200, 300, 500, 1000, 2000 etc.

Today I went into a camera shop and held a few cameras to see how they feel. The vast majority seemed pretty much OK.

At the moment I'm considering cameras in three groups:
1. With Compact Flash and AA batteries.
2. With Secure Digital and AA batteries.
3. With Secure Digital and proprietry batteries.

Thus far I've handled the 5700/8700, S1, FMZ-10, Fuji S602 and Fuji S20

My critiscisms of the S1 remains although it has an excellent specification. I understand the Nikon 5700/8700 have somewhat of a problem with the power switch being knocked on accidentally when they're in the camera bag, meaning that the lens extends and continues to attempt extension, damaging the mechanism.

I gather the Minoltas are unreliable, according my my local camera dealer. I trust that guy - he deals straight to me and I nail him down to the lowest price :) Apparently the S1 isn't a great seller being overpriced for a 3mp camera.

It seems that I might have to go into Secure Digital since few of the CF cameras offer me 8 - 12 time zoom and AA batteries.

I'm not really sure what to go for. The FZ-10 looks very good and feels solid but it's 4 megapixels and I wonder whether I should go for 5/6?

Opinions?

Jake Conner
07-12-2004, 11:30 AM
When was the last time you printed bigger than A4? You never seem to talk about anything bigger. For that size, 4 should be plenty and the FZ10 seems like a great camera.

Jake

Rhys
07-12-2004, 12:53 PM
When was the last time you printed bigger than A4? You never seem to talk about anything bigger. For that size, 4 should be plenty and the FZ10 seems like a great camera.

Jake

I agree, having held an FZ-10 in my hands that it is indeed a very nice camera. It seems to be stoutly built and really quite desirable.

I pulled out my 35mm SLR today and put a lens on it. I tried all the maximum focal lengths and came to the conclusion that one can never have enough power in a lens.

That makes the D70 seem more appealing in many ways.

All the superzoom compacts appear to be of a similar size.