PDA

View Full Version : Very Basic Questions!!

eileen3
11-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Iam really a newwbie, and have a few very basic questions. I have an Olympus D-560 Zoom. I have a 128mg card in it , but no one can tell me how many photoes that card will take. I have it on a normal resolution as I do not print photoes only copy them to disc. On vacation I purchased a second card of 128 after I had taken 100 photoes in case I ran out of space.
Next question, when i transferred from the card to my P.C. I used Dazzle, the sequence of photoes gets moved around and does not follow the trip sequence. This has happened both trips I used the camera on. During the trip I check the photoes I took each day and erase the ones I do not like. Would this cause the pictures to get out of sequence?
Any help would be appreciated. The pictures on digital really are great. Thanks Hope to learn a lot from all you experts

Norm in Fujino
11-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Iam really a newwbie, and have a few very basic questions. I have an Olympus D-560 Zoom. I have a 128mg card in it , but no one can tell me how many photoes that card will take. I have it on a normal resolution as I do not print photoes only copy them to disc.

The number of photos you can take is a function of the size of each photo and the size of the memory card. The size of the photo file depends on the resolution setting and subject matter. I don't know anything about your camera other than what I see on the web, so the best thing would be for you to use Windows explorer or other file handling system to look at the folder on your computer where your photos are kept and check the average file sizes. For example, if your photos are about 2.5 MB each in size, then the number of shots you can take on a 128MB card is 128/2.5=51 (this is an about number, since jpeg photos will vary in size depending on the complexity/color of the subject). If the file size is only 1.5MB, then you can take 128/1.5= about 85 shots per card. If you're able to get 100 shots per card, it means your file size is 128/100=1.28MB or so. As you've discovered, smaller file sizes mean more shots per card but also lower quality, and at some point you'll even be able to detect that lower quality onscreen, so I wouldn't go too low, particularly if you have any thought that you might ever want to print them.

Next question, when i transferred from the card to my P.C. I used Dazzle, the sequence of photoes gets moved around and does not follow the trip sequence. This has happened both trips I used the camera on.

I know nothing about Dazzle, but in general photo organizing programs are convenient, but you pay for that convenience in lack of transparency. By that, I mean you don't know what they are really doing with your photos. All I can suggest is that you might check the instructions and see if there's a way to reorganize or rename your shots in a specific order.

Rob vdKam
11-07-2005, 06:41 AM
Iam really a newwbie, and have a few very basic questions. I have an Olympus D-560 Zoom. I have a 128mg card in it , but no one can tell me how many photoes that card will take.
Also, your camera should have information on the screen that you see when you are taking pictures. Do you see numbers and symbols on that screen? One of those numbers is usually the number of pictures you have taken or have remaining before your card fills up.

Next question, when i transferred from the card to my P.C. I used Dazzle, the sequence of photoes gets moved around and does not follow the trip sequence.
Try to look at your card on your PC without using any program (use your system file explorer). You should be able to find your photos stored in one of the subfolders and see how the camera names/numbers them. You can also copy them directly to your normal storare area (eg. hard-disk) without using Dazzle.
Good luck!

Geoff Chandler
11-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Judging from your results, and bearing in mind this is a 3.2 M/pixal camera,
I would hazzard a guess you have it set at 'SHQ' -
top 3.2 M/Pixal quality Thats 2048 x 1560
This camera doesn't seem to have a 2 M/Pixal setting (1600 x 1200)
but jumps down next size to 1024 x 768 which equates to 0.8 M/Pixals
(unless I am mistaken)
I recomend that you set it to HQ setting which is still 3.2 M/Pixal but using a bit more
compression - My C-740 performs great on that setting. You should expect to get around
162 pics (possibly a few more) on that setting.
Other than that - if you really need the space you will need to go down to the lower setting
- which will not look quite as good but be ok for small prints.
Good luck sorting it all out. Don't forget you can switch back and forth on the same card and take lower quality pics if you don't need the quality.

Geoff