PDA

View Full Version : How can I improve this image?

Jonathan
11-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Hoping for comments on how to improve this type of image next time.

I am trying to get both the reflection and the building to be in focus. In this image, I focused on the reflection.

Image Data:

Focal Length: 70mm
1/15 sec F/16
ISO 200

Vich
11-20-2005, 04:42 PM

I am trying to get both the reflection and the building to be in focus. In this image, I focused on the reflection.

Image Data:

1/15 sec F/16
ISO 200
What camera? Tripod?

Looks like camera vibration blur more than OOF. The top is very dark - I would have fixed that or cropped it. I would have cropped a lot, but that's very subjective. Trying to fit the whole thing when it doesn't really work just seems contrived (to me) - like over centering a subject. Just my take - not any quote of traditional composition rules.

I think focusing on the wood would be best, since everything else is naturally blurred anyway. Can see that you're going for the very wide DOF.

Curious; what did you envision - or did you take this several ways to see what's most striking?

Norm in Fujino
11-20-2005, 07:42 PM
Image Data:
1/15 sec F/16
ISO 200

In general, focusing issues relate to 1) distance to subject and 2) aperture. Your aperture is f16, which should probably be small enough, assuming you were far enough away from the wall to achieve so-called "hyperfocal distance" (http://www.dofmaster.com/hyperfocal.html). The other issue, as Vich suggested, might be camera shake, which is quite possible since your shutter speed was 1/15 second. You might try the same setup again but use a tripod this time.

Balrog
11-20-2005, 09:23 PM
At 70mm focal length you should ideally be shooting at a shutter speed of 1/100th or faster, to avoid camera shake. 1/15th is really too slow. I'd suggest boosting the ISO to 800 (noise doesn't really become objectionable until 1600, I've found - at least on all but the Oly slrs), and increasing the aperture to f/11. That should net you a nice 1/125th second shutter speed, while hopefully still having enough DOF for foreground and background.

Jonathan
11-21-2005, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the help thus far. Here is some more info..

Nikon D70, tripod... I really can't remember. I was shooting on and off the tripod all day, and can't remember which this shot was.

aparmley
11-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Id just take two versions of the photo, focus on the tree then the barn/house and merge the two with a layer mask in PS. If that isn't an option then I apologize.

Prior to merging them I would edit the barn one, maybe add a duotone to it and see how it brings out the weathered wood . . . then add the photo of the tree in color - This way you can add a tone to the weathered wood that may be more appealing - if it ends up not working out, no biggie.

Vich
11-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Id just take two versions of the photo, focus on the tree then the barn/house and merge the two with a layer mask in PS. If that isn't an option then I apologize.

Prior to merging them I would edit the barn one, maybe add a duotone to it and see how it brings out the weathered wood . . . then add the photo of the tree in color - This way you can add a tone to the weathered wood that may be more appealing - if it ends up not working out, no biggie.
U B da layering King Andy! Like a kid who just got a jar of lollypops.:D I am layerless - don't understand how to properly cut the edges, or even feather the cut to make it softer. So, I'm very envious.

I was just noticing that the trees have a lot of motion shadows. If so; 1/15 should be avoided by using higher ISO or wider aperture. Even a tripod isn't going to help there.

Jonathan
11-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Andy, I like the idea about the layers in PS. Can you explain what you mean by duotone?

I keep forgetting that I can change the ISO very easily. I am hoping to go to this location again, and will try that as well.