PDA

View Full Version : FZ20 EVF has washed out look in sunlight

eureka07
10-04-2004, 06:28 PM
just bought a fz20, when i takes pictures outside my evf is very faded or washed out, hard to see anything. is this what to expect, or should it be sharp and clear?

genece
10-05-2004, 06:25 AM
you need an eyecup and unfortunately you need to hunt for something that works. there are a couple from either canon or nikon that work.
Maybe this will help
nikon (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=10549769)

I am using an eyepiece from a Orion telescope.
Needs a bit of rigging but it works very well
orion (http://www.telescope.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=170&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=6&iSubCat=36&iProductID=170)

John_Reed
10-05-2004, 06:48 AM
just bought a fz20, when i takes pictures outside my evf is very faded or washed out, hard to see anything. is this what to expect, or should it be sharp and clear?If you're really referring to your EVF (inside the viewfinder) and not the LCD (back panel display), I'd say you might have a defective unit. I don't use an eyecup with my FZ10, and the only time I have trouble seeing through the EVF is when there's sunshine coming in from the side. When I wear my "sun hat," no problem at all. Perfectly bright display. And I wear eyeglasses all the time too.

judge9847
10-05-2004, 09:43 AM
just bought a fz20, when i takes pictures outside my evf is very faded or washed out, hard to see anything. is this what to expect, or should it be sharp and clear?
If by chance you do mean the LCD on the back and not the EVF that you look through (it's the Electronic ViewFinder) when you're preparing to take your photo, then it's adjustable via. one of the menus. On the FZ10 (check your manual because it could be different on the FZ20) it's the first item on the "Setup" menu. It's just possible that it has somehow been moved to the extreme right which could give the sort of "problem" you have now.

If it's not that, John's suggestion that it's a defective unit would probably be the answer.

jeff
10-05-2004, 02:58 PM
there is a diopter adjustment for the EVF, try to play with it
jeff

judge9847
10-05-2004, 04:19 PM
there is a diopter adjustment for the EVF, try to play with it
jeff
True and a good idea as well but the diopter adjustment is really about focusing the EVF for your own use. Still, you never know!

eureka07
10-05-2004, 06:08 PM
If by chance you do mean the LCD on the back and not the EVF that you look through (it's the Electronic ViewFinder) when you're preparing to take your photo, then it's adjustable via. one of the menus. On the FZ10 (check your manual because it could be different on the FZ20) it's the first item on the "Setup" menu. It's just possible that it has somehow been moved to the extreme right which could give the sort of "problem" you have now.

If it's not that, John's suggestion that it's a defective unit would probably be the answer.
So are you saying that the eva outside is basically the same you see when inside? Mine is very different.

eureka07
10-05-2004, 06:13 PM
you need an eyecup and unfortunately you need to hunt for something that works. there are a couple from either canon or nikon that work.
Maybe this will help
nikon (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=10549769)

I am using an eyepiece from a Orion telescope.
Needs a bit of rigging but it works very well
orion (http://www.telescope.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=170&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=6&iSubCat=36&iProductID=170)
Thanks for the tip, would you say the problem I described is similar to the performance of your camera?

eureka07
10-05-2004, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the comment, I am new to digicams. Should I expect the quality of the evf when viewed outside, and in sunlight to be similar to the quality when viewed inside? Thanks

eureka07
10-05-2004, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the comment. I checked the setup menu, the setting is in the middle.Is the quality of your evf when used outside, not in shade, similar to the quality you get when inside? Thanks for your help.

eureka07
10-05-2004, 06:28 PM
If you're really referring to your EVF (inside the viewfinder) and not the LCD (back panel display), I'd say you might have a defective unit. I don't use an eyecup with my FZ10, and the only time I have trouble seeing through the EVF is when there's sunshine coming in from the side. When I wear my "sun hat," no problem at all. Perfectly bright display. And I wear eyeglasses all the time too.
Thanks for the comment. The quality of the evf on my camera is drastically different inside compared to outside. When outside, in the sunlight, not shade it considerble different, at wide angle, almost impossible, at zoom improves. Is this the way it should be? Thanks for your help.

genece
10-05-2004, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the tip, would you say the problem I described is similar to the performance of your camera?

That is the way I took it ,,I have a very hard time seeing the EVF in bright light.
If you would have someone else hold the camera and use your hands to cup around the viewfinder to block the light and you can see it better then I think you need an eyecup.
The light seems to affect some of us more than others.

Also some say just using a ball cap helps.

judge9847
10-06-2004, 09:45 AM

That is the way I took it ,,I have a very hard time seeing the EVF in bright light.
If you would have someone else hold the camera and use your hands to cup around the viewfinder to block the light and you can see it better then I think you need an eyecup.
The light seems to affect some of us more than others.

Also some say just using a ball cap helps.
Well, bottom line is that the screen at the back of the camera doesn't affect the EVF which is "in" the viewfinder. The EVF, which you're saying is washed out in sunlight, doesn't seem to be affected by changes to the LCD setup.

You should NOT see big changes in the EVF when using it indoors or outdoors. It shouldn't be "washed out". If you do see it like that, problems with an individuals eyesight apart, then I think the camera should be taken - or sent - back because it sounds from the descriptions here that it is faulty. Don't waste your money on eyecups and stuff until it's absolutely necessary.