woohoo! awesome :D who needs a DS2 now? :D

jeisner
11-30-2005, 09:21 PM
more details on new features....

http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/ja/info/20050415e-1.html

Balrog
11-30-2005, 09:45 PM
Already installed and running :)
Features 1, 2 and 3 in that list are great!

coldrain
12-01-2005, 04:29 AM
woohoo! awesome :D who needs a DS2 now? :D
People that want the speed of the *istD and *istDL :P

MatH
12-01-2005, 01:49 PM
As if DL or DS2 are any faster.

I installed the firmware as well w/o any problems. Can't wait to test it.

jeisner
12-01-2005, 03:31 PM

What are you talking about... do you own or have you used any (or all) of these three cameras before??? or are you just trolling???

jeisner
12-01-2005, 04:24 PM
What are you talking about... do you own or have you used any (or all) of these three cameras before??? or are you just trolling???

P.S.

The DS already has a faster buffer than the D and since the v2.0 upgrade the AF performance (esp in low light) seems to have improved?? I noticed it myself and I have also seen a number of independant reports of faster AF performance... (maybe a bug they fixed they didn't want to admit?)

BTW... The DL was only faster due to less focus points, if you set the camera to 'center point only' (spot) the DL and DS/DS2 were the same in regards to focus speed, although the more expensive D was a little faster still...

WightWalker
12-03-2005, 03:55 AM
Just thought I'd mention that with Continuous Focus, the Exposure Lock will not stay locked on the 1st focus point - every time the focus re-locks, it will assume a potentially different exposure.

This may be important when composing back lit subjects & scenes which include a lot of sky detail.

Balrog
12-03-2005, 07:52 AM
That's true for when you have the "AE-L with Focus Lock" custom function set - I think the dedicated AE-L button still locks it just fine.

Another thing I've done is I set the Ok button to "AF Cancel"; what that does is lets me stay in AF-C all the time, and if I ever want to "focus-recompose-shoot" AF-S style, I just let the continuous autofocus lock where I want it to, then hold down the OK button, recompose (AF is no longer active, so focus stays where I put it), and then shoot.

WightWalker
12-03-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm a tad confused as to how this works - on the M_inolta A200 that I used previously, it 'increased' the ISO speed when lighting conditions deteriorated.
M_inolta deliberatly spelt this way to prevent advertising link being added.

I've set the ISO setting to AUTO & ISO Correction in AUTO to 200 to 3200 but nothing appears to happen in mode that I use - previously I believe that it was only effective in 'Sports' Mode.

Any one any ideas.

Balrog
12-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Yeah, this is an annoying one - turns out Auto ISO only works if your EV Compensation is at 0. If you dial in any EV (like the default +0.5 that I like to have), ISO stays at 200.

WightWalker
12-03-2005, 11:20 AM
I'd forgotten that even with the ISO WARNING set to say 400, there is NO warning when the ISO is increased automatically above that setting - the ISO WARNING ONLY works when adjusted manually.

Shame that P_entax didn't link ISO WARNING to function with AUTO ISO.
P_entax deliberatly spelt this way to prevent advertising link being added.

I've run a few shots in low lighting & the ISO was automatically increased to 3200 - within the set range.

On the previous fimware, AUTO only worked in Sports Mode.

Thanks for the tip on exposure compenation.

Balrog
12-04-2005, 04:31 AM
Yeah, indeed, there are still a few things that could stand to be improved, imo:

Take flash mode out of the Fn menu and replace it with something useful - metering mode, for example. Or AF point selection mode. Or Flash Exposure Compensation, even... I don't get why it's there anyway, I don't think anybody changes it beyond the initial selection - and if you're that into flash, you'll have an external unit anyway.
Link ISO warning to Auto ISO
Make auto ISO work with EV compensation (could make this optional via a custom function)
Add a user-selectable minimum shutter speed for Auto ISO to target.

MatH
12-05-2005, 01:27 AM
Take the flash out of Fn menu and put in metering mode!!:mad:

dallas75287
12-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Any noticeable improvement for picture quality (sharpness-wise for jpeg) after the firmware upgrade? What is item #4 - The effect of Digital soft filters can be selected from weak, middle or strong?

Balrog
12-06-2005, 05:27 PM
There's nothing wrong with the JPEG sharpness anyway, if you set it higher in-camera.
The "Digital Soft Filters" thing just adds a variable-strength 'soft-focus' effect to the image ... something better left to PP anyway, imo.

WightWalker
12-07-2005, 12:20 PM
I bet no one ever comments on JPEG sharpness (or lack of it), for example, on the Canon_Rebel XT.

Just because DP Review went 'over the top' in critiscising the Pentax, the mud has stuck & there's this mistaken belief that the Pentax JPEG quality is inferior.

DP Review has NEVER published the same tests that they did for the Pentax with any other dSRL, to the best of my knowledge - why I wonder.

I downloaded comparative images (watch face) from DP Review for the Rebel XT & Pentax and if anything, the Pentax was sharper BUT the reviewer stated the opposite.

All dSRL's don't process images as much in the camera as 'point & shoot' cameras which means that they require some post processing to get the best results whilst leaving the unprocessed image alone.

WightWalker
12-07-2005, 12:31 PM
I've found this feature quite useful whilst out yesterday shooting under dull conditions.

I tend to use Tv mode set to 1/180 which is fast enough to prevent camera shake on the 'kit lens'.

However, as mentioned earlier, there's no indication as to when this 'kicks in' or what criteria is set by the camera.

Using Tv mode as the example, I believe that the aperature will be continually opened up until it reaches the 'end stop'. At this point the ISO value will be increased up to what ever value has been set; obviously once an ISO value of 3200 has been reached, then the aperature figure will flash to warn of an exposure problem.

WightWalker
12-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Any noticeable improvement for picture quality (sharpness-wise for jpeg) after the firmware upgrade? What is item #4 - The effect of Digital soft filters can be selected from weak, middle or strong?

I've noticed advertising links being added to posts which is nothing to do with the originator. i.e. picture quality adds the following:
SPONSORED LINK
Which? Report on Picture Quality
Which? Online gives unbiased advice and information on a vast range of products and services. Register today to read thousands of reviews and reports, helping you make informed decisions.
trial.which.co.uk

Could the Modorator please investigate & advise