PDA

View Full Version : lens options for *ist DS

Ishkabibble
11-07-2005, 01:56 PM
I have been oogling the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 lens for some time now, but hesitate because I question the price/benefit ratio. I like the 1lb 28-300 I presently own (F3.5-6.3), but find it is somewhat slow for certain occasions (Christmas play coming up for example). Can anyone suggest a compromise between weight and speed that is worth considering? Have I narrowed this to the best option for my needs?

Factors in my decision:
Cost: <$1G CDN (or <$800 USD)
Weight: 3lb max, lighter is much better
Speed: F2.8 or better (haha, better than 2.8 at this price?!?)
Length: max 14-15" retracted, including camera
Range: must include 100-200 range or close to it (would love more)
Functions:Does not need to function on automatic mode (older Pentax lenses come to mind, but which ones?)

The Sigma comes in at $1100 CDN, slightly out of my price range.

I'm also interested in a fast wide angle, and see Sigma has come out with a non-fish-eye 14mm F1.4; has anyone tried it?

Ironman11
11-07-2005, 03:45 PM
I own the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, and use it for low-light sports photography. I love it, and its been a great lens.

It is a little bulky, but not overly big or anything. I haven't shot anything such as an indoor play, which you need the lens for, but it has done wonders on low-light places such as high-school football games and short-track races. I've attached one of my football shots taken with the lens.

Hope this helps,
Alex

campbell.robertson
11-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Hi, Sorry I realized I posted in the wrong thread

I have been enjoying my new ist DS, however I have a K mount M 200mm lens that I used with my old K-1000. How do I get it to work with the DS? I know that I will be completely manual, but when I set the lens setting to MF and pick manual (M) on the dial, nothing happens? I have checked the manual and can't figure out what I am doing.

Help!

Thanks

Campbell

Ishkabibble
11-17-2005, 02:41 PM
Go to Menu --> Custom Settings -->Using Aperture Ring and choose option 2.

This will allow lenses to function if the Aperture ring is set manually, as it would be on your lens.