PDA

View Full Version : Where can i find the FZ20 (Uk) ...not online shops please

Andy.ro
10-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Okay ..i am getting desperate about the camera but i want to see it and play with it for a bit before i buy it. Also i would like not to buy it online since i am an from Romania, and i would like to get my VAT back when i leave UK :) (60 pounds) If i buy from an online shop i can't get it back.

I am currently at Oxford studying, but i'm willing to go to London aswell just to check it out.
So if anybody has an ideea in which shop i can see the FZ20 please reply :)

the big retailers ( Dixons, PCworld, Curry's never heard of Panasonic making still digital cameras :)
Anybody ..help :)

Jayde
10-05-2004, 12:17 AM
Andy

HI :)
If u pay with a cheque / credit card.. , thats not paying online but by phone.. next day delivery free just order from anywhere in UK..
or post a cheque.. takes 3/5 days tho

cheapest online is Amazon . com usually
but
I pay by card but complete the order by calling them..
go thru the online order bit, get to card bit then call them :D
ie dont enter the card details ring them thas not paying online either
0800 279 6620 free

btw
try and get cable release at same time !

for cameras and most electrical items Online shops, BUT most have addresses too.. look for contact link
http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/photography/digital-cameras/223272/prices

or
Try Jessops or Jacobs they have shops all over the uk not cheapest

you will need extra battery or 2 avail from US within days from battery barn
and
Lens adaptor from USA and filter ( later maybe )
see my post here
"Purchased a FZ10/20 ? this will help :) "

pana are terrible for accessories in uk so i get some of mine from USA...
lens adaptor / battery
Jessops may carry cable release 0800 652 6400 freecall

FZ10 FAQ is everything FZ10 and 20
http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/DMCFZ10/

have a good time
:)

Andy.ro
10-05-2004, 09:31 AM
Thanx for your prompt reply but unfortunately it doesn't work that way with the Customs.

Last year when i bought my digital camera ( Canon Digital Ixus I/ Elph ) i got it from amazon.co.uk and ordered it through phone. And the Customs said that i cannot get my VAT back. :eek:

Anyways .. last night i've been on a shopping spree and i ordered the camera from dabs.com/uk 382 pounds with next day delivery :) I figured ... either spend the VAT on the camera ..and get it next day or go out clubbing with that money and spend it in one night :)

So i can't wait to get it!

Thanx for the useful links about the FZ10 ... it's very useful :)

Jayde
10-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Whoo nice one Andy.. great camera, price too
shooting Autumn in Oxford eh.. have fun :cool: m8 !

Andy.ro
10-05-2004, 10:14 AM
aye ..that was one of the reasons i wanted the camera A.S.A.P :) couldn't wait anymore.

I've been looking at it since they announced it :D

judge9847
10-05-2004, 10:38 AM
Always worth a check on-line even if you purchase elsewhere. Warehouse Express in Norwich (UK) has the camera at 369 right this moment and although you can order through their web site, there are phone numbers as well.

They are a good, reliable and from personal experience, an honest company too. I've dealt with them several times now - I bought my FZ10 from them and extra memory cards too - and they're up there with the best.

I take it from your reply about not being able to get your VAT back that you are not a Briton by birth or by naturalization but that you bought your camera whilst you were here in the UK. Would that be correct?

Did they give you a reason for not being able to get your VAT back? I'd be interested to know because I've got some contacts who might be able to throw some light on the issue.

Andy.ro
10-05-2004, 12:20 PM
I take it from your reply about not being able to get your VAT back that you are not a Briton by birth or by naturalization but that you bought your camera whilst you were here in the UK. Would that be correct?

Thank you for your help but i got this when i bought my laptop. I bought a Dell Inspirion from dell.co.uk and it was 1200+pounds. When i left the country to go back home on vacation i've been told from the guys in the Customs that they are not allowed to pay back the VAT if i've bought the product from an online based company.

Even Dell have phone numbers but it is still an on-line based company.

If what i said doesn't make any sense :) check out these links from Dabs.com.

It's all about a recent law that has been passed in the Uk.

How do you claim a VAT refund on leaving the UK?

In 1999, HM Customs & Excise - the UK government department which deals with VAT, changed the VAT rules for mail order/Internet companies like dabs.com.

As a result we're no longer able to operate the Retail Export Scheme, also known as VAT 407. The Retail Export Scheme basically allowed customers buying goods from us and then exporting them to a country outside of the EU, (within a three month period) to claim a refund on the VAT paid.

The HM Customs & Excise rules are out of our control and therefore unfortunately, as all other mail order companies/Internet based companies, we're unable to assist with this matter.

taken from http://www.dabs.com/uk/help/buyingandpayment/VAT_refunds.htm

judge9847
10-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks for that information. I understand now what's going on. I'm a long way out of date it seems.

I'm still guessing that you'd be seen as a "foriegn national" from the UK's point of view and if that's the case then you will have paid 17.5% VAT when you purchased your laptop. I thought (wrongly it seems) that you could still get that back when you took it out of the EU.

That's tough on those who aren't a citizen of the UK or EU - and expensive -but I guess it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see the obvious fiddle that could be made ...

RobertJ
10-16-2004, 03:20 AM
Okay ..i am getting desperate about the camera but i want to see it and play with it for a bit before i buy it. Also i would like not to buy it online since i am an from Romania, and i would like to get my VAT back when i leave UK :) (60 pounds) If i buy from an online shop i can't get it back.

I am currently at Oxford studying, but i'm willing to go to London aswell just to check it out.
So if anybody has an ideea in which shop i can see the FZ20 please reply :)

A bit late in replying, but may be useful for others to know. I have bought my last two digital camers from my local Jessops store, BUT always check online for the cheapest price before hand, as Jessops operate a "pricematch" for any/most UK based online company. Just bought the FZ20 yesterday from them for 340 GBP (Jessops instore price is 440 GBP)

Andy.ro
10-16-2004, 04:26 AM
i got mine 2 weeks ago for 370 from dabs with next day delivery.

A bit more ..but i got it next day :) Jessops didn't have it in store and not in stock ;( By now they should have it i think.