PDA

View Full Version : A620 vs. SD500 vs. other?

McGee
11-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Looking for a camera in the $330 range - going to use www.beachcamera.com (or do you guys know of a better website for cameras?) - both of these cameras were about $330 a few weeks ago, but the A620 just went up to around $350. I'm looking for a good point and shoot camera, one where I can take pictures of my friends with, and maybe one where I can get a little more in to photography with - exposures, nature shots, etc. The SD30 looks really awesome but I heard if the lighting is bad it takes bad pictures because of the poor flash.

Any recommendations apart from these two cameras? Which is the better of these two for my likes? Should I just go for a cheaper camera?

Rex914
11-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Try looking at a Canon A610 instead. Nearly identical to the A620 except that it has 2 less megapixels which really doesn't matter unless you make huge prints.

McGee
11-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Try looking at a Canon A610 instead. Nearly identical to the A620 except that it has 2 less megapixels which really doesn't matter unless you make huge prints.
Doesn't more megapixels usually mean better image quality? I have always assumed that typically, if a camera costs a lot more than a camera below it (on a lower tier) and it had more megapixels, the quality would be better.

tim11
11-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Doesn't more megapixels usually mean better image quality? I have always assumed that typically, if a camera costs a lot more than a camera below it (on a lower tier) and it had more megapixels, the quality would be better.
That's the general misconception and the manufacturers seem happy with it - they fatten more and more MP into the cameras to sell at higher price.
MP is simply the size of the picture (quantity) and not quality. Quality comes with good lens and image sensor. It's nice to have 6MP+ camera but I recommend shooting generally at 5MP and spare 6MP+ only for special portraits. Otherwise, you will need to spend more on memory cards.
I attach a link on resolution for your benefit.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1646274,00.asp

McGee
11-28-2005, 05:20 PM
That's the general misconception and the manufacturers seem happy with it - they fatten more and more MP into the cameras to sell at higher price.
MP is simply the size of the picture (quantity) and not quality. Quality comes with good lens and image sensor. It's nice to have 6MP+ camera but I recommend shooting generally at 5MP and spare 6MP+ only for special portraits. Otherwise, you will need to spend more on memory cards.
Thanks for the reply. I mean though, since the image is larger, would more detail not be packed in to it? Didn't read article - going to now. Probably should have read it first but oh well :p

McGee
11-28-2005, 05:40 PM
What do you guys think about the S60 or the SD450 instead of the A620 / SD500?

mstripat
11-28-2005, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the link, and I see that resolution is not an indicator of the image quality. However, if I have to make a choice between SD500 and SD450, is resolution the only difference?

And if so, then I have to make a choice between A610 and SD450, and between these two models, I am not sure which one would suit me better. I am more of McGee's type, as in I am beginning to take interest in nature photography etc.

Thanks!
Mstripat

coldrain
11-29-2005, 12:34 AM
No, the lensof the SD500 is a little bit bigger, (the camera is also a bit bigger) making the photos slightly better (less CA and soft corners).

The A610 has the best lens of these. The SD450 is designed to be as small as possible, the SD500 was allowed to grow a bit to accomodate that 7mp sensor and that lens, and the A6X0 was less about style and ultra compact and more about most camera for the money (very good quality lens, manual controls, swivelable display, AA size batteries).

tim11
11-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the reply. I mean though, since the image is larger, would more detail not be packed in to it? Didn't read article - going to now. Probably should have read it first but oh well :p
The more details will make up for the larger size of the canvas, NOT extra pixel per inch which really will refine the picture. You will not notice a 10x12" print made from 5MP to one made from 7MP, anyway. If you are making life size posters, it's a different story.

What do you guys think about the S60 or the SD450 instead of the A620 / SD500?
S60 is capable but older camera. And personally, I don't think I can fall in love with A60's look. Any reason why you don't consider A610 (5MP)? It's almost identical to A620.
Regarding A6#0 and SD##0, they are not quite in the same league. SD cams are life style and pocketable cameras. Ideal for snapshooters and the cameras will choose all settings for you. All you do is pressing the shutter.
On the other hand, A6#0 cams are larger - but still fit into purse and jacket. You can select preset modes for snapshooting and still have all the manual controls when you want to over-ride the camera's settings. If you want to explore photography further on of A6#0s should be the chosen one.
The size of MP is up to you.

jmmhc4
11-29-2005, 03:22 PM
If your using auto or scene modes most of the time, how much better would the A6#0 be than the SD###. I guess since the sensor is a bit bigger, the A slightly better, but only slightly? Also, is red eye much better or either?

McGee
11-29-2005, 07:45 PM
S60 is capable but older camera. And personally, I don't think I can fall in love with A60's look. Any reason why you don't consider A610 (5MP)? It's almost identical to A620.
Regarding A6#0 and SD##0, they are not quite in the same league. SD cams are life style and pocketable cameras. Ideal for snapshooters and the cameras will choose all settings for you. All you do is pressing the shutter.
On the other hand, A6#0 cams are larger - but still fit into purse and jacket. You can select preset modes for snapshooting and still have all the manual controls when you want to over-ride the camera's settings. If you want to explore photography further on of A6#0s should be the chosen one.
The size of MP is up to you.
I like the look of the S60. I'm looking for a camera I can fit in my jeans pocket and have it not be too huge, one that I will usually take pictures of my friends with, etc. but still able to take pictures of nature, on vacation, black and white, etc.

coldrain
11-29-2005, 10:50 PM
I like the look of the S60. I'm looking for a camera I can fit in my jeans pocket and have it not be too huge, one that I will usually take pictures of my friends with, etc. but still able to take pictures of nature, on vacation, black and white, etc.
Canon S60 in jeans pocket? That will sure scare the ladies away!
It is ok in jacket pockets, but only ok in jeans pockets if you wear skater jeans where the crotch is hanging between your knees and you have to use rope to keep it up.