PDA

View Full Version : Error 99

Ilana
10-05-2004, 03:30 AM
I've recently read about the infamous Error 99 on the Canon 300D. I'd like to know how much of a problem this really is, and whether Canon will readily replace the cameras that are problematic. Is there perhaps a setting which is causing this error?

I haven't bought the camera yet. Am trying to choose between the Rebel, Sony F828, Powershot Pro. Photography is a hobby for me, but I do need to blow up my prints to a maximum size of A1.

eagle17
10-05-2004, 07:44 AM
although it can get costly the nice thing about the rebel is the ability to change the lens to your needs. if you want a really big zoom for wildlife pics you can just find a lens and go with it. with the sony you will be stuck with the lens on the camera, although a good lens you may decide you need more at some point.

Here in the US the price for the sony is about $500 and the rebel is about $650.

Also because the sony uses a lower quality consumer point and shoot stile ccd the noise is horrible and if you plan on blowing up images you will get very bad lookiing grain. the Digital Rebel has a professional series sensor that does not have nearly the same amount of noise in the photos when blown up.

I would recomend the canon onver the sony but I would also recomend learning how the manual settings work so that you can really take full advantage of the camera, also I have discovered that it is not really that much harder to carry my canon 20D than it was to carry my digital elf.

good luck on the decision.

also the prices I quoted were from http://royalcamera.com i have never done business with them and do not know how good of a company they are so I would recomend research before you purchase anything.

LoveOfSelene
10-05-2004, 07:16 PM
[QUOTE=Ilana]I've recently read about the infamous Error 99 on the Canon 300D. I'd like to know how much of a problem this really is, QUOTE]

I believe Error 99 is when the rebel or Canon D-SLR rejects a certain lens you mount on it. Most ppl get this b/c they mount an incompatible lens, or an old lens w/o a modern chip.

Corect me if im wrong. :p

Hope this helps

~LoveOfSelene

jay
10-08-2004, 12:55 AM
you are correct.

I only got it once when the rubber from the lens ring had worked itself off.
I've owned the rebel since the day it came out and knock on wood, havent had a single problem.

I get the same image quality as the 10d and tricked it out so I have all the functions of the 10d ;)

Ilana
10-08-2004, 09:40 AM
Thanks to all of you for your advice. I am still slightly concerned that 6.3 million pixels will soon be obsolete, but I think it's the best choice for now. I wish I could afford the new Canon 20D! So, do you think that the Rebel will allow me to blow up my pictures to A1 size? The local digi-printing lab in Cape Town assures me it should be ok, but would like other opinions.

Thanks, cheers!

jay
10-08-2004, 11:48 AM
I always get my images printed at 8.5x12 so I think A1 shouldn't be too big of a problem.

The key to remember is bump your pixels up to 300dpi and you should be good to go.

meng-chieh
10-08-2004, 12:13 PM
you are correct.

I only got it once when the rubber from the lens ring had worked itself off.
I've owned the rebel since the day it came out and knock on wood, havent had a single problem.

I get the same image quality as the 10d and tricked it out so I have all the functions of the 10d ;)

Hi Jay,

How did you manage to trick the 300 into behaving like a 10? Firmware? If so, where can I get this upgrade? Any compatibility problems?

LoveOfSelene
10-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Hi Jay,

How did you manage to trick the 300 into behaving like a 10? Firmware? If so, where can I get this upgrade? Any compatibility problems?

Whoa, I never heard of that before. That would be cool tho...on the other hand ur'll loose your warrenty for it won't u?

~LoveOfSelene

jay
10-08-2004, 04:55 PM
It will NOT void you're warranty!!!

http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/tricks/digital-rebel-tricks.html

simple process

lizmoody@charter.net
07-23-2005, 04:17 PM
I've just recently started getting this message too. I use a canon zoom lens, and the regular wide angle, both lenses gives me this error. I called tech support and they had me remove lenses, remove cards and no matter what I still get the error. My next step is to mail off just the body to the camera support to have them look at it.

The only reason I'm posting my experience, is that after I started getting the message, I started doing research on the error and the only thing I've seen people say is oh, it's because it's a sigma lens, and canon won't support the problem with sigma lenses.

Both of my lenses are indeed canon. I take great care of my camera-oh and I've only had it for 3 months..

cdifoto
07-23-2005, 04:46 PM
It will NOT void you're warranty!!!

http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/tricks/digital-rebel-tricks.html

simple process

Yes it CAN violate the warranty. This from the main page you linked:

"While a solid camera out of the box, the Canon EOS 300D Digital Rebel user experience can be enhanced with a few simple, money-saving tricks. In fact, I roughly estimate that these tips and tricks can save you over $500

I know that claiming a savings of over $500 might seem far fetched, but I will show you below that it is possible.

Disclaimer: Most, if not all of these tips and tricks could violate your Camera's warranty. Any use of these tips is at your will and not the fault of this website or the author.

Most of this information is gleaned from various forums, so the information to the best of my ability, is as accurate as possible, though I do not guarantee the results or accuracy of the claims below.

For corrections, please contact liem [at] starfleet.com"

Rhys
07-23-2005, 05:12 PM
Yes it CAN violate the warranty. This from the main page you linked:
Disclaimer: Most, if not all of these tips and tricks could violate your Camera's warranty. Any use of these tips is at your will and not the fault of this website or the author.

According to my XT manual, there might be compatibility issues with other manufacturer's kit but it should work with it and won't violate the warranty. Besides - how would Canon know that you used a lens from some other manufacturer?

If Canon were to dare to put something to record which lenses you used which could be used to void the warranty then they would fall foul of laws against spyware and would be violating their customers' human rights. Not a smart move so they don't do it.

cdifoto
07-23-2005, 05:58 PM
According to my XT manual, there might be compatibility issues with other manufacturer's kit but it should work with it and won't violate the warranty. Besides - how would Canon know that you used a lens from some other manufacturer?

If Canon were to dare to put something to record which lenses you used which could be used to void the warranty then they would fall foul of laws against spyware and would be violating their customers' human rights. Not a smart move so they don't do it.

It's not other lenses...it's a website about hacks and modifications to the camera.

24Peter
07-23-2005, 06:17 PM

I read someplace recently that most US automotive manufacters have installed little black boxes in your cars that automatically record all kinds of data immediately before and after a crash - speed, brakes applied or not, seat belt fastened, etc. Originally it was to monitor whether air bags were deploying properly, but now the codes to unlock this data are being given to law enforcement and insurance companies to aid in investigating accidents. No one ever told me my car might be collecting data about my driving habits, much less that insurance companies or law enforcement would have access to that data. :rolleyes:

Mark_48
07-23-2005, 06:39 PM
I've recently read about the infamous Error 99 on the Canon 300D. I'd like to know how much of a problem this really is, and whether Canon will readily replace the cameras that are problematic. Is there perhaps a setting which is causing this error?.......

The Err99 is a generic catchall error code and can mean any number of problems with the camera and not just with the lens, although in alot of times it will be the lens or the lens contacts that mate with the body. Other reasons for an Err99 may be the software in the camera glitched and just needs to be reset by removal and reinsertion of the battery which essentially reboots the camera. There are Err99's unfortunately that do require Canon factory service. I have both the DRebel and a 20D and have yet to have an Err99 ( I know I shouldn't have said that...). You may see what seem like alot of postings here and there about Err99, but there are alot of Canon DSLR's out there, so what your seeing is but a small percentage out of the total. I would hope as long as one takes reasonable care of the camera that it would last a long time.
Go for the Canon and enjoy it. Of enlargements I've done with the DRebel I find that 6.3 MP is fine.

Mark..........

cdifoto
07-23-2005, 06:56 PM
I had an err99 when I popped up the flash to use it as fill flash in bright sunlight. I had the ISO too high and aperture too wide open so it couldn't use a fast enough shutter speed. I dropped the ISO to 100 and the aperture to f/11 or so and it worked.

Had to turn the camera off and back on but after that I was set.

(Just goes to show it CAN be anything)

Rhys
07-23-2005, 06:58 PM
I read someplace recently that most US automotive manufacters have installed little black boxes in your cars that automatically record all kinds of data immediately before and after a crash - speed, brakes applied or not, seat belt fastened, etc. Originally it was to monitor whether air bags were deploying properly, but now the codes to unlock this data are being given to law enforcement and insurance companies to aid in investigating accidents. No one ever told me my car might be collecting data about my driving habits, much less that insurance companies or law enforcement would have access to that data. :rolleyes:

Might I offer you a pair of wire-cutters to cut the cables attached to this black bix?

jglaze
10-30-2005, 06:34 AM
Please let me know how this worked out for you. After having my camera for 1 1/2 years with no problems it "Error 99" me at the start of my daughters huge 8th birthday party last night. Needless to say I was not to pleased. I use only Canon lens and take exceptional care of my camera.

How cooperative was Canon in fixing this problem?

Thanks, Joy

I've just recently started getting this message too. I use a canon zoom lens, and the regular wide angle, both lenses gives me this error. I called tech support and they had me remove lenses, remove cards and no matter what I still get the error. My next step is to mail off just the body to the camera support to have them look at it.

The only reason I'm posting my experience, is that after I started getting the message, I started doing research on the error and the only thing I've seen people say is oh, it's because it's a sigma lens, and canon won't support the problem with sigma lenses.

Both of my lenses are indeed canon. I take great care of my camera-oh and I've only had it for 3 months..

pxrmkr
03-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Alright here's the deal. I've been a professional Canon shooter for over 20 years now and I'm a big fan of Canon, but after dealing with this persistant problem on my 10D and my 20D I am over it! Don't believe half the crap you read out there about "cleaning your lens contacts," or using Canon compatible lenses.

I only use Canon L-series lenses and have sent my entire outfit, body, lenses, flashes, sync cords, to Canon for repair/diagnostics, and twice they've sent everything back saying it "checks out OK." I've spoken with other pro's and to Canon at lenght about this manufacturing flaw and they are aware of it. Some reps will admit it on the phone, but I can't seem to find anything on company paper that acknowledges this.

If anyone out there can come up with something "in writing" please contact me as I am considering a class action suit. I cannot afford to continue missing shots because my camera locks up and the cost to replace all my equiptment is staggering.

coldrain
03-08-2006, 01:31 PM
pxrmkr, I guess you do not use Windows, since I am sure you would rant about any software product the same way too since computer programs much more often crash than your camera has shown you an err99.

The err99 is not just one thing. If an error in the computer software occurs that it does not know how to deal with, you get the err99. You get problems with some Nikon cameras, with some KM cameras.
Just that with Canon they all get pushed onto one "err99" heap and you can find then that way on google, does not mean there is a systematic problem. You do not seem to realize just how complex digital cameras are compared to film cameras. A lot of people have Canon DSLR's without problems.

Another thing to take into account is that Canon is market leader, more cameras out there means more problem reports too, it is logical.

When i read your post I get the idea that you have one lens not playing totally by the rules, and causing an er99 exception in the cameras software. Since you do not even take a note on when exactly the error occurs, how is anyone able to determine what is the cause, especially since you have only have the camera locked up twice, meaning when you turn it off and on it is working fine again.

I have an old Sigma lens that causes an err99 situation, I do not rant about it, instead I understand what causes it, understand it is unavoidable and I just simply do not use that lens anymore since it is incompatible electrically to my canon dslr.

pxrmkr
03-08-2006, 02:09 PM
coldrain,

I'm not sure what your experience level is in photography, but in reading comprehension you get a "D". I think I was very clear in the fact that I have all Canon equipt. A lot of it - $16,000 to be exact. And AS I SAID, I've sent two different cameras, along with the peripheral gear including FIVE lenses, back to the manufacturer for repair without success.

If you're a professional shooter, particularly in sports and/or wedding photography, then surely you can appreciate that while I am shutting my camera off to get rid of an error code the bride has already kissed the groom, tossed her bouquet, or cut the cake - get the picture? If you're taking snapshots of the faimily pet I guess this might be the minor incovenience you make it out to be, but in my business I DONT GET SECOND CHANCES and "oops, hang on, my camera locked up doesn't cut it!!!

So, my guess is you either work for Canon, or do not do this for a living.

?

cdifoto
03-08-2006, 02:36 PM
If it happens a lot, I'd be peeved. If it's a once or twice off thing, I wouldn't worry about it. The startup time of a current dSLR is a fraction of a second. Off, on. The camera is ready before you are.

Like I said before. I had the error99 once. I turned the camera off and back on again and haven't seen it since. That was several months ago and I've shot 2 weddings, many auto races, and quite a few sporting events with my lowly XTs without issue between then and now.

pxrmkr
03-08-2006, 02:41 PM
coldrain,

I'll bet a fair amount of money you work in a camera store don't you? That pro-tech, software friendly, geeky stuff blew your cover. I was shooting for a living while you were still in jr. high, skippy.

coldrain
03-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Why on earth do you send all your stuff "for repairs" when you should know with what lens your camera gave an error. And again, error 99 is NOT a specific error but it is given when something occurs the camera software can not deal with. So throwing every error 99 event on one heap is stupid to say the least. If you can not tell Canon when it happens, if you can not even tell with what lens it occurs, then you may tell me how Canon can find the flaw.
A nightmare for any service orginization.

Just that Canon gives out an error 99 on software crashes, does not mean that other manufacturers ddon't get a problem with lenses or a camera once in a while. They just do not all get labeled "error 99" on fora and such.

Since you do not have one of the severe hardware damage err99 occurances, just take note with what lens it occurs and either get that one checked out specifically or replace it.

If you can't see how unnuanced your post is that is your problem. I just do not want these err99 rants that lack any insight in what is going on to give the impression you best steer clear from Canon DSLRs (like the error 18 from broken lenses in compact digitals gave the impression canons were all beraking). Just as I do not want certain Nikon D70 failures to get people to steer clear of Nikon Camras, or faulty KM 7D's to make people avoid KM/Sony DSLRs.

The software/computers in these cameras just make them a lot more complex than the SLRs of yesterday, and so problems can arise more often. And besides a (known) faulty lens I have not had a single problem, as have others. That some do have problems is not sympomatic.

And yes, of course i work for Canon. And of course I work in a camera shop. And what amount of money did you actually want to bet?

pxrmkr
03-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Coldrain,

You seem to posses a fair amount of technical knowledge, but perhaps to a fault. I really don't have a lot more time to continue this friendly little banter, but I'll leave you with this. I DID in fact spend the better part of last season attempting to find a correlation between lens/camera/flash/teperature/day of the week, planet in the solar system, in an effort to zero in on what factors were conspiring to cause the fault. It was only then that I sent all of this equiptment, along with a detailed explanation of the problem to Canon. By the way - It was Canon that told me to do so!

You should really stop making so many assumptions. It's a sign of overcompesation and it makes you look less intelligent than I suspect you are.

cdifoto
03-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Maybe your error 99 was like the 24-105 f/4L flare issue. You had to be standing on your head and rubbing your belly counterclockwise while chanting "Canon fills my moat and floats my boat....Canon fills my moat and floats my boat..."

:eek: :rolleyes: :D

pxrmkr
03-10-2006, 07:19 AM
Hey cdi,

Oh please - do tell. I just bought a new 24-105 4.0 L last week, but I haven't heard about any flaring issues. What's up with that.

cdifoto
03-10-2006, 07:23 AM
Hey cdi,

Oh please - do tell. I just bought a new 24-105 4.0 L last week, but I haven't heard about any flaring issues. What's up with that.

No worries. They took care of it late last year.

pxrmkr
03-10-2006, 07:26 AM
Cwoool.... thanks.

MemphisRaines
05-19-2006, 11:23 PM
I too have got the "Err 99" message with my Digital Rebel. I wasn't sure what caused it at first but I figured out quickly that just popping the battery in and out wasn't the solution as others have already discussed here. I experienced this problem only once with my 12-year old Canon EF 80-200mm lense and all the time with my 11-year old Quantaray 70-300mm. With the Quantaray, it was a fantastic lense with my old 35mm Canon SLR but not with the Digital Rebel. It seems I can get it to work indoors but take it outside to places like Indianapolis Motor Speedway or Mid-Ohio to shoot Formula One or sports cars regardless if it is sunny or overcast, it is useless which can be very frustrating. I'm still able to take fantastic pictures with the 80-200mm (which blows away anything I ever took with the old 35mm) but for things like motorcycle races, a 70-300mm lense, with the Digital Rebel's 1.6X maginification (I believe that is right), where the vehicles are smaller, it nice to have that extra length on your zoom to pick up the stitching on the rider's leathers or the wild graphics on their helmets.

To be honest, I was under the impression that the Digital Rebel would work with all EF lenses, new and old, and I thought that would include generic EF lenses like the Quantaray but I guess I was mistaken. I have had no problems using the lense provided with my Digital Rebel. However, I reached the conclusion prior to reading this that there was something messing with my Digital Rebel's circuitry which made it go haywire when my Quantaray was attached to it. So, I decided it was the lense that was the problem and not the body (in my case). The Quantaray is old and wasn't made for this latest era of cameras and never was intended so. It was outdated technology that can't mesh with the latest and greatest. Such is life. I will buy a new Canon 70-300mm for the motorcycle races later this summer and if the dreaded "Err99" comes up again, then I will definitely change my tune!

jimmymac
07-22-2006, 10:39 AM
my camera(digital rebel) is now unusable due to error 99 message. started off intermitently 6 months after I bought it, but is now 90% of shots. it's just out of the warranty period by a few months :rolleyes: I only ever use the kit lense that comes with it. the error 99 is much worse in the manual mode, which is the only setting I ever use. sometimes I can get a shot after 7 or 8 attempts using point and shoot setting. It's very dissapointing. it takes nice pictures. got some photos I took using it in the british journal of photography :o but.. the camera has lasted one year only. so I couldn't really recommend it. it seems a very common fault.

coldrain
07-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Why have you not tried another lens to try andf find out what is the problem? And why have you not tried to contact Canon yet?

Rhys
07-22-2006, 08:05 PM
I get Err99 occasionally. I believe it's more due to dirty contacts than to any other problem.

I did a shoot using my 70-300 Tamron. Half way through 100 photos I got an Err99. I powered down and back up and carried on shooting. Another time I tried and tried to get my 70-300 lens on and working but kept getting Err99. Other lenses worked fine. 45 minutes later I put the 70-300 on and it worked fine:rolleyes:

Wesson
02-18-2007, 12:39 PM
The problem with the Canon 300D is very often caused by shutter unit failure. It cost a lot to replace it by Canon, but if you are a D-I-Y man, you may buy one from Fairbid (http://shutter.fairbid.eu).
Sometimes you do not need to replace the complete shutter unit, the Error 99 can be caused by uncompatible lenses, and it may be repaired by just taking out the battery (means some kind of reset for the electronics).

mediyoga
02-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Awright guys

I am adding my little experience on err 99 on my canon 30 D. My 17-85 lens was perfect when one day last month it gave this error. I have a lens guy look into it. This guy is a professional and repaired it in a jiffy. Showed me a strip of printed circuitry that got cut inside the lens. Cleaning the contacts did not help as you see in the forums.

As luck would have it, the camera slipped from my lap and the lens hit the padded stage and the 99 came again. Again back to this guy who used a loupe and showed me a minute cut again and replaced the strip free of charge! I only regret that I did not take pics of the lens in pieces and assembly and the strip.
As of now its working fine. And it cost me only USD 80.
:)

adam75south
02-19-2007, 09:24 AM
i deserve a post for reading this whole thread.

i've had one err99, it was with my 24-70 f/2.8 a few weeks ago and hopefully it was only a dirty contact because after i turned off and on and remounted the lens it has worked fine.

coldrain, you don't really work for canon do you?

mcenut
02-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Got an error 99 on my 20D once while using a Tamron lens. I had to remove the lens and battery to get the error go away. I have never had the error with any of my Canon lenses.

luaibi
08-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Hello there
MY CAMERA SHOWS ERRPR 99 and the problem I have is that the CF card has a problem. I can read it by the computer but when I put it in the camera it tells me that there is a problem with the card. When I tried to format it in the camera it gave me error 99. I don't know what to do.

[
QUOTE=LoveOfSelene;6335]
I've recently read about the infamous Error 99 on the Canon 300D. I'd like to know how much of a problem this really is, QUOTE]

I believe Error 99 is when the rebel or Canon D-SLR rejects a certain lens you mount on it. Most ppl get this b/c they mount an incompatible lens, or an old lens w/o a modern chip.

Corect me if im wrong. :p

Hope this helps

~LoveOfSelene

Rhys
08-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Err99 is pretty generic. Try a different card or format the card in your card reader.

dorin
08-19-2008, 11:04 AM
when i had the error 99 i searched through a lot of forums and basically there are 3 kind of people:
1. the ones they get it once (they take the battery once, clean the contacts, something minor and then it never comes again, or twice a year)
2. the ones like me, it comes ones, it goes away, comes after few hours, and then you have a very expensive piece of a black useless box (if you're under warranty, lucky you)
3. the ones which get it about 70% of the time but NEVER when the camera is at service

Err99 doesn't mean that that particular thing is not ok, means that something is not ok, now go figure, literally. i know it is frustrating....trust me i've been there

joanne gervais
06-10-2012, 03:57 PM
I also have a Canon Rebel and recently got a Err99 on it and I also have a Canon lens on it. According to the manual (paper copy which I still carry in my camera bag!) says this occurs when a non Canon lens is used, but a canon lens is on the body. To make matter worse, I also have a Canon EOS 30D and it started the ERR99 this week, several weeks after my Rebel started. This is starting to look like there is a "Canon Virus" out there. Is is time we approach Canon with this issue? I may have the problem with one camera but both?!! I have a Canon lens on the Rebel and a Tamron Zoom on the 30D. There is no way that all of us have done the same thing and all of us have this ERR99. This error code seems to be a generic catch all for "your camera no longer works". My Rebel was wonderful since I purchased it new, but once the err came, I can get 1-5 pics before ERR99 pops up. Then, like the rest of you, I turn the camera off, uninstall the batter, reinstall the battery and then may get a few shots off if lucky.
Anyone come up with a solution? If not, I would like to contact Canon as a group and ask for a solution.