PDA

View Full Version : Oly SP-500 UZ vs. Canon S2 IS?

wingsley
11-20-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm currently the owner of a 2001-vintage Olympus Camedia C-3020Z 3.2 megapixel digicam. While the C-3020Z has served me well in a variety of indoor and outdoor situations, I am very much aware of its quirks and limitations. Newer digicams on the market can start up, zoom, take pictures and store them at a much greater pace than the old C-3020Z.

I'm looking at new cameras. I really like Olympus' file-naming system for digicam image files. One common subject I find myself shooting is wildife. The old C-3020Z takes som nice pictures, but the quality suffers in low-light sutuations which often occur during my travels in the woods. I also find that faster startup and zoom times, along with a more powerful zoom, would be a big help. All this led me to consider the ultra-zoom cameras on the market. Unfortunately, some of the newest models were introduced recently so few, if any, reviews can be found on the web.

Two prime specimens stand out: the Olympus SP-500 UZ and the Canon S2 IS. Jeff Keller reviewed the S2 IS already:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s2-review/

But Jeff has yet to review the SP-500 UZ. I did find a review, which I assume to originate from Canada, here:

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/oly-sp500/sp500-gen.php

I was disappointed to read that the SP-500 UZ does not offer image stabilization technology, which comes standard on the S2 IS and I believe with other rivals from Sony and Panasonic.

Are there any SP-500 UZ owners out there? What do you think of your new digicams? Is the image stabilization thing overrated? Inquiring minds want to know.

Geoff Chandler
11-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Not that I wish to confuse you - but I would also consider the Sony DSC H1
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_h1-review/index.shtml
It looks like a very worthy contender - check it out!
Of the two you mentioned - I would lean towards the S2 from Canon.
I have a camera with Image stabilisation and it does help.
Having said that I also have an ancestor of the SP-500 (C-740) which works very well without the Image Stabilisation.
The Canon seems to produce consistantly great photos (browse the Photo
forums).
If you want to stick wiith Olympus however - I have no doubt this one will be OK, but I don't know that it's going to better the Canon or the Sony. The Sony seems to have the sharpest images.
Good Luck
Geoff

Ali_baba
11-30-2005, 05:05 AM
Trust me, image stabilization is needed if you are shooting with long zoom and/or in night.

I own C-765 camera, and I miss this feature in it. I will buy a new camera soon that have image stabilization, swimng 'n' tilt screen (to protect LCD from scratches. I got a one or two on C-765), no shutter lag and fast focus capability.

ADAMS1987
12-23-2005, 04:43 AM
Remember with the Sony the stabalizer only goes one when you aim but the Olympus's is always on, which chews the batterys.

Im in the same court. Im trying to decided wether to get the Olympus SP-500 Ultra Zoom or the Sony 5.1MP High Zoom Cybershot DSC-H1