PDA

View Full Version : FZ20 can focus at 1CM not 5! :)

Andy.ro
10-07-2004, 03:25 PM
Jeff have you tried less than 5 cm at wide angle ? :)

i was playing with the macro setting and i realised that it works fine at 1 cm (aprox)

http://www.andy.ro/macro/1.jpg
http://www.andy.ro/macro/2.jpg

http://www.andy.ro/macro/3.jpg

this looks like a fine macro shot to me.why would they say in the specs that it works at 5 cm minimum ..when i managed less than that ?

oh ..AUTOfocus too

Jeff Keller
10-07-2004, 04:48 PM
From those pictures it looks like the camera didn't focus on the closest subject. It focused on the subject 5 cm away because that's as close as it can get. I don't see why Panasonic would put 5 cm if it could really do 1 cm!

D70FAN
10-07-2004, 05:03 PM
From those pictures it looks like the camera didn't focus on the closest subject. It focused on the subject 5 cm away because that's as close as it can get. I don't see why Panasonic would put 5 cm if it could really do 1 cm!

Jeff,

At first I thought that as well, but the first 2 pictures were taken with a different camera just to show how close the FZ was to the target to get the final (3rd) shot.

Pretty impressive.

What was the other camera used?

PixChick
10-07-2004, 06:37 PM
What was the other camera used?

Yes, that was what I was wondering too--what was the other camera??

And also, I agree. I think the FZ-20 can focus at closer distances than 5cm while at the widest angle setting. Thanks for the pic!

PixChick :)

zookeeper
10-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Hey, 1-5, 5-1, what's the diff; it's surely a lot closer than a whole lot of other cameras at 2 to 3 times the money. Any closer and your subject would have to be a firefly, i.e. internal lighting... :D ..LOL. Jeff, you mentioned that you measure from the end of the lens and others measure from the CCD. How far is the CCD from the outermost lens? Maybe about 5cm......mmmm, so who is right?, panasonic's 5cm or user's 1cm. Nickel of one, a penny of the other. Who really cares when you get the results like illustrated.
Jerry G..........the Zookeeper

Andy.ro
10-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Jeff wrote:
From those pictures it looks like the camera didn't focus on the closest subject.

and why would i buy 2 FZ20's ? :) just kiddin!

the camera that i used to take the pictures is a Canon Digital Ixus I / Digital elph in the US :) Its been great to have it but from now on i'll take it only where the fZ cant fit :)

How far is the CCD from the outermost lens? Maybe about 5cm

hehe ..i think that's how they figured 5!

i used this camera to show the lcd of the fz20 with the picture, the distance between the fz and subject ( otherwise no one could tell)

For me, it was a big thing the macro focus range, since on this toy i had 1cm macro; when i bought the fz20 i considered (for a bit) the F717 because of the macro focus(1cm) amongst other things.

really strange why they said only 5 .Oh well MORE for us!

atkins400
10-08-2004, 07:12 AM
All camera manufacturers specify the macro focus distance as the length from the subject to the actual image sensor. If you could get enough light in there, you could probably get a clear focus on the subject if it were touching the lense, since the imager is still 5 cm away in the body of the camera!! Awesome performance regardless!!