PDA

View Full Version : Canon PowerShot S1 IS problems

stvkrenim
10-07-2004, 09:59 PM
I bought my Canon S1 IS back in April of 2004, and it worked great for awhile. Recently, though, it has been "acting up" and I can't figure out why.

Here's what happens:
1. I power on the camera.
2. I frame my shot, and then pull on the zoom controller.
3. As soon as I pull on the zoom controller, the camera makes a loud and constant "beep-beep-beep" noise. "E18" is displayed on the LCD.
4. The camera stops beeping after a few seconds, and powers itself off. While powering off, the camera makes a weird "flutter" sound.
5. The lens remains extended after the camera shuts itself off!
6. I have to press the "OFF" button to get the lens to retract.

Is this a lens mechanism failure, or is it something to do with the ultrasonic motor?

Please help!

NeoteriX
10-08-2004, 01:02 AM
I'm not sure what that E18 error code means, but I had sort of similar behavior when I use some bad batteries (not drained batteries, but defective ones from the store). Try putting fresh ones in?

judge9847
10-08-2004, 02:17 AM
I bought my Canon S1 IS back in April of 2004, and it worked great for awhile. Recently, though, it has been "acting up" and I can't figure out why.

Here's what happens:
1. I power on the camera.
2. I frame my shot, and then pull on the zoom controller.
3. As soon as I pull on the zoom controller, the camera makes a loud and constant "beep-beep-beep" noise. "E18" is displayed on the LCD.
4. The camera stops beeping after a few seconds, and powers itself off. While powering off, the camera makes a weird "flutter" sound.
5. The lens remains extended after the camera shuts itself off!
6. I have to press the "OFF" button to get the lens to retract.

Is this a lens mechanism failure, or is it something to do with the ultrasonic motor?

Please help!
Ohhh dear ... :eek: Put "canon" and "e18" (no quote marks) into Google and stand back.

I am NOT a Canon user so I can't comment BUT there does seem to be a large number of people complaining about exactly that problem. From what I can see, it seems to be caused by dust which gets into the zoom lens mechanism and the general opinion is that it's due to poor design/workmanship. As I say, I can't comment about that.

It looks too as though it's a relatively common problem across a number of Canon models - at least that's what the search appears to reveal.

Canon seem to be saying that you might need to send your camera back to them but there are other voices in different forums or on Usenet that seem to be saying that doesn't work: Canon look for every excuse not to repair it including telling one guy that he'd dented the camera's body sometime so tough luck. Somebody has even supplied a do-it-yourself guide to how to clean the camera by taking it to bits - but you'd have to be very brave to do that to my way of seeing things. I won't link to that for obvious reasons but you'll find it if you do the search.

I think you should read what others have to say and then decide for yourself. But it does seem it is a problem and there are several possible solutions ... including the dramatic one!

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on. In the meantime, it has been referred to on this forum before (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5311#post5311) but I didn't see a cause or a solution offered anywhere. Perhaps someone else can say if it was.

fastcamera
10-08-2004, 08:07 AM
"E18" is error code for any Zoom Block problems in all Canon cameras.
Usually happens when it was impacted/pushed/bended or obstructed, while moving zoom.

psmith
12-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Is there some trick to taking photos after zoom? I can take pics otherwise but not after zooming. (Yes, Zoom IS on.)

best, paul

musashikhb
07-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Good Morning,
I have an S1 IS that has developed the E:16 error. Initially, this camera worked very well, and I took about two hundred photos total during the 18 months that it functioned. I treated it as if made of crystal; it was never dropped, bumped, nudged or mishandled in any way, and was kept in a drawer when not in use. After about 18 months of light use, the camera totally failed.
After taking some photos, I plugged in and uploaded them to my PC, then turned the camera back on in the record mode. The lens failed to extend, and the display remained dark except for an error message in the lower left corner of the display: "E:16", and the camera powered off after 3 seconds.
After repeated attempts to restart with no change in symptoms, I searched the Web for any reports of similar problems. I found numerous reports of lens failures, almost all with an associated "E:18" message, but nearly none with the e:16 code.
I e-mailed Canon tech support, and received a suggestion to remove, wait for 20 minutes, then reinstall the batteries. I confirmed that they were fully charged, and restarted the camera. The lens extended, but the LCD display is sometimes shot through with horizontal lines resembling static, which are recorded in photos taken afterwards (examples attached.). The camera now starts up randomly, and the lines come and go randomly. The only offer Canon has made after this was to offer an "upgrade" to a refurbished S2 IS for $299. That's about the price of a new one online! I have decided not to buy any Canon digital camera again. I would, however, like to try to get this one running with a degree of reliability.