PDA

View Full Version : Canon Pro1 Lense Flare????

kutzsche
10-07-2004, 09:27 AM
I've read it in some of the reviews but I couldn't believe my eyes when I took actual photos with my brandnew Powershot Pro1. It has unbelievable vignetting problems, look at the links below:

http://eis.eit.uni-kl.de/~kutzsche/2004/mendocino_oct/pages/IMG_5757.htm
http://eis.eit.uni-kl.de/~kutzsche/2004/mendocino_oct/pages/IMG_5812.htm
http://eis.eit.uni-kl.de/~kutzsche/2004/mendocino_oct/pages/IMG_5824.htm

My question is: Is this normal, do other Pro1 users have the same amount of vignetting? In my case, the edges are almost completely dark!
From the above shots, two were taken at full tele (50mm == 200mm (35mm)) but one was taken at half zoom with only 25mm (== 100mm on a 35mm camera). All pictures did not use the the maximum aperture, they used a F-stop of 4.
I;ve read in the rewviws here at dcresource as well as others, that vignetting is a problem, but none of the users have ever complained about in real life photography. Looking at the examples above, it's ard to believe that noone find this objectionable. I think it is ridiculous that Canon sells such an expensive camera with these shortcomings.

Any comments? Thomas

NeoteriX
10-07-2004, 11:37 AM
...embarassing! :(

D70FAN
10-07-2004, 03:31 PM
I've read it in some of the reviews but I couldn't believe my eyes when I took actual photos with my brandnew Powershot Pro1. It has unbelievable vignetting problems, look at the links below:

http://eis.eit.uni-kl.de/~kutzsche/2004/mendocino_oct/pages/IMG_5757.htm
http://eis.eit.uni-kl.de/~kutzsche/2004/mendocino_oct/pages/IMG_5812.htm
http://eis.eit.uni-kl.de/~kutzsche/2004/mendocino_oct/pages/IMG_5824.htm

My question is: Is this normal, do other Pro1 users have the same amount of vignetting? In my case, the edges are almost completely dark!
From the above shots, two were taken at full tele (50mm == 200mm (35mm)) but one was taken at half zoom with only 25mm (== 100mm on a 35mm camera). All pictures did not use the the maximum aperture, they used a F-stop of 4.
I;ve read in the rewviws here at dcresource as well as others, that vignetting is a problem, but none of the users have ever complained about in real life photography. Looking at the examples above, it's ard to believe that noone find this objectionable. I think it is ridiculous that Canon sells such an expensive camera with these shortcomings.

Any comments? Thomas

Are you using a UV filter to protect the lens? If so take it off. Does this happen with every shot? or just those at f4? Either way, I would send the pictures to Canon with all the specifics.

jay
10-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Are there any firmware upgrades for it?

I was at my local camera store and talking to the guys and they said four out of ten people who purchased this cam brought it back with in the first week, two others before the end of their month.

I'm currently on the market for a non dslr camera and cause my 550ex flash will work on that cam, i was going to get it, but seeing your problems has got me thinking otherwise. That Nikon 8700 is looking real good right about now

kutzsche
10-10-2004, 06:57 PM
Yes, I was using a UV filter. However, I removed it and didn't see any improvement. I shot several pictures for comparison with and without the filter attached. They showed equal amount of vignetting.
I noticed that the vignetting only shows with large apertures (particularly with f4 and lower) and it decreases with smaller apertures, but is still visible even at f8 (even though much less so). Also, it only happens with the zoom at about 100mm and up (converted to 35mm, the zoom range of the Pro1 is 28-200mm).
I will contact Canon about it, but I would just like some feedback from exisiting Pro1 users. Is there anyone who has a Pro1 and either can either confirm this problem or does not experience it? I saw it in the tests, for example at dpreview, they mentioned (I believe) about 20% darkened eges, but mine are almost completely dark.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Thomas

akdov
12-03-2004, 12:08 AM
Just found this thread from google search, so this might be out dated, but I have to post anyway.

I just got my Pro1 back from Canon Service in Thailand 2 weeks ago because of the vignetting problem. They took my camera and tried to fix it for about a month, changing new chips, update firmware, tune up, etc. but they still couldn't solve the problem. I asked the guy who fixed my camera to let me try other Pro1 that they have, and all of them have this vignetting problems. So, the guy at the Canon service said that they can't fix it and I'll have to accept it as the 'Pro1 quality' camera.

I'm going to sell my Pro1 soon, and this is going to be my last Canon camera! :mad:

PlaneSpotter
01-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Every review I read about the Pro1 mentioned the vignetting and mine definately has it. FWIW, I looked at cameras in the sub-$1000 range and bought my Pro1 used for $600. For that money, the Pro1 just blows everything else away. Yes, there is the vignetting problem but in every one of your photos (and usually all of mine) this can easily be edited out.

I have used this camera since November 3rd with over 1200 pictures and I am completely happy with it, vignetting and all. You might find another camera in this class with less of a vignetting problem, or none at all, but they don't hold a stick to the Pro1 in terms of the L lens and the incredible images in produces.

cheers,
Phil

ReF
01-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Just found this thread from google search, so this might be out dated, but I have to post anyway.

I just got my Pro1 back from Canon Service in Thailand 2 weeks ago because of the vignetting problem. They took my camera and tried to fix it for about a month, changing new chips, update firmware, tune up, etc. but they still couldn't solve the problem. I asked the guy who fixed my camera to let me try other Pro1 that they have, and all of them have this vignetting problems. So, the guy at the Canon service said that they can't fix it and I'll have to accept it as the 'Pro1 quality' camera.

I'm going to sell my Pro1 soon, and this is going to be my last Canon camera! :mad:

one bad experience with one product and suddenly an entire company's line of cameras are all junk? you're free to feel what you want, but I feel that kind of thinking is plain silly :o . I suppose that if the cashier at the local vons/pavilions (not sure if they are in other parts of the states) supermarket is rude, then all of the other employees at their other branches are also rude and i should never shop there again...?