PDA

View Full Version : Powershot A75 -Pl. participate in this survey and help viewers...

hari
07-12-2004, 05:25 AM
Dear Viewers,

I have started this new thread exclusively to help viewers/prospective buyers know the problems/issues with CANON POWERSHOT A-75.

If you own A-75 please spare few seconds to post your reply. Please note that many reviewers only mention good things about this digicam but not problems... This is to let the viewers know what problems they might face if they buy one...

If you have no problems with your A-75, please mention the same.

Please spare your valuable time and post reply. I hope to see the number of viewers equals the replies.

briancd
08-30-2004, 10:14 PM
I've had mine for about six weeks and love it. it provides all the features you could want and with the different preset modes available it makes it easy even for a novice like myself.

For those planning to buy one be aware that you will probably need a larger memory card than the one supplied to avail of the best resolution that the camera offers. Luckily the cards for the Canon are the cheapest you can get.

Also buy yourself two sets of NIMH batteries and a NIMH battery charger. There is little warning that your batteries are running low. Keep a spare set in the camera carry case.

I am contemplating buying the Canon telephoto converter lens and adapter. Does anyone have any experience with this?

waianaehawaii
08-31-2004, 12:47 PM
I bought my A75 camera back in April of this year. I bought it cause I read good reviews on it. This is my first digitial camera and I really enjoyed it. I went out and bought a 512mb compact flash card so I could strore plenty pictures. July, I went on vacation with the family and started to take plenty pictures, and began to have problems with the camera. I would try to take a picture in auto focus, press the shutter button half way down to focus and the camera wouldn't focus. I then shut off the camera and turn it back on and the problem seemed to go away, it made me to begin to wonder :confused: . This happened maybe three times during the vacation, the rest of the time I took wonderful pictures. Came home and didn't use the camera for a couple of weeks, then my daughter went to use it and the same problem occured again. This time the problem with the focus is all the time, every picture is blurry, I can't get the camera to focus clearly trying everything I do. I ended up emailing Canon Factory Service Center, and explained it to them and they say I got to send it to them to get it fixed, really disappointing :mad: Another thing I recently noticed is a mechanical noise (grinding) when it trys to focus, I didn't hear the noise before the problem I now am having. I'm wondering if this is a manufacture defect?, cause I've read on the message boards of people having problems with focusing and strange noises :confused: . Hopefully this might help other buyers decide which camera to buy because I'm disappointed with my purchase at this time :eek: .

Petto
09-19-2004, 09:58 AM
I too have a A75 Powershot and am having poor image quality problems. The images are not sharp. I use a tripod and auto timer so movement of camera is not the issue. Currently Canon Factory repair has my unit for the 3rd time now. Tech support has been very good- but I am very disappointed in quality of this camera.

TonyMathew9
09-21-2004, 04:36 AM
HI ,

I recently bought a canon a75 powershot . the picture output is really good. but of late I am getting a problem. Whenever i insert the Compact Flash card
( I am using a Sandsik 32MB , CF card ). The following error message pops up on the LCD screen "Memory card error" and I am not able to take any photos nor do a playback from the card.Can anybody suggest me what exactly is the problem. I have also used another 62MB Sandisk , Cf card , but i get the same error emssage.
Can anybody help ?

Thanks in advance .

Regards,
Tony

danace
11-06-2004, 12:51 AM
Mine won't start up! I tried connecting to the AC addapter also. It just doesn't won't to start up!I bought camera in the US and now I am in the Europe and the warranty is not worth it! I don't know what to do... does anyone has a scheme for the power circutairy?

frankshackleton
11-08-2004, 10:57 AM
i have had a Powershot A75 for a couple of months. I am very disappointed. A high proportion of shots which appear to be correctly exposed in the LCD are under-exposed when downloaded. This is a CAMERA problem not a PC/software problem. :mad:

Canon UK say they have reproduced this problem but are now ignoring me! :mad:

I am very unhappy with this camera and with CANON UK. :mad:

Has anyone out there experienced the same problem?

How can I get CANON UK to solve it?

saarthur
12-28-2004, 11:08 AM
I bought my Canon A75 last June and have been very happy with it until now.
It's taking forever to start up and then gets a "memory card error" message with both the 32MB and 128MB CF cards. The Format menu item does not work. I have contacted Canon via email and will post how that turns out.

s5pitfire
12-28-2004, 03:24 PM
I've had my powershot A75 for 4 days now, and it works great.

The first one I had, had a slightly tilted screen. So i took it back and exchanged it for another A75 at wal-mart (no restocking fee or anything, thank god). The one i have now works great.
The supplied 32mb flash card is big enough for me. On 1600x1200 and "fine", i can store 54 photos, or i have have 30 seconds of higher resolution video.
Wal-mart has a pack of 4 rechargable batteries and a charger (all 2000 mAh) for only $9.89...so that's definately worth it.

Kurous
12-29-2004, 02:42 PM
I just got an A-75 for christmas, should I return it and get a different camera? I could get an A-85 for a little bit more since they are on sale...but it seems these cameras are almost identical, are people having the same problems with this model????

thanks

reggy200305
01-18-2005, 05:09 AM
Hi waianaehawaii

I have experienced exactly the same problems as your have. Bought my camera about 3 months ago and now seem to have these problems, ie. noise when autofocusing, unable to auto focus. This seems to happen either if I change the batteries or camera settings. I could be wrong ;-). The last change I did, was to put mute off, so I could hear the camera shutter when taking snapshots. I also changed the batteries shortly afterwards. Well, just now, I put mute back on, and my problem seems to have disappeared, I dont know for how long. I had this problem before, and it went away for a while. I'm just not sure, if it's the settings ie. Mute on/off..Try it out and let me know....Lawrence

graym
03-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Hi
I bought a Canon A70 back in Oct 03 this worked fine for about 10 months and was a great camera until it came up with the Error 13 issue, so it went back to the shop for repair. They gave me a used A70 to use while mine was being fixed (very helpful) but this broke down almost instantly. So I returned it and they lent me another A70 (this one made a horrible grinding noise). Finally after a couple of months of me calling the shop, they admitted they had lost my original A70, so gave me what I thought was a brand new A75, 'great' I thought maybe Canon would have fixed the problems of the A70 in their new model. But no this one lasted about 1 month before it wouldn't focus, or it would focus but it won't actually take the picture. The pain with this problem is that it is intermittent. So I would take it into the shop and hey presto it's working again. Finally after 3 trips to the shop, it behaved and stayed broken, so they sent it away again. 2 months later I finally got it back yesterday, I took 5 photos with it before it stopped working. I really wonder whether they did anything to it at all. My advice is don't buy one and if you already have bought one - sell it! And then go and buy any other brand except Canon.

Cablexj
04-10-2005, 07:21 PM
I bought my A75 camera back in April of this year. I bought it cause I read good reviews on it. This is my first digitial camera and I really enjoyed it. I went out and bought a 512mb compact flash card so I could strore plenty pictures. July, I went on vacation with the family and started to take plenty pictures, and began to have problems with the camera. I would try to take a picture in auto focus, press the shutter button half way down to focus and the camera wouldn't focus. I then shut off the camera and turn it back on and the problem seemed to go away, it made me to begin to wonder :confused: . This happened maybe three times during the vacation, the rest of the time I took wonderful pictures. Came home and didn't use the camera for a couple of weeks, then my daughter went to use it and the same problem occured again. This time the problem with the focus is all the time, every picture is blurry, I can't get the camera to focus clearly trying everything I do. I ended up emailing Canon Factory Service Center, and explained it to them and they say I got to send it to them to get it fixed, really disappointing :mad: Another thing I recently noticed is a mechanical noise (grinding) when it trys to focus, I didn't hear the noise before the problem I now am having. I'm wondering if this is a manufacture defect?, cause I've read on the message boards of people having problems with focusing and strange noises :confused: . Hopefully this might help other buyers decide which camera to buy because I'm disappointed with my purchase at this time :eek: .

Same story here. The noise is getting worse and the focus issue just started. Off to the camera dealer...

fretman
04-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Dear Viewers,

I have started this new thread exclusively to help viewers/prospective buyers know the problems/issues with CANON POWERSHOT A-75.

If you own A-75 please spare few seconds to post your reply. Please note that many reviewers only mention good things about this digicam but not problems... This is to let the viewers know what problems they might face if they buy one...

If you have no problems with your A-75, please mention the same.

Please spare your valuable time and post reply. I hope to see the number of viewers equals the replies.

I have not had a problem as of yet with my A75. I've had it for about 3 weeks now.

jackclee
08-15-2005, 11:03 PM
I have an A75 since Nov. 2004. I have been very happy with the quality of the camera. However, recently, I ran into a problem with the camera being unable to set to capture mode. I contacted Canon support and they recommend I reset the camera by removing the battery for 20 minutes. However, this did not solve my problem. Does anyone else have similiar problem and a possible fix? or else I must return to Manufacture for repair. Thanks.
-Jack

raymondo
10-13-2005, 12:18 PM
[I]I have had my A75 for a couple of months and purchased in Spain after reading reviews. At the end of the holiday I found that the flash lagged behind the shutter in Auto Mode and the pictures are dull. It's fine in Manual Mode, which is why I really purchased this model. However, contacted Canon USA and UK with stock reply, 'Reset and if this does not work Return to us for repair'. I thought that perhaps I had some settings incorrect, but from Canon's response, I don't.
Other than that a fine camera with plenty of scope for manual adjustments. I have not experienced any of the problems others have had such as sticking shutters etc so can't advise.:cool:

hernestor
10-21-2005, 01:38 PM
I have an A75 since Nov. 2004. I have been very happy with the quality of the camera. However, recently, I ran into a problem with the camera being unable to set to capture mode. I contacted Canon support and they recommend I reset the camera by removing the battery for 20 minutes. However, this did not solve my problem. Does anyone else have similiar problem and a possible fix? or else I must return to Manufacture for repair. Thanks.
-Jack

I am having a similar problem. The camera does not start in CAPTURE mode properly and when it does (I turn it off and on a few times and switch it back and forth from PLAYBACK to CAPTURE a few times to achive this) after a few pictures ...viola: it automatically switches to PLAYBACK mode although the switch is physically set in CAPTURE mode.:mad:

The quality of the pictures (when I manage to take them) is as good as it always was but getting the camera in CAPTURE mode is a guessing game.:confused: I also hear the crunching sound that some people mentioned here when lens is opening or retracting.

Has anybody been able to fix this at home by resetting the camera or something like that? Any help will be appreciated since we sent it to Canon and they gave it back to us saying there was nothing wrong with it.:cool:

Ernesto

meda
03-28-2006, 01:03 PM
I am having a similar problem. The camera does not start in CAPTURE mode properly and when it does (I turn it off and on a few times and switch it back and forth from PLAYBACK to CAPTURE a few times to achive this) after a few pictures ...viola: it automatically switches to PLAYBACK mode although the switch is physically set in CAPTURE mode.:mad:

The quality of the pictures (when I manage to take them) is as good as it always was but getting the camera in CAPTURE mode is a guessing game.:confused: I also hear the crunching sound that some people mentioned here when lens is opening or retracting.

Has anybody been able to fix this at home by resetting the camera or something like that? Any help will be appreciated since we sent it to Canon and they gave it back to us saying there was nothing wrong with it.:cool:

Ernesto

Here I am! Same problem!!!!
Can I fix it some how??? My camera is one year old:mad:
Thanks

urban
01-01-2007, 01:17 PM
I've had this camera for a couple of years. I never was happy with the focus on this camera, it seemed to be hit and miss before I could get an accurate sharp picture to come out.

Well it fizzled totally out on me this weekend . The minute the camera is turned on, the view finder becomes filled with noise...

I am afraid this camera has seen better days, and even-then, they weren't all that good....