PDA

View Full Version : Olympus C7070

CVC
11-17-2005, 10:44 AM
It is surprising to find that after 6 months or so Olympus has discontinued this. Despite a few drawbacks like slow playback etc. It was a good camera for the price ( about $ 400.00)

Geoff Chandler
11-17-2005, 05:19 PM
I don't get it recently with Olympus!
I might have bought a C-7070 if they had got their act together a bit quicker.
I waited and waited, hoping it would come out and also get reviewed quickly.
I phoned them up but didn't get a very friendly response.
I reckon they made it as a sales stop gap while they developed something else. Basically it was a turbo C-5060.
Some companies do this though - bring something out and discontinue
it shortly after. Shame as I reckon it was probably quite a good camera.
I have always been an Olympus man - but I ended up with the KM A-200,
I did't feel Olympus had anything to quite match what the A-200 offered.
I may buy another Olympus one day, maybe if I go dSLR. But for now
I am happy as I am.

Rex914
11-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Where and when did they announce this? It's a bit of a shame because the C series used to be Oly's ace card, and now Oly's point and shoot division is really going down the gutter.

I recall them announcing that they would, over the next few years, trim down their compact digicam operations down to 40% and raise their DSLR operations up to 60%. It's a bit of a shame that Oly is "giving up" and not acknowledging its problems with its P&S line (which they still hold about a 10% market share in), but they should have better luck in the DSLR arena.

Pentax and KM are doing the same thing, cutting off their compact divisions and going mostly DSLR. That will leave Canon, Kodak, Sony, Fuji, Panasonic and to a far lesser extent, Casio and Nikon, to fend for this fierce market. I would not be shocked to see down the line that Canon, Sony and Kodak (especially Kodak being the strongest player) hold 75% of the compact market (they already hold over 60%, so I'm not exaggerating) and Panasonic and Fuji logging in 10% each through their strong presence with ultrazooms and seeing the others dwindling down close to nothing.

Geoff Chandler
11-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Yes they are certinly doing well in the DSLR area.
My friend just bought the E 500. If I were in the market - that would be
top of my list almost certainly - it's lovely!!!
(Edit: - above comments only initial impressions - would have to do proper
comparisons with Nikon D50 and Canon Digital Rebel XT, and Minolta models
before making final choice)

CVC
11-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Olympus has this still listed on their web site , though most dealers show it as Discontinued. A local shop that I had called did say that it was a discontinued model & so did not carry it.

What surprised me was a dealer (Tristate Camera) has it in stock and quotes the price as $ 999.99!!! (Olympus lists the price as $ 449.00)

One can get a D-SLR for that price

CVC
11-30-2005, 11:45 AM
Olympus has this still listed on their web site , though most dealers show it as Discontinued. A local shop that I had called did say that it was a discontinued model & so did not carry it.

What surprised me was a dealer (Tristate Camera) has it in stock and quotes the price as $ 999.99!!! (Olympus lists the price as $ 449.00)

CVC
11-30-2005, 11:45 AM

Rex914
11-30-2005, 02:00 PM
Tristate Camera is the last major online shop that I know of that still carries this model, and I bet you that they're marking it up double to prey on hapless consumers that want the camera so badly that they would pay a ridiculous amount like that to still get it.

hiloguy
12-29-2005, 12:47 PM
I've asked this on a separate thread with no replies, so since this one was getting some action I thougth I'd give it a try. Do any of you C-7070 enthusiasts know for sure if that camera will take threaded filters and accessories? I've got a C-2100 that I love for the loooong telephoto and DIS, and I have lots of fliters, etc for it. I'd just like to know, and nobody at the camera stores seems to know.

Thanks!

citizen_d
12-29-2005, 03:16 PM
I bought my 7070 in late August for $990 (Australian dollars) but that was part of an underwater photography package which included the Oly underwater housing, a carry bag, flash card etc. $1500 all up. It dropped AUD$2-300 shortly after but I've been happy with it so far but it's a shame it's being discontinued.

Hiloguy - I know Oly sell the CLA-7 lens adapter for the 5060 and 7070. I don't own one so not sure if it is what you are after.

Cheers,

D

Donato777
01-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Does anyone know if Olympus will replace either the C-7070 or C-8080 will an updated model? These are great cameras but nearly impossible to find now for a reasonable price.