PDA

View Full Version : Which dSLR Help!!!!

Singh
10-09-2004, 07:40 AM
Hi! After using digital Point n Shoot for some time, I am now planning to upgrade to dSLR. I have almost US$ 1700/- to spend on the camera, lens, memory cards (256MB x2) and case. So I am thinking of the following dSLRs. Which one of these will you recommend considering that, I do not have any lenses and will mainly be shooting in RAW?

1. Canon EOS 300D with EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM.
2. Nikon D70 with the kit lens (18-70mm f3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor).
3. Yet to be launch Pentax *ist DS with some Pentax or Sigma Lens.

Also how do you rate the following companies according to their Lenses :confused: :
1. Canon.
2. Nikon.
3. Pentax.
4. Sigma.
5. Tamron

Also are the RAW formats of EOS 300D and Nikon D70 supported by Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0.

Thanks for your Response!!! :)

Ant
10-09-2004, 08:33 AM
Simple. Just go out and buy a Nikon D70 :)

There's nothing else you need to know. :p

Singh
10-10-2004, 04:44 AM
:rolleyes: Thanks!

Which of the following Lens will you recommend to buy with the D70:
1) “18-70mm f3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor”
OR
“Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC”

2) “70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED AF Zoom-Nikkor”
OR
“Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Zoom Macro Super II”
Or some other Lens.

D70FAN
10-10-2004, 08:44 AM
:rolleyes: Thanks!

Which of the following Lens will you recommend to buy with the D70:
1) “18-70mm f3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor”
OR
“Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC”

2) “70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED AF Zoom-Nikkor”
OR
“Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Zoom Macro Super II”
Or some other Lens.

The D70 is the best choice in you budget catagory. I have both the Nikkor 18-70 DX and the Sigma 18-125 DC. Neither lens is a professional grade lens, but either will give excellent results as long as you realize that there are certain operating points where they are just ok.

I really like the Sigma 18-125 DC and it has become my everyday lens. I am tempted by the Nikkor 24-120 VR lens, but don't know if I can live with the 24mm wide-angle vs. 18mm. At $500 it's not a cheap lens, but not real expensive either. Since I haven't used it yet I can't comment on picture quality. Maybe I'll just wait to see what Nikon comes up with as the next utility lens.

For consumer grade big zooms (i.e. 70-300 etc) it's a toss-up. I have the Nikkor 70-300 G and it works fine. If I had an extra $1000 I might go for the Sigma 50-500mm EX APO, but it is a "lug". In either case a good tripod or monopod will come in handy.

The final lens for your basic kit should be a fixed focus Nikkor 50mm f1.8 or 1.4. These lenses are tack-sharp and are great for portraits and panoramas. As long as you can walk up to your subject instead of zooming this is the lens. Oh and it is fairly cheap at $60 (used) to $150 (new) for the f1.8.

This basic lens set will serve you well no matter which camera you buy

jay
10-10-2004, 02:27 PM
I'm more of a canon guy myself. IMHO Nikon gives a green/blue hue cast which means more post production, where as canon gives more of a red/yellow cast which in my line of work is perfect for skin tones.

I'd suggest going to the store and handling both cameras. Get a feel for how they both feel in your hands and in shooting mode.

Canon glass is less expensive then Nikon. However if you go with Nikon, not only do you get a sony picture ;) but the glass will work on almost all other cameras out there, I know for a fact Fuji. I thought I heard Kodak as well?

Ant
10-10-2004, 02:42 PM
IMHO Nikon gives a green/blue hue cast which means more post production

I shoot Nikon and I haven't a clue what you're talking about. Can't see any green/blue cast on my pics. Furthermore in all of the comparisons I've read about canon v Nikon, and I've read a lot, I've never heard that at all.

D70FAN
10-10-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm more of a canon guy myself. IMHO Nikon gives a green/blue hue cast which means more post production, where as canon gives more of a red/yellow cast which in my line of work is perfect for skin tones.

I'd suggest going to the store and handling both cameras. Get a feel for how they both feel in your hands and in shooting mode.

Canon glass is less expensive then Nikon. However if you go with Nikon, not only do you get a sony picture ;) but the glass will work on almost all other cameras out there, I know for a fact Fuji. I thought I heard Kodak as well?

The first part of what you say is dependant on camera settings. While the CMOS sensor on the D70 is made by Sony's Semiconductor division, the design was a joint venture, and will not likely show up in a Sony camera anytime soon.

Nikon glass fits Kodak and Fuji dSLRs mainly because they use a Nikon body and supply their own electronics, rather than reinvent the already perfected Nikon mechanicals, but there is a Kodak dSLR that has a Canon mount, as well, in the DCS Pro SLR/c).

You get what you pay for from both guys, and now with Sigma and Tamron playing the quality game, with their newer lenses (quite good), the gap is closing. When you get into the professional grade lenses the price difference disappears, and you can flip a coin on quality.

jay
10-10-2004, 05:03 PM
I shoot Nikon and I haven't a clue what you're talking about. Can't see any green/blue cast on my pics. Furthermore in all of the comparisons I've read about canon v Nikon, and I've read a lot, I've never heard that at all.

Again,

My preface was In MY honest opinon do you shoot a lot of portraits? I do and I don't like the Nikon hues. That's not wrong or right, its my opinon. I shoot a ton of portraits and found with my old nikon, I was doing a lot of shifting to get the colors I wanted.

jay
10-10-2004, 05:06 PM
You get what you pay for from both guys, and now with Sigma and Tamron playing the quality game, with their newer lenses (quite good), the gap is closing. When you get into the professional grade lenses the price difference disappears, and you can flip a coin on quality.

I concur there!

I have a sigma xd prime glass and it works beautiful. I'm going to get an "L" lens but haven't really seen anything too different to warrant the extra 800.00 difference.

Last I checked, the nikon nikor glass was a few hundred dollars more expensive then the canon l glass. However, I didn't do much research so I do believe the prices are quite comprable.

Singh
10-10-2004, 09:42 PM
I am tempted by the Nikkor 24-120 VR lens, but don't know if I can live with the 24mm wide-angle vs. 18mm. At $500 it's not a cheap lens, but not real expensive either. Since I haven't used it yet I can't comment on picture quality. Maybe I'll just wait to see what Nikon comes up with as the next utility lens.

If I had an extra $1000 I might go for the Sigma 50-500mm EX APO, but it is a "lug". In either case a good tripod or monopod will come in handy.

I think Nikon must be working on a DX version of the Nikkor 24-120 VR lens i.e. Nikkor 16-80mm VR DX, since Canon has already introduced the Canon EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM the EF-S version of the popular EF 28-136mm IS lens. If Nikon introduces the Nikkor 16-80mm VR DX lens then that is the lens I am going to buy. Till then I think I will settle for “Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC” and second hand “Nikkor 50mm 1.4” and “70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED AF Zoom-Nikkor”

I like the Sigma 50-500mm EX APO HSM lens but sadly it is way out of my budget :mad: . Though If I can find a second hand for around $500/- ;) then I won’t think twice.

Singh
10-10-2004, 09:46 PM
I'm more of a canon guy myself.

Canon glass is less expensive then Nikon.

I am a Canon guy my self but I am going for the D70 mainly because Canon replaces its models very quickly. Both Nikon and Canon introduced D60 and D100 almost at the same time the D60 was replaced by 10D which has now been replaced by 20D where as D100 is still out there (D70 is not the replacement for D100 similarly as the 300D is not the replacement for 10D). I can’t tolerate the Camera I buy getting replaced by a cheaper and better camera in less than a month or so. The second reason is that D70’s build quality is better than EOS 300D’s and it is available in Black colour. Also the RAW file size of D70 is smaller than 300D’s RAW. Though I must admit the picture quality is slightly better on the 300D

I agree Nikon glass is costlier than Canon’s, especially the stabilised one (IS and VR).

If Canon announces the replacement of 300D in a month then I might go for it.

Regarding going to a store and feel how both feel I can’t do that as there is no store in or near Amritsar which has these dSLRs available on display. There is an Olympus’s authorised dealer here but Olympus Zuiko glass is very very expensive. Secondly except for Olympus all other manufactures’ Camera’s prices in India are almost double then their prices in USA. The EOS 300D when launched was available for almost equivalent to US$ 2000/-. I bought the Canon A75 from Singapore Duty Free with a 256MB Sandisk card, a battery charger and still saved around the equivalent of US$ 100/- over the price of just the camera in India. I am relying on my cosine in USA to do the shopping for me and bring the stuff with him when he comes to India in December.

Ant
10-11-2004, 07:01 AM
Again,

My preface was In MY honest opinon do you shoot a lot of portraits? I do and I don't like the Nikon hues. That's not wrong or right, its my opinon. I shoot a ton of portraits and found with my old nikon, I was doing a lot of shifting to get the colors I wanted.

Well that's fair enough if it's just a preference thing. I don't shoot a lot of portraits....none in fact ;) but I did do a lot of shooting at my cousin's wedding a couple of months ago and I didn't see anything wrong with skin tones. They all looked fine to me with no post editing at all.

But I suppose if portrait work is what the camera is used a lot for then it would be something to take into account.

jay
10-11-2004, 04:20 PM
I am a Canon guy my self but I am going for the D70 mainly because Canon replaces its models very quickly. Both Nikon and Canon introduced D60 and D100 almost at the same time the D60 was replaced by 10D which has now been replaced by 20D where as D100 is still out there (D70 is not the replacement for D100 similarly as the 300D is not the replacement for 10D). I can’t tolerate the Camera I buy getting replaced by a cheaper and better camera in less than a month or so. The second reason is that D70’s build quality is better than EOS 300D’s and it is available in Black colour. Also the RAW file size of D70 is smaller than 300D’s RAW. Though I must admit the picture quality is slightly better on the 300D

This is interesting.

I've never looked at many of the canon cameras as replacements, instead looked at them as additions.

The problem with canon imho is they put out something that's awesome, then a half year later, they bascially give away the old stuff (with minor limitations) along with some new cutting edge stuff, at a cheaper price.

wow talk about fragment, run ons and other butchery of the english language lol.

I see canon as an innovator. If you watch the market, canon comes out with something, then everyone else copies. They have to put new stuff out to stay on top of things.

ANT, I've NEVER seen a photo that didn't need to be retouched before publishing. Let me rephrase for the litteral people around here ;) I've never seen a photo, from digital to large format, that didn't need some sort of post process work done to acheive sastisfactory results on a commercial level. When i take even candid pics of my kids, I still want them to be as accurate as possible before going to print. If you still have some of the pics from the wedding, and want to send me a sample one, I can "clean" it up and show you the difference.

Ant
10-12-2004, 02:09 AM
ANT, I've NEVER seen a photo that didn't need to be retouched before publishing. Let me rephrase for the litteral people around here ;) I've never seen a photo, from digital to large format, that didn't need some sort of post process work done to acheive sastisfactory results on a commercial level. When i take even candid pics of my kids, I still want them to be as accurate as possible before going to print. If you still have some of the pics from the wedding, and want to send me a sample one, I can "clean" it up and show you the difference.

Thanks Jay, I'd quite like to see a photo properly retouched.

I don't do any photography commercially, just for myself and a couple of web sites. I must admit that post editing is something I really need to get to grips with. I tend to fiddle about with the camera settings to try and get it as good as I can out of the camera, but I'm sure I could do better with good post editing.

I'll e-mail you a sample pic after I get back from work.

Singh
10-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Hey guys! I just saw :eek: the “Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM”. I can get this one new for under US$ 600/- with the hood. So I am back to the camera from which I started my search.

Now I am planning to buy the EOS 300D with the kit lens plus this assume “L” lens and Transcend 45x 512MB and 256MB. Every thing totalling to around US$ 1600/-. Just in my budget and I will have an L lens too.

Hello Canonhttp://www.dcresource.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif! Bye Nikonhttp://www.dcresource.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif!

Ant
10-13-2004, 12:36 AM
Hey guys! I just saw :eek: the “Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM”. I can get this one new for under US$ 600/- with the hood. So I am back to the camera from which I started my search.

Now I am planning to buy the EOS 300D with the kit lens plus this assume “L” lens and Transcend 45x 512MB and 256MB. Every thing totalling to around US$ 1600/-. Just in my budget and I will have an L lens too.

Hello Canonhttp://www.dcresource.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif! Bye Nikonhttp://www.dcresource.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif!

I'm sure you'll love it.

There has just been a black EOS300D released over here in the UK and I have to say it looks a lot better than the old silver one. You might want to take a look for that version if that sort of thing interests you.

jamison55
10-13-2004, 03:07 AM

That's a great choice. That investment in glass will last you a lifetime, while the bodies come and go...

Singh
10-13-2004, 05:01 AM
I'm sure you'll love it.

There has just been a black EOS300D released over here in the UK and I have to say it looks a lot better than the old silver one. You might want to take a look for that version if that sort of thing interests you.

That’s Great news :D ! I thought that it was available in Japan only. Can you send me a link to a site selling the Black EOS 300D? I have seen a picture of the black version of Kiss Digital on dpreview.com and it looked a lot better than the silver. If it is available in UK then in a few time it will be available in the rest of the world too.

Ant
10-13-2004, 05:24 AM
Here's the link. As it says though. Thisd appears to be UK only at the moment.

http://www.jessops.com/search/viewproduct.cfm?Product=CAN@EOS300DB1855&CFID=2913389&CFTOKEN=5e269e1-d537b3c0-8764-44d6-b7b3-ae046c335d7c

maflynn
10-13-2004, 05:33 AM
I'm not an experienced photographer by any stretch of the word, but I found the Nikon D70 to be an excellent camera.

For my needs I thought the Canon was a little over-kill, hard to find and speaking of over-kill my wife would have killed me if I bought the higher priced Canon :eek:

It seems all in all, the Nikon and Canon are very close and excellent cameras. The canon being newer has some advantages for some. For me the Nikon seemed to be the best choice. I think you'll enjoy either camera.

Good Luck
Mike

D70FAN
10-13-2004, 06:15 AM
I'm not an experienced photographer by any stretch of the word, but I found the Nikon D70 to be an excellent camera.

For my needs I thought the Canon was a little over-kill, hard to find and speaking of over-kill my wife would have killed me if I bought the higher priced Canon :eek:

It seems all in all, the Nikon and Canon are very close and excellent cameras. The canon being newer has some advantages for some. For me the Nikon seemed to be the best choice. I think you'll enjoy either camera.

Good Luck
Mike

I think you are talking about the Canon 20D. The current topic is the 300D which is considerably cheaper than the D70. The D70 is still a step up on the 300D.

Singh
10-13-2004, 09:13 PM
Here's the link. As it says though. Thisd appears to be UK only at the moment.

http://www.jessops.com/search/viewproduct.cfm?Product=CAN@EOS300DB1855&CFID=2913389&CFTOKEN=5e269e1-d537b3c0-8764-44d6-b7b3-ae046c335d7c

Thanks for the Link!

The EOS 300D Black Edition is also available in Germany, Switzerland, Canada and Singapore. Currently it is sold with the USM version of the 18 - 55 mm lens.

According to DCVIEWS “Canon Germany has announced the black version of the EOS 300D digital SLR camera. The black version was already available for the Asian market since the beginning of this year. It's to be expected that this edition will be announced for the USA and for the rest of Europe soon...

The new EOS 300D Black edition comes in an exclusive package which includes the EF-S 18-55mm lens and the BG-E1 battery handle. The kit is available for 1.199 euro, starting from September.”