PDA

View Full Version : Autofocus performance

Ishkabibble
11-21-2005, 08:25 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced problems with the autofocus slowing over time. I'm not sure if this is a result of a memory leak in the software, but I'm finding autofocus gets progressively slower after about 30 combined hours of camera use. When I reset the device, all is back to normal.

Last time it happened I went into the system and wrote down all factory default settings. When I noticed it getting slow I put them back in and saw no improvement. Reset the camera and confirmed the settings were still as I had set them and voila! Fast again, lens and lighting all the same, testing from power-off.

This problem is quite pronounced in low-light situations, with AF lock taking almost twice as long. Resetting is easy, but I'm shocked it makes a difference. Any ideas what might be going on?

Balrog
11-21-2005, 08:51 PM
I'm not sure, but could this be a battery issue? I've noticed lithium batteries sometimes "run down" after a lot of continuous use (to the point where the camera says they're dead and turns off), but if you leave them alone for a minute or two they're back, good for another couple hundred shots at least...

MatH
11-23-2005, 07:25 AM
I always use manual focus so I haevn't experienced anything like you've just described.
And what do you mean by "reseting the camera"?

Ishkabibble
11-25-2005, 03:33 PM
In the camera menu, under the settings section, there is an option to reset the camera. It's on the last page of the three page submenu. I'm not too worries 'cause its easy to fix, but resetting it does change all the options back to default, so it takes a couple minutes to get it back the way I like it.

dallas75287
11-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Have you sent an email to Pentax tech support concerning this issue?

Ishkabibble
11-30-2005, 08:40 PM
Reflashed the bios and all is good. Apparently it isn't a common issue but I'm not the first to have it. I thought I'd post the solution in case another experiences it.