PDA

View Full Version : Leica Lens

da_kid
10-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Does leica lens especially for the FZ20 are protected from moist because of the changing weather? and from scratches?

judge9847
10-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Does leica lens especially for the FZ20 are protected from moist because of the changing weather? and from scratches?
I'm sure there are no special treatments that will do what you're thinking they might. You just have to look after your lens all the time. You really should think about buying something like a UV filter for the FZ series of cameras because that will protect the lens from both Ultra Violet light and stop it getting scratched.

Hope that helps a bit.

Janet
10-06-2004, 06:23 AM
You really should think about buying something like a UV filter for the FZ series of cameras because that will protect the lens from both Ultra Violet light and stop it getting scratched.
Hope that helps a bit.

Hi Bob
Are you saying the lens needs UV protection? I don't think I knew that.

Janet

John_Reed
10-06-2004, 07:42 AM
Are you saying the lens needs UV protection? I don't think I knew that.I can't put words in Bob's mouth, but I'll bet he meant that the UV filter would improve photos by filtering out the UV, not because the lens is allergic to UV. Personally, I don't use any filters at all. I am paranoid about protecting my lenses; I always keep the lens caps on when not shooting, and treat the lens with great respect. I've now shot ~7,000 shots with my FZ10, and I've had to gently clean its lens only once. I've tried polarizing filters, but I seem to get better effects (e.g., bluer sky) by just tweaking the manual exposure values to get the colors I want.

judge9847
10-06-2004, 10:23 AM
I can't put words in Bob's mouth, but I'll bet he meant that the UV filter would improve photos by filtering out the UV, not because the lens is allergic to UV. Personally, I don't use any filters at all. I am paranoid about protecting my lenses; I always keep the lens caps on when not shooting, and treat the lens with great respect. I've now shot ~7,000 shots with my FZ10, and I've had to gently clean its lens only once. I've tried polarizing filters, but I seem to get better effects (e.g., bluer sky) by just tweaking the manual exposure values to get the colors I want.
John is quite right. I understand that filtering out the UV does no harm at all and frankly it does seem to improve images a bit. At the same time, using a UV filter does go some way to protecting the lens from nasties and the UV light at the same time.

I live at sea level - the English Channel is but a half mile to the east of me - so the atmosphere is generally naturally corrosive. And I do very often take the FZ10 round a local nature reserve which is in effect, some three miles out into the Channel and a very windy place! So I feel more comfortable knowing that the lens is protected against both the UV, salt in the atmosphere AND it's images are improved. Not only is that a win/win situation, strikes me as being a win/win/win!

Like John, I chose to use the on-camera adjustments to get the colours I want.

Now, if only I could figure a way to make it grandson proof as well ... ;)

winterlw
10-06-2004, 10:46 AM
panasonic also has a MC protector ($30) that prevents the lens from being scratched without filtering out anything if you don't want that effect. I don't know about the moisture though. good luck.