PDA

View Full Version : Need help with flash photography

NYCPhotogal
11-29-2005, 06:56 AM
Hi everyone :) , I am new to this site and any help would be greatly appreciated. I take alot of indoor photos in dark rooms (candles or low lighting). Many times the ceilings are high as well as in a church or restuarant. I have a Canon 420EX flash which I use. I don't like to angle it straight on because it obviously produces the harsh pictures. I have been angling it up to the ceiling to bounce it, and my pictures look great on the my camera screen (canon 20D) but when I look on the computer they are all too dark and I end up manually lightening them. I bought a flash diffuser recently to see if that would help to straight on flash shots but I am not sure what is the proper way to go about these flash shots. Someone also told me that a 420EX flash won't cut it and I am going to have to upgrade but I don't have the money for a new flash now. Oh, and I also have to capture alot of movement in these shots too, so I don't want it to come out blurry.
PLEASE HELP ME! :confused: Thank you

ktixx
11-29-2005, 07:16 AM
Simple suggestion - Try turning the brightness of your LCD screen down. Your brightness is probably maxed out and because of that you are probably underexposing your shots. Also, learn how to use your histogram so you can easily tell exposure from a diagram, rather than relying on the actual image you see on the screen.
Ken

woffles
12-08-2005, 06:54 PM
Like the previous poster said, start using the histogram. It will tell you a lot more about your pictures. A Lumiquest pocket bouncer or something similar will help when you have high ceilings that you can't bounce against. Will still soften the light some and give you enough light to properly expose your subject. Also try turning up the power to the flash in your settings if needed.

jamison55
12-08-2005, 07:31 PM
I routinely shoot with my FEC to +2/3 - +1 because Canon's flash metering tends to err on the side of underexposure. An omnibounce will help with the high ceilinged room. Also bump up the ISO to make your flash work less.

The 420ex should be plenty powerful enough for most applications.