PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic FZ10, Canon S60, Casio P60 & QV-R51

Kstylz
07-12-2004, 09:32 AM
I am looking at the Panasonic FZ10, Canon S60, Casio QV-R51, and the Casio P600. I really like the Casio menus, although not sure of what camera to go for "the best picture." I want something that can take great photos on an "Auto" mode preset, as well as having maual controls and programs to "grow with."

I liked the idea of the RAW, not set on it, though. I am pretty much a novice photographer. I will be taking plenty of baby pics indoors ( 2 months 2 go!) as well as for everyday use.

Please post any highlights and shortcomings of these cameras u have experienced. thx.

John_Reed
07-12-2004, 09:52 AM
I am looking at the Panasonic FZ10, Canon S60, Casio QV-R51, and the Casio P600. I really like the Casio menus, although not sure of what camera to go for "the best picture." I want something that can take great photos on an "Auto" mode preset, as well as having maual controls and programs to "grow with."

I liked the idea of the RAW, not set on it, though. I am pretty much a novice photographer. I will be taking plenty of baby pics indoors ( 2 months 2 go!) as well as for everyday use.

Please post any highlights and shortcomings of these cameras u have experienced. thx.
Wow! Your choices run the gamut, for cameras of different sizes and specialties. I can tell you about the FZ10, which does have a "P" mode where the camera pretty much takes care of all the thinking, though one can still choose to adjust exposure (it's very easy to do) to get colors and contrast to be right. It also has a much larger zoom range than at least some of your other choices, (12X) and is bigger than they are. But it's a great camera, and small enough to carry along with you wherever you go. I took mine on a run with me yesterday, carrying the camera in a tummy pack. I'm sure it would do fine on baby pics, I've taken some myself, most often in "available light," which I prefer.

Kstylz
07-12-2004, 11:28 AM
thx...seems this FZ10 keeps popping up. What range of distance (feet) can u expect with a 12x zoom? 3x and 4x for that matter. thx again.

John_Reed
07-12-2004, 07:40 PM
thx...seems this FZ10 keeps popping up. What range of distance (feet) can u expect with a 12x zoom? 3x and 4x for that matter. thx again.
Distance is tough to calibrate, but I've seen photos of deer shot at 100 yds away; if you want a well-composed photo, filling the frame with a little bird, the distance might be 10 to 20 feet, for the FZ10. 4X, you can take those numbers, divide by 3. It's a little tough to calibrate what "X" means, as it's a multiplier for the base focal length. For example the Canon S1 has a minimum focal length of 38mm, and 10X zoom, for a maximum of 380mm. The Panasonic FZ10 has a min focal length of 35mm, and 12X zoom, for a max of 420mm equivalent.