PDA

View Full Version : Please Help - Advice Needed On Taking Pictures Indoors And In The Dark

markcoop
11-13-2005, 10:11 AM
Hello -

Could anyone please advise me? I am new to digital photography and am having problems taking pictures. I have a Canon S60 camera which I thought had quite a good spec.

However I am having problems with taking pictures at night and indoors. I switch the camera to night mode but more often than not they come out blurry. This also happens a lot even in good light on the auto setting. The only time I can get a good in focus picture is if I use a Tripod. Is this a standard problem with digital camera's or is there anything I can do to improve this and my technique?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

coldrain
11-13-2005, 11:25 AM
It is not so much a problem of "in focus" (the photos are in focus) but of blur because of camera shake.
What ISO value do you use? The lowest (ISO 50) is fine on sunny days outside. When it is overcast, ISO 100 or 200 may be better, also inside.
When it is dark, you will either need to flash, or indeed support the camera witha tripod of something else, because the photo needs a certain amount of light and the exposure time will be longer... so any small camera movement will make the photo look blurry.

Rex914
11-14-2005, 08:58 PM
This is a standard problem on most point and shoots. Your only solutions are to bump the ISO and to use a larger aperture (lower F-number) as possible for the net effect of upping that shutter speed. Since it's a point and shoot, you shouldn't run into the problem of having a shallow DOF. Try that.

Ali_baba
11-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Indeed, you need to use higher ISO, and tripod is needed if the photos are scene shots.

I am including an example photo to give you an idea. I was not using tripod, and you can see the "punishment" by a little blur. Exposure time (shutter speed) was set to 3,2 seconds. F number is 2,8. ISO is 64.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1781/pb260001large9jf.jpg

Phill D
12-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Ali that is a pretty amaizing shot without a tripod, at 3.2 s you must have stopped breathing! presumably the camera was rested on something at least & you used a remote trigger? nice shot whatever.

deadman
12-02-2005, 12:34 PM
My problem is often getting a focus lock in low light. Forget about using the zoom in low light too. Manual focus in low light is a bit difficult also.

NewTekBuzz
12-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Ali_baba

Thats not a bad pic at all for not using a tri-pod. what lens did you use??

Tim

JTL
12-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Manual focus in low light is a bit difficult also.Please see my tip/instructions on using hyperfocal focusing in the DCRP Canon S2 IS Tip List thread: http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=59380#post59380