PDA

View Full Version : Question on white balance

dallas75287
11-18-2005, 04:44 PM
I have a Panasonic FZ5. I was wondering what are some of the things you use to set the white balance? What about a 5x3 index card? Is that good?

Thanks!

Norm in Fujino
11-18-2005, 08:06 PM
I have a Panasonic FZ5. I was wondering what are some of the things you use to set the white balance? What about a 5x3 index card? Is that good?

Depends on the paper used. I've read that many modern papers have a high proportion of blue elements in the fibers that throw off WB measurements, so you might want to take that into consideration. But in a pinch, anything white will work. I personally use a Kodak gray/white card, very cheap. The new ones come with 2 8x10 cards in a pack, plus a 4x5 (?) pocket size card in its own plastic case, making it very convenient.
There are also more expensive alternatives, such as the WhiBal and some others.

cdifoto
11-18-2005, 08:34 PM
Depends on the paper used. I've read that many modern papers have a high proportion of blue elements in the fibers that throw off WB measurements, so you might want to take that into consideration. But in a pinch, anything white will work. I personally use a Kodak gray/white card, very cheap. The new ones come with 2 8x10 cards in a pack, plus a 4x5 (?) pocket size card in its own plastic case, making it very convenient.
There are also more expensive alternatives, such as the WhiBal and some others.

I use a palm size piece of foam core board that I cut out of one of the makeshift *walls* of my product shooting table. It's only a few dollars for a posterboard size sheet at most craft stores (even Wal-Mart).

Robert Besen
11-19-2005, 08:25 AM
How about a piece of photo paper? After all, if you print your images that's the white you're going for.

cdifoto
11-19-2005, 08:56 AM
How about a piece of photo paper? After all, if you print your images that's the white you're going for.

I tried that. It was too glossy (ie reflective) when I would try to get a white balance when using my flash...the flash would be fooled by the reflection. Coulda used matte paper but since I dont print on it I didnt have it handy. Regular printer paper is too transparent (or so I assume).

Unless I didn't do it right...but I find the foam core to be a little more durable than paper anyway.