PDA

View Full Version : DX7440 Focus Zones

AmyM
10-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Hello: I am about to buy my first digital camera and am deciding between the Kodak DX7440 and the Canon A85. I am tempted by the Canon's manual focus function, but I noticed the Kodak has a zone focus function. Can anyone explain to me how it works and if they like using it? Thanks.

Amy

pgoelz
10-05-2004, 06:20 PM
As far as I can determine, the multi zone option means that the camera can select a focus that is a best fit for a couple zones along a horizontal line through the center of the image. Works fine for most situations, but I have to say that I shoot in low light a lot and manual focus is the one option that I miss on the DX7440. The 7440 does OK but there are times when it fails to focus in low light. On the other hand, I have found that if you can stay zoomed out, you can simply set the focus to infinity and the focus will be OK from about three or four feet on out to infinity. Makes the small shutter delay even smaller too.

If you go for the Cannon, make sure that you check the optical viewfinder vs. actual picture alignment. A couple I have used have been significantly mis-aligned, even at distances of ten or more feet.

AmyM
10-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Thanks for responding. This is extremely helpful. One of my reasons I've been leaning toward the Kodak is the fast shooting speed, and it sounds like you're confirming that. But I may be confused -- I thought the zone focus was something that you can manually control? Or is it part of the autofocus system? Thanks again!

Amy

pgoelz
10-09-2004, 05:47 AM
Yes, you can control the zone focus to a point. You can select a fixed zone to the left center or right. You can also select multi zone, where the camera will select a zone but I am not sure how (or why) it does that. I suspect it looks throughout the area where it checks focus and selects one or two areas where there is adequate contrast to determine focus. It works pretty well until you get to low light. Then it can sometimes fail.

AmyM
10-09-2004, 09:02 AM
Ah -- thanks for explaining! :)