PDA

View Full Version : EOS 20D Firmware update

D70FAN
10-05-2004, 08:07 AM
There is a firmware update for the 20D avaialble that fixes a couple of problems. The site seems to be down right now but I'm sure it will be up later.

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20d/eos20d_firmware-e.html

eagle17
10-05-2004, 08:35 PM
FYI there seems to be a few people reporting problems...

I am going to wait a little bit as it does not contain any bug fixes for me.

D70FAN
10-05-2004, 11:20 PM
FYI there seems to be a few people reporting problems...

I am going to wait a little bit as it does not contain any bug fixes for me.

Yup, I understand as I did not install the firmware update in my D70 either. For the same reason.

Rhys
10-06-2004, 08:39 AM
Yup, I understand as I did not install the firmware update in my D70 either. For the same reason.

I had no problems with my S1 other than some uggy image quality at times. The posted fixes were for problems I had not experienced but lo and behold, the image quality was mysteriously improved also.

D70FAN
10-06-2004, 02:57 PM
I had no problems with my S1 other than some uggy image quality at times. The posted fixes were for problems I had not experienced but lo and behold, the image quality was mysteriously improved also.

Looks like it's a moot point as Canon pulled the update. Rumor has it that it caused unrecoverable errors. :eek:

calpchen
10-12-2004, 09:05 AM
It looks like they've re-released the firmware with the installation bug fixed. The version is now 1.0.5.
Q: What has been changed in version 1.0.5 of the firmware?

A: We have discovered that the version 1.0.4 firmware released on October 4 had a bug in the program that handles the update. In cases where the update was performed with a lens attached to the camera, there were situations in which the firmware could not be updated correctly.

The version 1.0.5 firmware fixes the version 1.0.4 bug so that the firmware can be updated correctly. As for the actual improvements in the firmware:
Q: Does the version 1.0.5 firmware incorporate all of the fixes from previous versions?

A: Yes, it does. The following version 1.0.4 fixes are also included.

1. Fixes the problem of shutter release not working.

In rare cases, the camera freezes and the shutter stops working if a lens removed or attached while the camera is in auto power off mode. (In other cases, the camera might hang up during continuous shooting.) - This problem has been fixed.

2. Improves reliability when using some CF cards.

Improved reliability of communication with CF cards

eagle17
10-12-2004, 02:42 PM
This was very successful for me. I also notice that it no longer locks up when I change to and from a cannon IS lens.

Howard Gabbert
10-13-2004, 01:42 PM
I got the 1.04 update - installed it without a problem. Camera performed perfectly.

Then when Canon pulled 1.0.4, I got 1.0.5 and repeated the process - again perfect results.

Canon changed the install procedure by requiring the update to be applied with no lens attached to the camera - body only.

Anyway - it is serving me very well - samples here:

http://corky-g.smugmug.com/gallery/246245/1/9611242

D70FAN
10-13-2004, 03:31 PM
I got the 1.04 update - installed it without a problem. Camera performed perfectly.

Then when Canon pulled 1.0.4, I got 1.0.5 and repeated the process - again perfect results.

Canon changed the install procedure by requiring the update to be applied with no lens attached to the camera - body only.

Anyway - it is serving me very well - samples here:

http://corky-g.smugmug.com/gallery/246245/1/9611242

Glad it worked (both times). Nice pictures. Looks like the Southwest. Where?