PDA

View Full Version : Researching Pentax *ist DS

dallas75287
11-27-2005, 08:55 PM
I read from Cnet.com, "The lack of an autofocus-assist lamp makes the Pentax stumble under more challenging low-contrast lighting conditions...". Anyone notice any difference in autofocus without the assist lamp? I'm a little concern since all my P&S cameras have autofocus-assist lamp and I have never used manual focus.

Hope you all can put up with me. I'm researching my first SLR camera.

Thanks.

Rex914
11-27-2005, 09:07 PM
That's a partial lie because the DS uses its flash for autofocusing in the said conditions, and while it's annoying and not discreet, it works.

MatH
11-28-2005, 05:07 AM
If memory serves me right, Canon Digita Rebel/EOS 350D lacks AF lamp as well and uses the same method as Pentax *Ist DS.

dallas75287
11-28-2005, 09:04 AM
Another reason to love this forum. People are so helpful. Thanks.

How important is dept-of-field preview? I believe the Pentax *ist DS has it, but the Nikon D50 doesn't. Right now my first SLR camera would be something along the line of *ist DS or D50. The Rebel XT is too expensive right now. Any other SLR I should consider? Any spec/review on *ist DS2? What are the differences between *ist DS and *ist DS2? Once again thanks all for the responses.

coldrain
11-28-2005, 09:12 AM
The *istDL got a bigger LCD and continous autofocus in all programs, so they had to update the *istDS so it would not be less than its cheaper brother.
I think that is basically the *istDS2.

The Canon Rebel XT is not so much more expensive than the *istDS and D50, and considering the lenses will be more important than the camera body (you basically buy yourself into a lens system) do not only take the cost of the body intoconsideration but look if the lens systems will have what you probably will like in future.

Depth of field "preview" can be handy in some situations, but it is not a deal braker in my opinion.

MatH
11-29-2005, 07:03 AM
I don't use DOF preview that much, but now that I got used to it I'd miss it if it wasn't there.
Amongst other alternatives there is ConicaMinolta Maxxum 5D with same sensor as Nikon or Pentax plus in camera image stabilisation (very handy). Review on www.e-fotografija.com (http://www.e-fotografija.com/artman/publish/article_824.shtml)

coldrain
11-29-2005, 09:10 AM
I don't use DOF preview that much, but now that I got used to it I'd miss it if it wasn't there.
Amongst other alternatives there is ConicaMinolta Maxxum 5D with same sensor as Nikon or Pentax plus in camera image stabilisation (very handy). Review on www.e-fotografija.com (http://www.e-fotografija.com/artman/publish/article_824.shtml)
Same sensor, different results.

jeisner
11-30-2005, 06:30 PM
DOF preview can be usefull for macro but also for shooting towards the sun and previewing how much flare will be present once the apeture stops down... I use it for that as often as for macro...

Important for some not for others...

P.S. as for the DS not having "continuous autofocus in all programs", an updated firmware (2.0) will be available this month for the DS to add this feature, AT LAST...

Ishkabibble
11-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Continuous autofocus in all modes... wow! I've been waiting for that one! There's one of the reasons I love Pentax: they continue to serve their customers with firmware updates.