PDA

View Full Version : Red Eye Reduction issues

GirlyMom
10-06-2004, 10:19 AM
I want to buy a digital camera to take pictures mainly of my children. I've researched some and spoken with owners but many complain about red eyes in their photos.

Any recommendations for reasonably priced cameras (under $400) that address this issue well? Is there a good printer that can edit the red eye before printing?

Any suggestions are much appreciated!! :)

John_Reed
10-06-2004, 04:07 PM
I want to buy a digital camera to take pictures mainly of my children. I've researched some and spoken with owners but many complain about red eyes in their photos.

Any recommendations for reasonably priced cameras (under $400) that address this issue well? Is there a good printer that can edit the red eye before printing?

Any suggestions are much appreciated!! :)I've been really surprised at how well the Panasonic cameras I've shot with have done with redeye. I hardly ever see it! I've found that if I use the "redeye reduction" flash mode, and if my subject is looking at the camera, it works! I've seen this now on the FZ1, FZ10, and FZ20. For your purposes and price range, let me suggest you look at the Panasonic DMC-FZ3, a new sub-$400 camera that should give you the same benefits. Also, you may find that with the fast, long zoom, stabilized lens that the camera has, you'll be able to take more "available light" shots, for which redeye is not an issue.

There are no printers that I know of that can remove red eye themselves; that's usually done via a computer program. There are a few cameras coming out that actually reduce redeye in the photo internally, such as the HP R707 (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraDetail.php?cam=577), for one example. That particular camera may have that redeye feature, but it has nowhere near the lens capability of the FZ3 I mentioned.

D70FAN
10-06-2004, 04:28 PM

Any suggestions are much appreciated!! :)

Long with the FZ3 that John has suggested, you might want to take a look at the Canon A75 and A85 which have recieved good comments on anti-red-eye capabilities as well.

The rule of thumb is the farther from the lens the flash can be placed the better. This makes it difficult to make a small pocket size camera with good red-eye characteristics.

As a final note, the FZ3 is a lot of fun, and if your kids are into outdoor sports you will come to appreciate that fast, 12X, Image Stabilized, lens.

As always, try before you buy.