PDA

View Full Version : Control, model, SLR virgin

here_is_gone_88
11-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Okay well I am just wondering if with the SLR models, and if so (which) you have a lot of control of the camera...I really want one I can have manual control with. I want to learn at this, this will be my first SLR camera. I am very interested; plus which model is usually the best to start with that will last me the longest. And have a lot of fun accessories, or should I stick to the digital rebel?

Ironman11
11-08-2005, 03:56 AM
Okay well I am just wondering if with the SLR models, and if so (which) you have a lot of control of the camera...I really want one I can have manual control with. I want to learn at this, this will be my first SLR camera. I am very interested; plus which model is usually the best to start with that will last me the longest. And have a lot of fun accessories, or should I stick to the digital rebel?
Any Digital SLR will provide you with as much control of the camera as you please. The *ist DS was my first DSLR, and I have loved it. Its great for low light sports, and pretty much anything else. As far as fun accessories go, most, if not all DSLR's have tons of lenses and flashes. Pentax DSLR's are no exception. The Pentax cameras even allow you to buy older Pentax lens from places such as eBay and use the great quality (even though they're older) lenses.

Ishkabibble
11-08-2005, 12:08 PM
I would concur that any current dSLR will provide you the manual control you seek. Most, if not all, dSLR cameras on the market today offer a pleasing feature set... manufacturers have learned much since dSLR first came into being.

You have likely assumed that users of a Pentax forum will be biased toward Pentax product; if so, you are right. I'm biased towards Pentax and can offer reasons to justify my preference. An added advantage is present on Pentax dSLRs, as they are backwards compatible with a wider range of accessories, such as older lenses. This might not seem like much, but it does cut your costs considerably if you can take advantage of it. This compatibility enabled me to purchase accessories that would otherwise have put me over my budget. I also liked the quality of the kit lens when compared to other kit lenses, the feel of the camera, and the extended ISO range over competitor devices.

I have mixed thoughts on the Rebel XT, having considered one myself. I liked the body and found the unit relatively responsive. But I found the kit lens of the XT to be of rather low quality and I liked the greater ISO range of the Pentax. There are also some incompatibilities with the older Sigma line of lenses. Sigma redesigned a significant number of lenses as a result, and has discounted the older line. You won't have problems of incompatibility with future lenses, but you will pay more than people who can use the discontinued set.

I would suggest you look at the automatic functions as well as manual. These prove useful in awkward situations and are an effective learning tool. Using the automatic functions, I was able to see what the camera took to be optimal for each situation, then adapt it as I saw fit. In my opinion, full manual is great when you need it, but it is also a pain when you don't.

If you are looking at cameras in the $1000-$1500 price range, I think the Pentax ist DS2 would be a great choice, as would a DS if you can still get one. I personally would choose the DS and invest what I saved into an extra lens... hey wait! That's what I did!

astro
11-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Well I actually have a reason for being biased towards Pentax :)

If you want to go all manual, Pentax *ist DS is surely your best choice over all other brands because of two main reasons.
1. Backwards compatibility with old lenses. Old manual lenses are built much better than newer plastic autofocus counterparts.
2. THE VIEWFINDER! Try manual focusing with a poor, small and dim mirror viewfinder like the ones found on the digital rebel and the D50/D70. The *ist DS comes with a high quality prism finder that's usually only found on much higher end cameras.

Mike Johnston at the Sunday Morning Photographer actually described it as the K1000 of DSLRs. If you know the K1000, it's considered one of the most popular manual 35mm cameras of all time - selling for 21years.
http://www.photo.net/mjohnston/column65/

Vich
11-08-2005, 03:30 PM
You realize - you have asked a Religious question.:D

Don't know about the claim for greater ISO range. The original Rebel is aging. Takes good shots - beyond what any digicam will offer (in some respects), but all the newer ones have better sensors. In my humble opinion (IMHO), the Canon's have the cleanest images, but its a very difficult call. The image has more to do with the lense, and I shy away from the cheapies so that may be why I think so.

For a learning experience; they're all fairly equal. Some may give you better results in demanding situations, that in turn makes it more rewarding.

Canon has, by far, the biggest R&D budget, as well as committment to staying ahead. However; Minolta and Pentax have a very nice interface.

Minolta has in-camera IS and anti-dust mechanism (DSLR's get dust build-up on the sensor, eventually visible on images but is easily cleaned too).

Pentax has a great feel, LCD display, and many satisfied users (particularly newcomers).

Most Pros use Canon or Nikon - in large part because of the upgrade path to top Pro-Level cameras that use the same lenses. Also; they have the largest user base so camera stores tend to have rental lenses, easier to find advice, etc.

In short; you won't go wrong with any. If the Pentax suits you, go for it! Particularly if you plan on sticking to a tight budget. Canon and Nikon DSLR owners, for some reason, always wind up spending $4000 (or more). Donno why. Temptation I think (back to that "Religious" thing :) ).

Balrog
11-08-2005, 05:31 PM
In short; you won't go wrong with any. If the Pentax suits you, go for it! Particularly if you plan on sticking to a tight budget. Canon and Nikon DSLR owners, for some reason, always wind up spending $4000 (or more). Donno why. Temptation I think (back to that "Religious" thing :) ).

Hahah .. Vich, go over to the Pentax SLR Talk forum on DPReview .. look around for threads with the words "LBA" in them. :D Lens-Buying-Addiction .. practically everyone there has collections of more lenses than I could ever use, and are still lusting after more :D the Limiteds, the FA*s, old manual lenses, new DA lenses, there's no end to it..

Also .. Minolta only has in-camera IS. The anti-dust mechanism is on the Olympus cameras.

astro
11-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Hahah .. Vich, go over to the Pentax SLR Talk forum on DPReview .. look around for threads with the words "LBA" in them. :D Lens-Buying-Addiction .. practically everyone there has collections of more lenses than I could ever use, and are still lusting after more :D the Limiteds, the FA*s, old manual lenses, new DA lenses, there's no end to it..

Also .. Minolta only has in-camera IS. The anti-dust mechanism is on the Olympus cameras.

hehe. Yup I have lens buying addiction too. But old manual lenses on ebay are so cheap. My lens collection as seen in my sig only costed me roughly $500 total. :D

Vich
11-08-2005, 11:11 PM

Listen; I demand the right to spend at least 2 months salary on the lenses I eventually purchase! If used; I won't even THINK about getting anything less than 85% of the original, new, inbox, warrantied version!

You Pentax guys think you're fancy with $500 collections of old greats. What do you think this is, a musical instrument hobby!!!

Why, you whipper snappers! I have half a mind to buy a universal lense converter and try some of them out myself. Show offs!:mad:

Balrog
11-09-2005, 08:29 AM
Listen; I demand the right to spend at least 2 months salary on the lenses I eventually purchase! If used; I won't even THINK about getting anything less than 85% of the original, new, inbox, warrantied version!

You Pentax guys think you're fancy with $500 collections of old greats. What do you think this is, a musical instrument hobby!!!

Why, you whipper snappers! I have half a mind to buy a universal lense converter and try some of them out myself. Show offs!:mad:

:D I was just pointing out that ending up spending $4000 plus is something not limited to nikon or canon buyers ...