PDA

View Full Version : Macro Camera Recommendations

HarveyDad
07-11-2004, 09:50 AM
Steve's Digicams and other locations display many close-up photos, and they indicate that about 95% of the pics were taken with cameras that cost $1000 and up. Are there any good macro-capable cameras in the 4-600 dollar range?
Thanks.

Jake Conner
07-11-2004, 11:18 AM
Two that immediately spring to mind are Fuji's S7000 and Nikon's Coolpix 4500. The S7000 is a better all-around camera, but the 4500 has the best macro ever put in an all-in-one. It's out of production, so you'll have to check eBay.

Jake

John_Reed
07-11-2004, 01:40 PM
Steve's Digicams and other locations display many close-up photos, and they indicate that about 95% of the pics were taken with cameras that cost $1000 and up. Are there any good macro-capable cameras in the 4-600 dollar range?
Thanks.
For about $600, you can buy a Panasonic DMC-FZ10 + a PD62 Pemaraal adapter, + a Nikon 6T closeup lens, and thus you'll be able to fill up the frame with a fly, if that suits your fancy. Here's a shot submitted by someone over on the dpreview "Panasonic Talk" forum taken with just that setup, using the onboard flash of the FZ10:
http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/v130/rbbnet/fly_crop.jpg

jamison55
07-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Wow, that fly is amazing. My Olympus 5050 ($350 refurb'd on EBay) takes great macros, and I believe they carried the macro features to the 5060 as well. The Oly's have both macro and "super macro" which allow you to take pics from about 1-2cm away. And the Oly's come with a remote control to trigger the shutter, which is a must for macro photography (remote shutter release, and a tripod).

Rhys
07-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Well, I use a Nikon 995 which generates pictures slightly bigger than the FZ-1. Mine isn't taken with such a lot of zoom but it's quite pleasant. Maybe you could consider a 995, secondhand?

To see my fly: paste http://uk.geocities.com/rhys_sage/The-Fly.JPG into your browser. Yahoo Geocities is messing about.

Jake Conner
07-11-2004, 07:42 PM
Well, if we're talking about accessory macro... get any camera with a long tele, then get a 75mm F1.9 Wollensak Oscillo Raptar (should be about $20) in a shutter that supports T mode and reverse it in front of the lens. It's bulky, but it gives some of the most beautiful macro results I've ever seen. By the way, any bright, 60-100mm tessar-type lens designed for close-up work will do, but the above is one of the cheapest and is so sharp that I fail to see the point in spending hundereds on something better. Also, this method does not result in light loss, the speed is just to make sure the lens has a big enough diameter to cover a DZLR's lens without vignetting.

Jake

John_Reed
07-11-2004, 11:02 PM
To see my fly: paste http://uk.geocities.com/rhys_sage/The-Fly.JPG into your browser. Yahoo Geocities is messing about.
I couldn't get your link to work, Rhys. One thing I forgot to mention about the Panasonic/Nikon 6T combo is that the fly shot wasn't taken close up to the fly; it turns out you take your shot with the FZ10 at full zoom, and with the 6T, that makes the optimum focus take place somewhere around 10 inches from the subject. Hence the on-board flash can work on macro shots, since the lens barrel doesn't shield the subject from the flash, and you can also use the combo for shooting tidepool subjects under water. That may also be true of the accessory lenses Jake was recommending, I don't know about that.

Jake Conner
07-12-2004, 10:06 AM
Yes, that's true of all accessory macro lenses as far as I know.

Jake

HarveyDad
07-13-2004, 02:20 PM
Thanks to all for your advice. For Jake Conner: could you please expand on your advice re:"75mm Wollensak Oscilla etc"? Where would a person find that lens? If you reverse it, how is attached to the camera? I am a slow learner and need things explained in detail. Thanks again.

Jake Conner
07-13-2004, 10:11 PM
You find it on google or ebay. It is attached to the lens with gaffers tape, unless you feel inclined to do something more elaborate. With a 210mm prime (built-in) lens, it gives a frame about 6-8mm across, but depth of field is nearly zero. Here's a practical example (Butterfly Weed, uncropped). It's horribly downsized, but you get the idea. The size limit of 39K is too low for any meaningful res test, email me if you want one. Jeff, any chance of raising that limit a bit?

Jake

John_Reed
07-14-2004, 07:17 AM
You find it on google or ebay. It is attached to the lens with gaffers tape, unless you feel inclined to do something more elaborate. With a 210mm prime (built-in) lens, it gives a frame about 6-8mm across, but depth of field is nearly zero. Here's a practical example (Butterfly Weed, uncropped). It's horribly downsized, but you get the idea. The size limit of 39K is too low for any meaningful res test, email me if you want one. Jeff, any chance of raising that limit a bit?

Jake
All the images I've included were done with the IMG brackets; I didn't see these in yours, so does that mean you pasted your image in directly? With the IMG brackets, I think you can use larger images, as this site is only storing the link to the image, hosted somewhere else. Hey, Jake, getting into Smugmug is practically free, and it's a very convenient hosting site to use.

Jake Conner
07-14-2004, 11:37 PM
Ya, I'm going to set up a Pro account as soon as I've got enough of my stuff put together... and yes, that's attached directly.

Jake

Rob vdKam
07-29-2005, 09:06 AM
One thing I forgot to mention about the Panasonic/Nikon 6T combo is that the fly shot wasn't taken close up to the fly; it turns out you take your shot with the FZ10 at full zoom, and with the 6T, that makes the optimum focus take place somewhere around 10 inches from the subject.

Newbie question: I have a 6T from my SLR days and just bought a digicam (H1). Do I understand correctly that

1) the 6T close-up lens just sits on the end of the converter and doesn't need to attach to the lens itself as it did on my SLR?

2) that the close-up lens means you can do the same macro work as without the lens but farther away from the subject?

Will the depth of field for the 6T be any worse than using the macro setting on the camera?

Thanks -- Rob

floridalady
07-04-2007, 11:24 AM
I wonder if someone can Help. I want to set up a macro photo unit just for taking macro real closups of jewelry that can show real good detail. I have been trying to look at cameras but the sales people have trouble themselves trying to demonstrate.and recommend a camera. I am confused and really need help. I will be using the camera in this one position mode, and purpose,on a fixed tripod, just changing the pieces. can anyone recomend a camera or set up just for this purpose .

AdamW
07-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Floridalady--what's your budget? Does it incude a tripod? Lighting? What will you do with the pictures (print? Web?)