PDA

View Full Version : New E-300 Owner!

stekar@mac.com
11-06-2005, 10:46 PM
I've just bought two Olympus cameras - E-500 and E-300 - for comparisons, and at the end I decided to keep the E-300.
IMHO, it delivers better in-focus images and the price was right: $ 699.00 for the two-kit lens at Fry's.

According to Olympus, the E-500 is NOT the updated/new model of the E-300 and they advise buyers to purchase the one that's right for them. This is why they have all three on their Web Site front page still.

I wanted to get the E-500 (only $ 799.00 for two-lens kit @Costco), but pics taken in Aperture Pri mode were always blurry, while the same aperture and lens resulted in sharp pics on the E-300. In P or Portrait mode, the E-300 was still sharper even though the E-500 was in-focus this time. Also, the focus seems to hunt less and faster than the one found in the E-500.
These are just my observations and I might have been doing something wrong, who knows, but for some reason the E-300 worked out better for me.

BTW, the new Firmware 1.3 seems to solve all the metering and other problems as reported in various Web sites.

Summary:
---------
After taking over 100 pics with both models, I prefer the E-300 for its construction, pics quality and features (two flashes can be used - bounce and direct -, underwater housing that I intend to buy later). I never thought I'd like the odd design of the E-300 but its handling is simply amazing and suits my hands very well.

FYI: I had a Nikon D50 and while a terrific camera (build quality, handling, pics), I didn't want to deal with the dust, thus my interest in the Olympus D-SLR's.

I'm curious to see if some of you had better luck with the E-500 and could maybe shed some light on how to use it properly.

Norm in Fujino
11-06-2005, 11:02 PM
I also have the e-300 and prefer it for the better build and viewfinder diopter range. The E-500 has less adjustability and I can't get it to give me a clear vf even when set to max. I think the E-500 may have slightly better WB and exposure sensor, but not enough to make me want to change. I'm waiting for the e-1's upgrade next year.

Also, please see my private message to you.

Norm in Fujino
11-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi Guys...can u let me know if you have some pix gallery with E-300..

Hi, I don't have a public gallery yet--I'm planning to start a photo blog before long though. You can see some of my shots by looking at my profile and finding other posts I've made; here are a some of a tour through Tokyo (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13858) I posted recently. You should also check out the galleries on sites like myfourthirds (http://www.myfourthirds.com) and fourthirdsphoto (http://fourthirdsphoto.com/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,51/), and the various Yahoo Olympus communities. Also quite a few photos are posted on the Olympus dSLR board of the Digital Photograph Review (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1022) board.

Here's a starter, taken at a local festival, just for the colors:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/Peregrinor/P7172634a.jpg
E-300 +ZD50-200mm (72mm) 1/250s @ f4, ISO 100
This was shot in SHQ JPEG mode and only resized, no other pp.

Vich
11-09-2005, 10:32 PM
I also have the e-300 and prefer it for the better build and viewfinder diopter range. The E-500 has less adjustability and I can't get it to give me a clear vf even when set to max. I think the E-500 may have slightly better WB and exposure sensor, but not enough to make me want to change. I'm waiting for the e-1's upgrade next year.

Also, please see my private message to you.
Norm: I'm curious what "vf" is.

A good friend just got the E-500. They are complete novices and money is tight. They are thrilled with the purchase so far but before the return time is up, I wonder if I should poiint out some of the concerns you guys have mentioned. If they are just subjective and a trade-off with other improvements, then I'll keep mum since I wouldn't want to burst their bubble.

The OP's complaint of Av affecting focus sounds very odd. If the Apeture was set wide open, then maybe the "P" mode would opt for F-8 or so, that may make sense. (note: P is "Program Mode", not Portriat)

I've read Jeff's review of this camera, he seemed to think the E-500 was a bit sharper. To quote:

"Overall I was very pleased with the E-500's image quality. Looking back at the photos I took with the E-300, I find the E-500's photo quality to be noticeable better, in terms of both noise and sharpness. The E-500 compares well with other D-SLRs too, with low noise levels, accurate exposure, and saturated color. I did not find purple fringing to be a problem. The only thing I noticed is the occasional appearance "jaggies" on straight edges."

I'm guessing the OP had a bad copy.

I don't understand "Electronic Focus" beyond what it implies, so maybe it was off calibration or had a firmware problem. The firmware upgrade sounds like a good call.

Norm; you've posted some amazing shots as well as shown a keen knowlege of photography. Do you think I should give them a few tests to run thru, or just let it slide and if anything seems amiss later, just let them handle it thru warranty?

Norm in Fujino
11-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Norm: I'm curious what "vf" is.

Just an abbreviation for "ViewFinder"

I wonder if I should poiint out some of the concerns you guys have mentioned. If they are just subjective and a trade-off with other improvements, then I'll keep mum since I wouldn't want to burst their bubble.

Since I don't know your friends, I dunno really what to say, but if they switched to another camera would it solve all their issues? Probably not. As just one example, if they went to the XT, they'd have dust to worry (?) about (if they're the worrying type), and they'd also have to put up with its poor (IMO) ergonomics (this has to do mostly when shooting with a left master eye, since my right thumb sticks squarely in my nose with the XT, while there is plenty of clearance with the D50 and D-500); plus the XT's kit lenses aren't anything special (both optically and in terms of construction); in those senses the D-500 is clearly better. What would they gain? Mostly a bit of high-ISO performance if they shoot a lot there (and print large), but not much otherwise. (I do think there are probably some advantages to the E-500 over the E-300, but just not enough to make me want to change--and the biggest negative is the diopter range, as I noted.)

I don't understand "Electronic Focus" beyond what it implies . . .

I haven't looked back at the original message, but perhaps they were referring to the Olympus "focus by wire" system. There is no mechanical linkage when focusing manually; turning the focus ring operates a servo motor that actually effects the focus change. It feels a bit strange when you first do it, but it works quite well. The faster you turn the ring the greater amount of focus shift.

If your friends are beginners under budget constraints, the E-500 sounds like a great camera to start out on. I certainly can't think of any better one for the money. I haven't heard of any noteworthy early failures or other problems, so I'd probably let them enjoy themselves. It produces great out-of-camera color and should please them--but no guarantees are implied!;)

Vich
11-10-2005, 10:47 PM
If your friends are beginners under budget constraints, the E-500 sounds like a great camera to start out on. I certainly can't think of any better one for the money. I haven't heard of any noteworthy early failures or other problems, so I'd probably let them enjoy themselves. It produces great out-of-camera color and should please them--but no guarantees are implied!;)
Thanks Norm; I'll just let it lie. They'll be thrilled with it. Buyer's remorse comes easily enough without help. They know it's not perfection, and they have pretty good judgement. They wanted the Canon 20D but couldn't afford it.

They're real happy so far and they don't know enough to find any dissatisfaction. They'll probably use the pre-programmed modes (portriat etc.) or just AUTO for quite a while, so it'll behave like a P&S with much better ISO and metering - and 2 lenses.

I'll go set them up with an extra hard disk, show them about RAW processing, and maybe ooh and aaah over the many shots they've surely taken so far.:)

Appreciate the feedback.